Author Topic: A-26 Invader  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: A-26 Invader
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2010, 05:10:35 PM »
Interesting.  Did they say why it was unsuitable to the mission?  On paper it is a pure upgrade to the A-20.

The four A-26s that the 13th Bombardment Squadron received were very early production models of the A-26B.  The main reasons why there weren't so well liked in the Pacific was due to the poor visibility out either side of the cockpit and insufficient forward fire power to make it an effective straffer.  These two reasons played a large part in the USAAF's decision to give the ETO the A-26 in quantity first and then the PTO second after the A-26 was improved with a new canopy that allowed better visibility on each side and increased forward fire power for straffing.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
Interesting.  Did they say why it was unsuitable to the mission?  On paper it is a pure upgrade to the A-20.

I'd love to actually see if there was a physical report that was submitted.  In his book Henebry talks about going to the Pentagon to deliver his report on the A-26. 

They tested the A-26B and found that the plane did have many positive characteristics, it handled well, had good range, bomb load and engines.  The problems they had were somewhat related to the mission profile they were flying. 

They felt the cockpit arrangements were inefficient, and pilot visibility was hampered.  The engines extended too far forward, he said about to the 3/9 line in the pilots vision.  You could only see forward and up, which was a problem when you were making low level attacks in formation.  All in all they compiled a list of 32 grievances with the design. 

He took the list to 5th Air Force Command and was placed on special assignment by General Kenney to go tell the brass at the Pentagon that they didn't want it and would continue the war with their B-25's and A-20's.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2010, 12:17:58 AM »
pilot visibility was hampered.  The engines extended too far forward, he said about to the 3/9 line in the pilots vision.  You could only see forward and up

Why didn't they just hit F3 like we do?

:bolt:
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:31 AM »
it wasnt manly to use f3 back then.  or ho.  can u imagine all the yelling and screaming on 200 if they had?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »
Why didn't they just hit F3 like we do?

:bolt:

:lol
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2010, 09:35:49 AM »
Ack-Ack you need to change that damm avatar, I spit Coke all over my monitor when I saw that derned alien!
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2010, 11:28:33 PM »
Boy Ithink with such an historic past, and rabid following..., this plane should be introduced as soon as is ecinomicaly possible...

About time the bombers had a run and gun option on the deck...
Spell checker is for Morrons