Author Topic: Wingtip vortices  (Read 954 times)

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
Wingtip vortices
« on: January 29, 2010, 02:18:32 AM »
Would it be possible to expand AH2's graphic engine to display wingtip vortices?

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
Re: Wingtip vortices
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 04:19:35 AM »
The tools are already there, see the fuel leaks and smoke as examples....

Might take a bit of tweaking to make them look right though.

Strip

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 04:44:35 AM »
A slight adjusment to the allready in place "Trail" code  ;)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »
It would be sweet to see con trails on an aircraft pulling hard maneuvers.  But what about aircraft flying at high alt?  Vapor trails would be cool.  You'd have to figure how to make it different from a fuel leak though. :lol  Otherwise, you might think you are fine, when in fact, you have a fuel leak.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:39:40 PM »
and then you hit control+d to see what part of your plane is damaged.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 10:17:47 AM »
Wingtip vortices would indeed be a nice addition to the list of eye candy. Vapor trails are somewhat controversial as there have been talks of spotting bombers more easily, decreased frame-rates, and an increase in lag. Regardless, I continue to support both wishes.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »
It would be sweet to see con trails on an aircraft pulling hard maneuvers.  But what about aircraft flying at high alt?  Vapor trails would be cool.  You'd have to figure how to make it different from a fuel leak though. :lol  Otherwise, you might think you are fine, when in fact, you have a fuel leak.
Didnt they fix it so when the tank was out of fuel it stops the trail?

:salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
Didnt they fix it so when the tank was out of fuel it stops the trail?

:salute
Bah!  I COMPLETELY forgot about that.  Though I honestly have to say, it would be nice if you can still use the tank that is bleeding dry.  You know, to at least get SOME use out of it before it's empty.  As is, you get a fuel leak, it automatically switches to the next tank and you can't switch to the leaking tank (I'm not sure if you were manually controlling your fuel usage when you got hit).  You'd have to make sure you switch before it runs dry.  As for those of you who would say, "That would be a pain in the arse.", if you manually changed to it and crashed, or got ganked because of a dead engine, well, you did it to yourself.  :lol

and then you hit control+d to see what part of your plane is damaged.
I don't use the ctrl+d command very much, if at all.  The gauges and indicators (if I don't visually spot the problem), will tell me something is wrong.  Kinda hard to miss a fuel leak as you'd have a "swivel" head in combat anyway.  :lol  And if you manage to miss an oil leak on a single engine aircraft, well, I honestly don't know WHAT to say to that...  :lol  The same goes for Pilot Wound.  :rofl  Losing flaps would be kinda hard to peg on certain aircraft until you use them or if you are using them when you lose one, but you can almost always tell right away, if you lost an aileron, elevator or rudder (for those of us who actually use it).
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »
Wingtip vortices would indeed be a nice addition to the list of eye candy. Vapor trails are somewhat controversial as there have been talks of spotting bombers more easily, decreased frame-rates, and an increase in lag. Regardless, I continue to support both wishes.
If you did see any signs of vortices off the wings of the planes in AH...the weather conditions would have to be correct and the effect would be fleeting...nothing like you see on modern jet aircraft.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
Yes, but contrails, otoh, were significant to both defender and attacker.

I do like the tip vortex idea. If they occur realistically, then you can only call any resultant confusion between your tip vortices and a fuel leakto be realistic. I seriously doubt I'd confuse the two, done correctly. As noted above, the volume of air affected is small enough for our a/c set that visual effects would be muted w/r e/g/ a low alt F-16.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:46:25 PM »
If you did see any signs of vortices off the wings of the planes in AH...the weather conditions would have to be correct and the effect would be fleeting...nothing like you see on modern jet aircraft.
I'm aware of that. That's why I also support (have for some time) the implementation of weather.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:34:29 AM »
I'm aware of that. That's why I also support (have for some time) the implementation of weather.
I'd rather see contrails at high alts...more common than the occasional wingtip vortice on a WWII era prop plane.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 06:45:57 AM »
I'd rather see contrails at high alts...more common than the occasional wingtip vortice on a WWII era prop plane.

Indeed.

Oddly, we have yet to mention prop vortices here. It'd likely occur under very similar conditions - high moisture content air precip'ing due to the pressure decrease on the "lifted" (pressure decreased) side of the prop airfoil section
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 01:44:04 AM »
That would also be awesome.  Chances are, if they were to add just one of these at a time, the contrails at high altitude would be the first put in.  Would be neat to be sitting in a tower, then start seeing contrails of bombers going by on a strat/HQ raid.
HiTech

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 01:49:19 AM »
More eye candy please.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."