Author Topic: Please no more big maps  (Read 1560 times)

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Please no more big maps
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »
approx 10 years ago I gave up my ps2 for a pc because i thought it would be fun to actually play against other people online. I did some random searches and somehow found aces high. I was instantly hooked. well after i learned how to take off anyways.

It didn't take long at all to get into it with opposition, there was action generally at any base minus a few of the rear ones. But it didnt really take long for those bases to get their share especially near a reset. YAH! we actually had resets back then.

Maps were small which forced people to fight eachother, forced opposition. Now a days with everyone making these huge maps the game play just seems so watered down. I think i spend more time in tower looking for fights or trying to get to one than i do actually fighting anybody. And once i finally find something as soon as there is a hint that my side is getting the edge the opposition will move on to one of the billion other fields.

The only fix would be smaller maps or making every day like titanic tuesday because split arena's + large maps ='s bunk game play.
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Please no more big maps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
Only small maps? No thank you.
It was a happy day for me when the big maps came back up. Variety & choices are the way to go.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:26:44 PM »
It is an interesting discussion topic.  I for one am not a big proponent of the "massive" part of MMO.  I prefer smaller gatherings...typically for me having 20-30  players per team on a three team medium sized map  (aka Mid War) is far preferred over those enormous LW maps with a hundred players per team.  Typically on those giant maps it degenerates into two or three massive fights anyway leaving vast expanses of terrains un-utilized.

I have no solutions for you, I agree with you.  Good luck.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »
Variety & choices are the way to go.

Horde or be horded I like your choices  :aok . Small fights can be fun but eventually even those will die out. You either end up fighting alone against a small mob or being part of a mob yourself fighting against ack  :huh depending on what side of the stick you end up on.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:59:19 PM by TW9 »
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
Horde or be horded I like your choices  :aok . Small fights can be fun but eventually even those will die out.

And other will come up.

What I do like is variety. Variety of having large maps as well as small maps, for both have their pro's and cons. While I do like to fly with many players on a small map from time to time, I absolutely don't like it all the time - because depending on map layout, the gameplay choices it offers to me are often very limited.

(At this point, I bing up my old wish: LWO large maps, LWB small ones only.)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »
I'm starting to like the zone limit idea that has been bounced around here before. If there are less planes allowed in a 4 sector square the flights will be spread out more and you will have many smaller battles going instead of one huge horde on a single front.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »
I think I would be happiest if HTC simply set a large map in LWO and a small one LWB all of the time.  Nothing is more irritating to me to have a map that I don't like in one arena only to find the same map in the other arena.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
Give me Mindanao!!! :old:

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 10:49:13 PM »
(At this point, I bing up my old wish: LWO large maps, LWB small ones only.)

I think I would be happiest if HTC simply set a large map in LWO and a small one LWB all of the time.  Nothing is more irritating to me to have a map that I don't like in one arena only to find the same map in the other arena.

So why not?  Has HTC ever given a reason?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 12:03:37 AM »
Make it so.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:07:37 AM »

I'd like to see this as an experiment for a couple of weeks. Either it would be a big hit and the caps would rise fairly evenly and cause no trouble, or we would have a overwhelming vote as to which size map people prefer to plan on and would have cap issues and complaints like none before.

Give me Mindanao!!! :old:

Man I miss that map. There were a lot of great spots for fights on that map. Resets happen way to fast on that one tho.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
Only small maps? No thank you.
It was a happy day for me when the big maps came back up. Variety & choices are the way to go.

Is it? conversely it can also make it a lot harder to find the reason for playing.  I have to agree with TW9 I also spend most of my time scanning darbars and feeling bored, I lack a lot of motivation now, I don't know whether thats due to gameplay or overplaying on my part though. Roll on WW1 thats variety  :)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »
I'm starting to like the zone limit idea that has been bounced around here before. If there are less planes allowed in a 4 sector square the flights will be spread out more and you will have many smaller battles going instead of one huge horde on a single front.
I was thinking that very thing last night. The map in Orange has 400 sectors, and probably 90% of all Bish online are crammed into 2-3 of em rolling bases. Not sure how being 1 guy in a 50 plane whord rolling overwhelmed fields is fun...but whatever. I always like AW's idea of having a maximum amount of planes (not sure if it differentiated planes and GV's) able to be aloft from any 1 base at any time. Mebbe small bases...20...medium..30..larg e..40? One invariably hears posts in the scenario along the line of "it's just more targets!" I'm damn sure no Richard Bong, but 1-2 planes attacking a whord with a 20k cap isn't much fun...ya can't go more than 1 turn with them, else their fellow whordlings are all over you. Dunno...262..Tempest...mebbe K4...skirting on the edges..that's about it
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
+ 1 for Big map in LWO and small map in LWB.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author