Author Topic: Please no more big maps  (Read 1579 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Please no more big maps
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »
I DEMAND SMALL MAPS

I DEMAND LARGE MAPS

I DEMAND NEW MAPS

I DEMAND YOU BRING BACK THE OLD MAPS

It's a never ending cycle...................  :bolt:
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 10:04:01 AM »
I fail to see the difference between a hoard on a large map and a hoard on a small map.

Do you believe that small maps = less hoards?

Bases closer together just means the hoards roll them that much faster.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
Im one of those guys who is pretty impartial to what map is up, as long as there is a decent fight going on somewhere.

That being said, I do get a bit irritated seeing the same map in both arenas. I wouldnt mind seeing them have some sort of way to make sure they dont have the same maps up in both arenas.

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 11:55:26 AM »
Im one of those guys who is pretty impartial to what map is up, as long as there is a decent fight going on somewhere.

thats the problem. unless its peak time theres often not a fight going on. not a sustainable one anyways and i end up going to DA or logging after sittin in tower looking for something. when you have a map with over 200 fields and split arena's where one is capped at 200 and the other has 150 in it you can pretty much guess there isnt going to be much happening.
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »
Funny thing is, is that alot of people wanted trinity map back, to have a GV fight in the tank town. And no one ever shows up there.  :lol :lol
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 12:38:44 PM »
Funny thing is, is that alot of people wanted trinity map back, to have a GV fight in the tank town. And no one ever shows up there.  :lol :lol

Unfortunately the players on the board are just a minority of the players in game. Mostly old-timers.

Trinity was unknown to the majority of AH players in game when it came back after almost 2 years. For them, it was a new map. Also most players haven't seen a real Tank Town, because the one on Ndisles was pretty much ruined by terrain redesigns in 2007. One can say the "tradition" was broken.

When Trinity came back, I immediately went to TT area in hope of getting a revival. I saw a number of old hands  there too... but it just wasn't enough to get things started, as for the hundreds of newer players it's been just a couple of Vbases in the middle of the map.

And that's very sad for me... I had tremendous fun on all TT incarnations on the various maps during my first year of AH. I miss it a lot :(
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 02:34:06 PM »
Variety is good. Small maps are fine. Personally I lean towards larger maps that have the room for putting up a cool bomber mission here & there. Just my particular flavor of fun. :)
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »
Variety is good. Small maps are fine. Personally I lean towards larger maps that have the room for putting up a cool bomber mission here & there. Just my particular flavor of fun. :)

bomber raids can be fun but unfortunately those are about the only missions i've seen recently. I've only been back a couple months but havent seen a single mission like the classic typh or 38 raids of old. Those use to be ran at least 10 times daily. And even if i did i doubt i'd join one just because more often that not we wouldnt run into any opposiion. And its kind of sad because those missions were very good in teaching new players the basics and shortening the relatively wide learning curve this game can have on people who have never flown flight sims.

I think that shows a lot in game as well. Doesn't seem like many have a clue on how to capture a base even though they are for teh war and always seem to have something to say to furballers here on the BBs. They fly in take out all the FH's and BH's and not touch the VH or de-ack the field and wonder why they're getting shot up by the 20 or so Flaks. Then you have the tools that claim to be all about captures flying a Temp or a spit whining on range asking why the town isnt down.  :huh

I honestly do not see the same variety you guys see with these big maps. If anything i feel the game has lost a lot of the variety it once had. If you chose to go off on your own and not run into opposition on a small map you could do that. You could bomb hq or a strat and maybe stir up 1 or 2 cons or noe a rear base. Which is something i use to do a lot when the towns were small and the bases werent so far apart.. Who didnt run solo lancs noe to a town then come back with a goon and take the base? there were big fights, there were small fights, gv wars. You could pretty much count on some opposition when running missions.

I use to join those bops and giap raids all the time but once the big maps were implemented the opposition was gone. I stopped caring much for the war and was labeled a furballer.
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 04:31:29 PM »
Titanic tuesday is really the only time a big map gets completely filled out with action.  Any other time it's like an 8 yr old walking around in size 14s with his heals popping out with every step.   :cool:

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 04:46:04 PM »
I think that shows a lot in game as well. Doesn't seem like many have a clue on how to capture a base even though they are for teh war and always seem to have something to say to furballers here on the BBs. They fly in take out all the FH's and BH's and not touch the VH or de-ack the field and wonder why they're getting shot up by the 20 or so Flaks. Then you have the tools that claim to be all about captures flying a Temp or a spit whining on range asking why the town isnt down.  :huh

I actually have no problem with WtW guys taking down hangars, as along as, the town is down or close to down.  If you're trying to take the base, fine, but have a plan to take it and execute it.  Don't just randomly take down FHs with the town full up, nothing is lamer or more useless.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 05:21:28 AM »
Titanic tuesday is really the only time a big map gets completely filled out with action.  Any other time it's like an 8 yr old walking around in size 14s with his heals popping out with every step.   :cool:

+1.

You've impressed me with such a wonderful analogy.

I miss the old single LW main arena, it just hasn't been the same after it was split in two some years ago.

Tuesday is such a wonderful day, if I'm able to stay up late, it's a real dream to fly with such many people online at once.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:26:25 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 08:13:18 AM »
I actually have no problem with WtW guys taking down hangars, as along as, the town is down or close to down.  If you're trying to take the base, fine, but have a plan to take it and execute it.  Don't just randomly take down FHs with the town full up, nothing is lamer or more useless.
+1 Ive been saying this for awhile now!!!

ndisles has always been my favorite map, second to ozkansas but the problem is ndisles is small and gets reset to fast unlike ozkansas which is alot harder to reset. OzKansas is huge but you can always find some type of fight.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 08:58:50 AM »
I DEMAND SMALL MAPS

I DEMAND LARGE MAPS

I DEMAND NEW MAPS

I DEMAND YOU BRING BACK THE OLD MAPS

I DEMAND WE RECYCLE LLOGAN  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 10:00:10 AM »
I actually kind of like the idea of different map lists for LWB and LWO, but I think somewhere it was mentioned that HTC thinks it would "split the community up". (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

As far as the localized "plane limit", how would you limit that? Just not allow planes to fly into that sector? I don't like that at all.
However, as a refinement to the idea, how about instead of a "plane limit" do a somewhat localized ENY? For instance, setting it so any more than... 12 planes per side in a 4 square radius affects a "localized" ENY modifier (due to attrition perhaps?). Doesn't stop you from bringing a Tempest to the party, but it makes you have to bring it from a sector away. Also think this should NOT affect CVs or GVs.
Again, don't know how I feel about it overall, but I suspect this would bring a HUGE number of complaints when you take off with your squad in 51Ds, get shot down, and then can't reunite with your squad in a D.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
I've been taking Vitamin D thinking it's recycling some of my older map cells........................  Nothing yet though.   :lol

I DEMAND WE RECYCLE LLOGAN  :D
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.