Author Topic: Change sights for the 5" CV puffy  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Change sights for the 5" CV puffy
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »
In real life, AA couldn't keep planes away from ships, but in the game, going within icon range is going to get you killed.

I wish we could have realist sights for the 5" guns. Maybe modle the inside of the gun sponson or turret, and have a vision slit, instead of the red crosshairs with uber zooming capabilities we have now.

Just something to think about.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Change sights for the 5" CV puffy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »
One thing about AAA historically is that it was shooting at dozens of aircraft. Simple weight of numbers guaranteed that SOMETHING would get through. In the game you're often looking at small numbers of aircraft, often only a handful at a time.

That being said, AAA on the boats IS a bit insane.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »
its alot more accurate but there is alot less of it..

imagine if there was a battleship in the CV group  :O

that said, 1 guy with a little skill in the manned 5"  can be hell on wheels.

I just wish it had killshooter on it, this nonesne where your fighting a con and some goob in the CV starts firing puff into your dogfight and either kills you (if he is enemy) or steals your kill (if he is friendly)  is annoying.  turn on killshooter for guns and make is so if you pop a friendly with puff it boots ya back to the tower.

that would aslos alleviate the ever preasent $&%#@ who decides to use you as flak target practice as you try to land on the CV with half a wing and no engine  :mad:

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »
Saxman, 2 days ago, there was a CV up off one of our bases, and it took something like an 45 minutes to kill the CV, even with a full dar bar in the CV's sector, and the sector our base was in. AND the crusier was down, so minus 2 5" twins, and some 40mm ack.

Its a little gamey having uber ack that can zoom in on you to the point where a hit is guarenteed at 7k. All I'm asking for is to have the inside of the gun sponsons and turrets modled, and make the ack gunners actually do some work for those hundreds of kills. Have it so they have to use the vision slit (or whatever they used) to aim.

And for using the HE shells, maybe add a range finder, and have it function like the bomb sight calibration. The longer you calibrate, the more precise reading you will get (to within .5k). And to offset the increased ease of gunning, they have to type in the range they want to have the gun set to, and let them have a limited traverse and elevation, so they can give the target some lead.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:12:11 PM »
I wish we could have realist sights for the 5" guns. Maybe modle the inside of the gun sponson or turret, and have a vision slit, instead of the red crosshairs with uber zooming capabilities we have now.

Just something to think about.
I would agree with a more realistic sight on the 5 inch guns keeping with & staying in line with how they changed the manned acks to a sight that I intially hated but have grown to like it a lot. :aok

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:18:43 PM »
For the '45 task group we have, we should have the radar-ranged fire-control that would pwn any single aircraft that gets within 5 miles.

:t
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:43:33 PM »
I love sitting in 5 inchers blasting away guys who think they can fly a plane level 3.0k away from a cv!

Whenever I'm bunkered down in a 5 incher, I understand it's just a delay, eventually the CV will get down.  The CV isn't going to resupply, buildings aren't going to pop right before you get it down. If a CV is under heavy attack, it'll go down, it might take 5 minutes, or it might take 45.  Your chances of actually taking a field if you have full friendly and enemy dar bars is very low.  A few B-38s, a few hits from a short battery, or a kamikaze JU-88, and it's all over.

If the CV is under heavy attack, your best bet is to turn it away and get the heck out of there, but most people won't do that.  So, I get into a gun and laugh when I shoot the same guy down for the 5th time as he's trying the exact same attack again.   I do that until eventually the ship is down, then suddenly people think it's safe to fly within range of the CV and I get more kills as spitfires lazily coast 1k away from me. 
:rofl
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:05:33 PM »
I love sitting in 5 inchers blasting away guys who think they can fly a plane level 3.0k away from a cv!

Whenever I'm bunkered down in a 5 incher, I understand it's just a delay, eventually the CV will get down.  The CV isn't going to resupply, buildings aren't going to pop right before you get it down. If a CV is under heavy attack, it'll go down, it might take 5 minutes, or it might take 45.  Your chances of actually taking a field if you have full friendly and enemy dar bars is very low.  A few B-38s, a few hits from a short battery, or a kamikaze JU-88, and it's all over.

If the CV is under heavy attack, your best bet is to turn it away and get the heck out of there, but most people won't do that.  So, I get into a gun and laugh when I shoot the same guy down for the 5th time as he's trying the exact same attack again.   I do that until eventually the ship is down, then suddenly people think it's safe to fly within range of the CV and I get more kills as spitfires lazily coast 1k away from me. 
:rofl

I kill CV's regularly...until they figure me out.  :neener: :rofl  Once the Jigs-up and a good 5" is in the seat, I just go find another one.  :banana:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »
For the '45 task group we have, we should have the radar-ranged fire-control that would pwn any single aircraft that gets within 5 miles.

:t

Don't forget the proximity fuses on the shells.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »
In real life, AA couldn't keep planes away from ships, but in the game, going within icon range is going to get you killed.

In game, CV triple-A doesn't keep planes away either.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »
I sometimes think you guys play a different game.  With manned 5" it is virtually impossible to hit anything but idiots who come in low and straight into the ship.  Have you guys ever even tried to hit buffs at 10K or 15K with the 5"?  CVs in this game have zero probability of surviving a single set of bombers at anything above 10K.  And you want them to be easier to sink?  Sometimes I suspect the real point of such posts is "This is a flight sim and I should not be shot down by anything but another plane- get rid of ships, GVs, and manned ack."

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 03:30:50 PM »
I sometimes think you guys play a different game.  With manned 5" it is virtually impossible to hit anything but idiots who come in low and straight into the ship.  Have you guys ever even tried to hit buffs at 10K or 15K with the 5"?  CVs in this game have zero probability of surviving a single set of bombers at anything above 10K.  And you want them to be easier to sink?  Sometimes I suspect the real point of such posts is "This is a flight sim and I should not be shot down by anything but another plane- get rid of ships, GVs, and manned ack."

I kill em on a regular basis higher than that.. the probability is not zero.. in fact, for 1 set, i think the bombers have probability of surviving closer to 0% than the cv, especially if the radar is up and the 5" gunner knows you're coming.. the problems arise when you finish off one set of bombers, and theres another set (or 5 more sets) already on top of you -- or the cv has turned and taken away the shot
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
In game, CV triple-A doesn't keep planes away either.

ack-ack

Not indefinitely, but it can keep people away past what was realistic. We have hoards afraid to go close to a CV for fear of getting shot down. Really, just taking away the uber zoom would be enough for me, the rest is just eye candy.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:41:55 PM »
We have hoards afraid to go close to a CV for fear of getting shot down.

We have hoards afraid to get shot down period. That's why they're in a hoard.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 04:44:47 PM »
Why is everyone so down on hoards? Its the same thing as massing armor for an attack. Why attack with 2 tanks, when you can attack with 5, or 9, or 13? Same with aircraft, more numbers means a higher chance of the town going down before cap is lost.