Author Topic: Change sights for the 5" CV puffy  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Change sights for the 5" CV puffy
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
thats what we have already - radar ranged, proxy fused. the only figure i've seen for the effectiveness of such a system (ie. the best fire control system in use in WWII) was about one kill per 1,000 shells fired. Ive lost the link but it was from a USN document. I suspect our AH 5"ers are magnitudes more effective than this. the very best WWII systems could not own any aircraft within 5 miles ...

You are correct about the 1 kill per 1,000 rounds fired using the Mark 37 Gun Fire Control System.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »
had to get one right eventually :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 08:50:19 PM »
Not all players are base takers, and like you, they wish everyone thought like they do. Some simply like the 1:1 challenge between 2 or maybe 4 tanks slowly trying to outwit each other, see the enemy first, being sharp enough for the one-shot-kill, & not worrying about bomb****s. I can get some fun either way, but when the odds are 10:1 and it starts obviously going bad, no skill matters and no possibility of keeping the base, I'm not enjoying the game, & that's why we're here right?

Of course its not fun, nothing over 3:1 is fun IMO. So long as you have a figting chance, I'm still having fun. Once, my old squad and I (about 8-9 guys) held a base for an hour from something around 25 guys; I'm fine as long as its not a vulch fest, and when you DO get up 30 guys jump you.

I was talking about getting enough guys together so that a few guys in M4's firing from cover won't stop you dead in your tracks.

But we're off topic, point is that we fire much less than 1000 rounds per kill (most of us anyway  :devil), which means something is off here.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 07:12:24 AM »

But we're off topic, point is that we fire much less than 1000 rounds per kill (most of us anyway  :devil), which means something is off here.

nothing is off, in RL they didnt hang out 4k from a Taskforce to fight lifters. They came in hit the ships and left. And a Fleet
taskforce had many many more ships than we have.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 07:27:23 AM »
err yeah it is off. way off. I'd expect a chance of damage if I'm level 200mph, 5k, 4000yds from a large battery of AA guns, I dont expect to get nailed instantly while manouvering at 350mph, 20k, 6 miles out from the same battery ...

to say nothing about EW, MW and AvA/scenarios/snapshot from those years - the chances of getting hit by ack by those systems was negligible, unless you were straight and level for 10 miles+, part of a large formation of buffs and they knew you were coming.

anyone know how many fighters were downed by puffy ack in WWII while flying at med/high alts? I'm guessing hardly any.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »

anyone know how many fighters were downed by puffy ack in WWII while flying at med/high alts? I'm guessing hardly any.

More fighters were downed by AAA than by other fighters in WW2.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:34 PM »
sure, but specifically by fused/proximity effect (puffy) at med/high alt. I know lots of fighters were lost in ground attack roles to AA fire.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 08:58:40 PM »
In real life, AA couldn't keep planes away from ships, but in the game, going within icon range is going to get you killed.

I wish we could have realist sights for the 5" guns. Maybe modle the inside of the gun sponson or turret, and have a vision slit, instead of the red crosshairs with uber zooming capabilities we have now.

Just something to think about.

I agree.  I am constantly saying that WWII ack was very inaccurate.  Those aircraft that you see in WWII documentaries have been hit by I wanna say a combination of, and do not quote me on this, 20+ 5" guns and over 100 smaller calibre AA guns before they were either blown to pieces or lost vital parts (wing, PW, etc).  And I do hate when your spanking a bunch of dudes and like whats his name higher in the post said, CAPTAIN ACK ACK is sitting there killing everyone.  Preach on Nemisis! :rock
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 02:14:47 AM »
IDK why, but I thought we were talking about radar controlled, proximity fused 5" AAA, not German 88mm altitude fused AAA.

Big difference there, but you are right as far as you were talking about.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 11:08:49 AM »
you're the first person to mention 88s ... :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
you're the first person to mention 88s ... :headscratch:

LOL :lol
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
As far as I'm aware, the germans used FlaK 18 88mm guns or FlaK 38 105mm guns, not 5" guns. But mostly my point was that the germans and Japanese didn't have working proximity fuses.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
Auto puffy heap more deadly than manned. If I'm tooling at 15k at 300 mph and accidentally fly over cv....odds are about 50/50 that my mission will shortly end in a ball of flame and profanities. (Unless of course, I'm slow, large, bombers. Then I've naught to worry about)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
When you consider the average WW2 DESRON was 6 ships, usually Fletchers (5 barrels/ship) but sometimes Sumners (6 barrels/ship), and within that TG was a CV, usually at least 1-2 cruisers, and later in the war, a CLAA or even a BB, the amount of ack we get is not overly heavy.

Somebody do the math on an Iowa or SoDak class BB, and a late-war Atlanta class CLAA....that's some sick AA.
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 04:33:54 PM »
When you consider the average WW2 DESRON was 6 ships, usually Fletchers (5 barrels/ship) but sometimes Sumners (6 barrels/ship), and within that TG was a CV, usually at least 1-2 cruisers, and later in the war, a CLAA or even a BB, the amount of ack we get is not overly heavy.

Somebody do the math on an Iowa or SoDak class BB, and a late-war Atlanta class CLAA....that's some sick AA.

Iowa Class BB's:  
  • 20 - 5in/38 cal Mk12's (IIRC in 10 twin turrets and 4 Mk 37 fire control systems.)  
  • 80 - 40mm Bofors
  • 49 - 20mm Bofors

SD Class BB's:  
  • 20 - 5in/38 cal Mk12's in 10 twin turrets (the SD itself had 8 and for the subsequent ships they found room for 2 more on the SD as well, IIRC).
  • 68 - 40mm Bofors (IIRC after 1943 all 1.1in guns were moved going from a paltry 20, increased to 72 in 1944)
  • 72 - 20mm Bofors
  • 12 - 50 cals (removed for increased 20/40mm's)

Atlanta Class CL's:
  • 16 - 5in/38 cal Mk12's (8 twin-mounts IIRC)
  • 16 - 40mm Bofors (8 twin-mounts)
  • 8 - 20mm Bofors

FYI going on memory.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:41:37 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC