Author Topic: Stab/JG301 TA-152H 'Black 13'  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Stab/JG301 TA-152H 'Black 13'
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »
But couldn't you use them as a source of weathering as was being pointed out in the post?  Wear and tear due to use?

wrongway
repainted.
No

The H looks like it's having its guns calibrated for the first time as it leaves the factory and the C is still wearing Stammkennzeichnen. Neither of them are really worth anything for weathering puproses.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
It is not a gun calibration tool It's a compass. It swings it around with zero distance.

The only stuff repainted on the captured models is the national markings covering up the crosses, and the hand-painted reference numbers on the tail.

I do think the cross/swastika on the second pic are photoshopped in for some reason. Those would have been painted over (like the first picture).

As for weathering... Even if you left it out in the snow and rain for 2 months straight it wouldn't look heavily weathered... It would look dusty, like how rain/snow leaves dust behind when it's gone, but an active in-flight unit would keep the planes in hangars or covered, and rinse most of that of with general maintanence. Look at the highly polished underside of the wing in the second captured pic. That's end-of-war, been through the worst, and they still kept it clean enough to catch the light.

I think they're good examples. Not definite, but give a good idea, and are appropriate to the time frame in question.

EDIT: Conversely, let's see some of these examples where "every photo I've seen is beat to hell" -- I've only seen a couple sitting around 50 years after the fact that look totally wasted.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
krusty's second pic is at the Garber facility and shows the original mottle

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:29:00 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 08:59:46 PM »

As for weathering... Even if you left it out in the snow and rain for 2 months straight it wouldn't look heavily weathered... It would look dusty, like how rain/snow leaves dust behind when it's gone, but an active in-flight unit would keep the planes in hangars or covered, and rinse most of that of with general maintanence. Look at the highly polished underside of the wing in the second captured pic. That's end-of-war, been through the worst, and they still kept it clean enough to catch the light.

I think they're good examples. Not definite, but give a good idea, and are appropriate to the time frame in question.

What about boot prints?

SORRY?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »
Megalodon, I wouldn't say it shows the original mottling very well. The colors have changed on that pretty badly. It's been neglected and sitting in lots and in warehouses since the end of the war. Only recently have they started doing any work on it. The color and quality of the paint isn't exactly "right" -- especially on the tail and fuselage where they stripped down some of it to previous layers to see what was under it and make repairs.

I would say that's the worst photo to use because that's nothing at all how it looked while actively flying in the LW.

Just my 2c.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »
Megalodon, I wouldn't say it shows the original mottling very well. The colors have changed on that pretty badly. It's been neglected and sitting in lots and in warehouses since the end of the war. Only recently have they started doing any work on it. The color and quality of the paint isn't exactly "right" -- especially on the tail and fuselage where they stripped down some of it to previous layers to see what was under it and make repairs.

I would say that's the worst photo to use because that's nothing at all how it looked while actively flying in the LW.

Just my 2c.
the tail cross and number have been touched not the front of the plane.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 08:50:10 PM »
You forget that the paint was applied well over 50 years ago, it rotted in the sun unkept while folks tested it after the war, then was stored in a field somewhere, then was shipped off to a museum storage room and dumped for the better number of decades.

Paint holds up a lot better over 2 months than it does over 60 years.

EDIT: Look at Olive Drab. Marked differences between fresh paint and "old" paint and "baked" paint... the color shifts wildly depending on how old it is.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 04:13:54 AM »
Great job on this and your other 152 and 262 skins Mus51, very nicely aged.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 06:42:53 AM »
 :aok nice looking  bird :aok
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi