Author Topic: Information on new damage model  (Read 1257 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Information on new damage model
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
They will introduce the "hit bubble" concept (slightly bigger than our planes), and all damage to individual components will be removed and substituted with a single "plane health" value.
When the health bar in upper right corner turns from green to red, it's time to head home...

:noid

Unless we get a green power up, right?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »
As i understand it, if you hold down your trigger you build up a power blast that can kill a airship in one shot, but if you hold it too long you get a nose bleed, if you hold it still eventually your plane explodes.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
+1

:x

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 09:18:08 PM »
A WWI biplanes wood structure besides using glue and fasteners is tensioned internaly with steel cable. When your bullet clips one of those internal cables or its anchor point, the next stressing of that area without the cabel tension can snap the wood under structure. Or the reverse a bullet shatters some of the understructure and allows the cable tension to sag. I will conjecture that the german designers went to plywood semimonocu and welded metal tubing for this reason. The British contiued using wood formers with complicated metal fasteners at the joints which were then tensioned by metal cables.

Consider wing construction. Built up wood and spar with inernal tension cables. Then you have all of the pully and pivot hardware for the alerons that when shot up will result with a mess trying to fly the aircraft. Most engine mounts for inline engines until the DVII were wood. Rotary engine mounts until the DrI were metal to a wood firewall with sheet metal covering. Then lets make this messy even more with fuel tank placements in front or under the pilot and worse radiator placements. Many radiator for inline engines were mounted in the upper wing just in front or slightly to the side of the pilot. They were not armored. Hit the radiator and the pilot gets hot fluid in the face. Fortunatly our first round of kites don't have this problem.

WWII all metal construction took advantage of the aluminum skin as part of the aircrafts structural integrity. Beer cans with internal riveted bulkheads with steel armor plateing. WWI aircraft the cloth skin was not so much for that type of integrity as it was neccessary to the ability for the wings to generate lift. So when one of those WWI wood, wire and cloth structures is shot up, you need a much expanded damage modle to account for the hundreds of internal structures harmonized together and how they can fail.

This web site is for the Vintage Aviator in New Zeland. They build WWI aricraft from original blue prints constructing all of the parts and fittings along with some of the engines themselves. Look through the detailed construction project archives to understand why HiTech had to expand the damage model for the WWI aircraft. There are hundreds of intigrated systems that a few random .30 cal can tear to peices.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/node
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 06:00:12 AM »
Well AckAck it is several months now since I heard HT talking about this at the con.

With that caveat

As I remember a lot of it was stuff like.
AH current has 2 states, intact, and failed, nothing inbetween. With the new damage model they'd be able to have several states. Intact, 25% damaged, 50% damaged, 75% damaged, and failed. Now apply that to something like a wingtip that has been shot at.

So you could have reduced airflow because of the holes. You could have structural members that are still there, but ready to snap at any increased pressure. So the next time you force it into a 5g turn it goes snap.

I think they were also  increasing the # of damage points in a plane. And thats just one possible example.

You won't necessarily "know" how much more your plane can take if you've been shot up.
Where now you pretty much do. As long as you have control surfaces, engine thrust, and lift, you can continue to fly and fight.

Same plane in same situation under the new model had best be trying to get out, and get home.
As something may fail at any point that will screw the pooch.

But we'll have a better idea once he gets the bugs out and we can play with the WWI birds.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
  I'm hoping I can tear off that pesky second wing coming out of the Hanger and make my plane as fast as the super Fokker!  :airplane:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 09:08:24 AM »
AH current has 2 states, intact, and failed, nothing inbetween. With the new damage model they'd be able to have several states. Intact, 25% damaged, 50% damaged, 75% damaged, and failed. Now apply that to something like a wingtip that has been shot at.

So you could have reduced airflow because of the holes. You could have structural members that are still there, but ready to snap at any increased pressure. So the next time you force it into a 5g turn it goes snap.

Now THAT's excactly what I wanted to hear. The thing that bugged me most about AHs damage model was its binary nature - on or off. Either you were running a perfectly fine, factory fresh system (engine, elevator, whatnot) or it was totally broken. I don't know if IL2s damage modeling was anywhere closer to real thing but the slowly decreasing power output of a damaged engine made nursing home a shot up plane a real challenge - or the missing lift and increased drag of a holed wing as an other example. Don't understand me wrong I do not want the same kind of damage modeling but a fine differentation of damage state sounds like a true revelation to me. I hope the WW2 birds will also profit from that initially. Maybe this will make small caliber fire more worthwhile. As in not destroying a system but mke it less efficient.!  :x
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
The new damage model will include pieces flying off of your plane
when certain critical parts sustain damage.

If your melon is hit..................then your melon flies off as well.

:neener: :neener:
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
Well AckAck it is several months now since I heard HT talking about this at the con.

With that caveat

As I remember a lot of it was stuff like.

I think they were also  increasing the # of damage points in a plane. And thats just one possible example.

You won't necessarily "know" how much more your plane can take if you've been shot up.
Where now you pretty much do. As long as you have control surfaces, engine thrust, and lift, you can continue to fly and fight.

Same plane in same situation under the new model had best be trying to get out, and get home.
As something may fail at any point that will screw the pooch.

But we'll have a better idea once he gets the bugs out and we can play with the WWI birds.

If that in a nutshell is how the new damage model works then I am going to be a very happy person when it goes live.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »
If that in a nutshell is how the new damage model works then I am going to be a very happy person when it goes live.

ack-ack

Definitly a +1  :x

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »

ack-ack
+2

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »
+9001
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »
Are you suggesting there will be even better ways for me to wreck my 38G?  I've worked so hard to get to the point I could wreck it right to the edge and beyond.  The thought of more options....my heart.....arghhhhhhhhhh :old:
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 10:03:05 PM »
Are you suggesting there will be even better ways for me to wreck my 38G?  I've worked so hard to get to the point I could wreck it right to the edge and beyond.  The thought of more options....my heart.....arghhhhhhhhhh :old:

:lol
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 10:42:30 PM »
This is my small pond, go fishing somewhere else!  :neener:

But seriously, I'm interested in knowing how the new damage model is going to work. 

ack-ack

bullet hits plane plane breaks.

if it's my plane, it also gets pilot wound.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)