Author Topic: Interesting article on WWI fighter performance  (Read 1010 times)

Offline maxy

• Copper Member
Re: Interesting article on WWI fighter performance
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 05:54:41 PM »
it will be interesting to see how many people will rip the wings off these rag covered crates "cant wait"

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 05:57:42 PM »
I'll be interested to see how torque is modelled in planes like the camel with regards to control inputs.

As am I.

Admittedly, my interest in the WWI arena is only mild; but I am hoping that the planes are extraordinarily difficult to fly at 100% effectiveness.  A super-steep learning curve would be a fine element, IMO.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
The theoretical speeds for the fastest and tightest turns for these aircraft fall BELOW the stall speeds.  Therefore, the maximum turn rate and tightest turn is calculated at the stall speed in a turn.

This simply cannot be correct.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 09:48:10 PM »
This simply cannot be correct.

That was my reaction.  Still can't wrap my head around what that means.  I'd love to see some other data/sources.

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »
Right...highest rate of turn occurs at the minimum speed that the airplane can pull max allowable Gs, so I haven't the foggiest what this is referring to.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
That was my reaction.  Still can't wrap my head around what that means.  I'd love to see some other data/sources.

Regards,
Wab

I believe you can think of it as an explanation of why you can turn faster and tighter in a relaxed realism arena where you don't stall.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 03:25:49 AM »
"The DVII was specifically called out in the Treaty of Versailles to be specifically destroyed (first time for any aircraft)."

They obviously figured out a way to go around this clause...  ;)

From Wiki:

The United States evaluated 142 captured examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_D.VII

Thats a mighty evaluation program.  :D

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 05:58:55 PM »
Is it strange that I was more interested in the formulas in that pdf than I was any actual information about these planes?  :uhoh
Army of Muppets