Author Topic: Time to perk ord....  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
Re: Time to perk ord....
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
I hate Carrier fights for this very reason.

I have the option of upping a extremely good fighter with enough ord (more ORD than CV dive bombers) to kill a hangar and then joining the fight. ALL of the dive bombers are hangar queens and serve absolutely no purpose.

That's because most of us are flying late war. Dive bombers were more or less obsolete by late 1945, except possibly for scouting. Note their rapid disappearance after the war. And the ones we have available were obsolete by 1942, although they did soldier on regardless. Add a D4Y to the plane set and you might see more dive bombers (besides the IL-2) in use.

Another reason is that the bombsites for level bombers are WAY too accurate and easy to use. Why send a squadron of SBDs to sink a CV when a single formation of Lancs or B-24s can do the job much better? IRL, of course, the answer was because the heavies couldn't do it.

Perk all bombs over 250lbs on fighters. Still leave them very viable against ord, fuel, and GVs, and gives the destructive power to the real bombers.

I think that would be great, but you'd have to perk 4-engine bombers as well, or find some way to make level bombing less accurate, particularly against ships, or you'll just see heavies and not dive bombers in place of the jabos.

Honestly, I think the Lanc, at least, should be perked.

One question is how you'd earn ordnance perks. You don't want to force fighter jocks to fly bombers just to get perks to put bombs on their fighters.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 07:21:55 PM »
I dont think I agree with perking ord in general. I dont believe I understand what you are meaning. Could you provide some more detail on your thoughts?

I could see if you were going to allow a player to customize their particular ord load out for a sortie charging perks. However the load out would have to be within the realm of possibility for that airframe. This game would quickly turn into a joke if B-25's could carry the Lanc load out for example.

I do agree that there does not seem to be a real use for Bomber Perks collected in this game. I have posted in the past about allowing a trade off of perks from one category to use in another. However that does pose some challenges. On the one hand what would be an equitable trade rate for say.... Bomber Perks being spent on Fighter Perk cost just for one example. And on the other hand what kind of use reaction could this cause in game? For example, I suck so bad in fighters that there is a Gravity Well around me when in a Fighter, but I do pretty well in Buffs. So would this cause a huge run on Buff runs to gather Buff perkies that could be spent on Fighter perks costs? Just thinking outloud here.

Interesting topic, I would like to see it go somewhere with HTC.

Later,
KayBay
Well for example some B25's during the war used rockets at present we don't have that option. If we had more ord options we could select certain packages for certain needs at a perk price. This is just one example there would be hundreds more depending on airframe type & so on.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:22 PM »
One question is how you'd earn ordnance perks. You don't want to force fighter jocks to fly bombers just to get perks to put bombs on their fighters.

Simple (I think)...What you do is is get a bomber with 500lbs load-outs or less in a sortie and accumulate points that way, then earn enough to carry larger load-outs.  If you want to fly attack with 1,000lbs, that will cost you (nominally 1 perk for heavy load).  250lbs or 500lbs would not cost anything.

My philosophy is, larger loadouts create more damage in less time - therefore a higher value is needed.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 12:00:54 AM »
I think the answer to unused bomber perks is either more perked bombers, or change the name 'bomber perks' to weapon perks and use it for rare up-gunned versions of airframes we already have (Ki-84Ib comes to mind).

The reason for this is I don't think we should discourage use of bombers. I hardly see enough of them in the sky as it is now, can you imagine how many 190A8 pork 'n bail runs we'd see in lieu of buffs if bombers had to use perks every time?

Basically, the run90 A 8 pork run on any field bigger than a small field is a 1 way trip most of the time so who cares if they bail... they do it now anyway. why not perk the buffs a bit or there ord, might make the dive bombing lanc dweeb think twice about crapping on a boat or nukein a spawn just ta be a tard.

i duno .... who cares.

now that i think of it.... it ain't my 15 bucks.. all that stuff makes people happy then oki doki
frogs are people too

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 12:49:06 AM »
Perk the Nooks! :neener:

Oh yeah, we don't have those yet.   :huh   Well, when we get them they should be perked at 1 or 2 points.  :x

:D
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline KayBayRay

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
I agree with what Lyric1 is saying. That is what I was talking about by Custom Loads. Currently we have standard loads in the game. Replacing rockets with bombs or bombs with rockets or adjusting the numbers of each type in a load for Bombers or Fighters is IMO Customizing the Ord Load. That IMHO would be worth paying perk points for.

I dont agree with perking what we currently have. This to me is counterporductive. For example if a Pony D could carry as a standard Ground Attack Ord Package 2-1000lb bombs and X Rockets then I dont see any reason to pay  perks for that combo other than to just burn perks up. IMO using perks is meant for something above the ordinary.

These are just my thoughts on the subject. Dont really mean anything.

Later,
KayBay
See ya in the Sky !!

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »

These are just my thoughts on the subject. Dont really mean anything.

Later,
KayBay

Your opinion counts here bud and does mean something.  :salute

So is everybody elses....

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 12:37:02 PM »
+1 perked ords  :aok
-AoM-

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »

Your opinion counts here bud and does mean something.  :salute

So is everybody elses....

:uhoh smoking again ehh  :eek:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »
:uhoh smoking again ehh  :eek:

You trying to kill my wonderful -outreaching moment?  :t  :O

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »
i would hate perked ords but just IMO
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline Gwjr2

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »
I say put the wind back in and take out smart bombs....in the fall of 1944, only seven per cent of all bombs dropped by the Eighth Air Force hit within 1,000 feet of their aim point.
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
 :aok

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 06:22:05 PM »
I say put the wind back in and take out smart bombs....in the fall of 1944, only seven per cent of all bombs dropped by the Eighth Air Force hit within 1,000 feet of their aim point.

That being said, there still is low-level bombing that would not fall under what you mentioned above.  Simply put, 1,000lbs + bombs are a game changer with less effort and should have move value than 250lbs bombs, therefore cost.

Or, Perk the 17's, 24's, lancs and 234's because of what they can do versus other lesser bombers. 

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »

That being said, there still is low-level bombing that would not fall under what you mentioned above.  Simply put, 1,000lbs + bombs are a game changer with less effort and should have move value than 250lbs bombs, therefore cost.

Or, Perk the 17's, 24's, lancs and 234's because of what they can do versus other lesser bombers. 

yep  :aok

<S> bro

froger
frogs are people too