Author Topic: mic problems  (Read 684 times)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
mic problems
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »
I have a squaddie that is having mic problems. He sounds good occasionally, but most of the time it is either nothing or real low and distorted. I am thinking it might be a bad mic. Any suggestions on checking that? I have told him to tune to self and see how he hears himself. One question on that, this works only for channel and not for room, correct?

Any suggestions?

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
Re: mic problems
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »
I am having problems along the same line, if he has windows 7, and is using onbaord sound the fix is very elusive, most of the support sites for windows,AH and the manufaturer of the pc suggest to update the drivers, raise the boost on the microphone (you can find out how to do this in the tech forum by typing into the search bar) and several other "solves" that never worked for me.........I'll be watching for any help I can get from your post and will continue my search also. Good Luck    :headscratch:

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:01:34 PM »
This seems to be one of the biggest problems newbies have, I myself had problems when I started, in part due to vista and the instructions were not updated for vista on the help files. Wonder how many people quit the game due to it.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 01:34:04 PM »
If you tune to yourself it is channel...however what you hear should be what others do....Has he checked his mic in windows it self? the other thing to do is check in game setting...I think..options...preference.. .voice and check the settings there..they may need to play around with it ...different mics need different settings.
you could check this out also   http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/radio/radio.htm  this should take you to voice settings...

the other thing is they need to check where to position the mic to mouth...some that I have had I have had to have it touching my lips for any type of recognizable chat..(cheap headset/usb also) try to stay away from these...they may be good for some But I have had nothing but trouble from USB headsets

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:36:45 PM by SPKmes »

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »
ok we were trying it again a few minutes ago. At first he was perfect, maybe three transmissions. Then it started messing up, real low and broke up and then nothing. Sounds like a bad mic to me.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
This will sound strange but I've struggled with VOX quality for many years. Finally, fairly recently, while I was messing around with my mic and the voice hardware test utility in Control Panel I accidently touched my mic to my monitor. The "snap" I heard (static electricity maybe?) made my mic sound perfectly clear.

Told you it would sound wierd but it worked for me. I have to do this "anti static" routine about once a month to keep things sounding good.

Give it a try. It may work for you too.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline LesterBoffo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 03:46:57 PM »
This will sound strange but I've struggled with VOX quality for many years. Finally, fairly recently, while I was messing around with my mic and the voice hardware test utility in Control Panel I accidently touched my mic to my monitor. The "snap" I heard (static electricity maybe?) made my mic sound perfectly clear.

Told you it would sound wierd but it worked for me. I have to do this "anti static" routine about once a month to keep things sounding good.

Give it a try. It may work for you too.

Grounding the static from your monitor into your 'puter using anything is not a real good idea.  Take this with a grain of salt from my A-1 techy wife, But, I'd be prepared to pay for the static charge damage your suggestion caused someone who attempted this.  There are reasons why there are wrist grounding straps used when working on a computer..

just sayin'...

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
I think mic position has a major impact on the sound qality.  Testing first in Windows.  Next testing in AH by setting your game id in radio V.  The last thing to check is the voice setting within the game.  Of all those, the position of the mic I think is the bigest factor.  Is the mic part of a headset or a stand alone mic?  Hope this helps.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:05:54 PM »
Grounding the static from your monitor into your 'puter using anything is not a real good idea.  Take this with a grain of salt from my A-1 techy wife, But, I'd be prepared to pay for the static charge damage your suggestion caused someone who attempted this.  There are reasons why there are wrist grounding straps used when working on a computer..

just sayin'...

It's the same as grounding yourself to the case before you touch anything inside the case. The monitor is grounded. The computer is grounded. All I'm doing is giving the static a place to go. Right where it all goes each time you touch your case or monitor. It would be different if I said to touch the mic to the CPU, or the RAM chips or the motherboard but I didn't, of course.

Just sayin'....
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:46:37 PM »
I've found that 'noise canceling' mic manages to cancel your voice quite well
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:59:03 PM »
Another thing you have to remember is if your using on-board sound and your computer is not a "better than average" computer, and your running a high demand game like Aces the CPU will start short changing your sound to free up time for CPU cycles. It sounds to me like he might be running out of resources.

Load up the windows sound recorder, tune a radio on and set in near the mic and record a few minutes of music from the radio. Play it back and see it the quality stays about the same from start to finish. If it plays back fine through the whole thing then you could say the mic is ok.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
Fugitive is right on the money.

Also, all other things being equal, onboard sound will not be as good as a decent sound card.
USB headset is if anything even worse. Both will use CPU cycles to do the job that a sound card will do with hardware.
Robbing you of CPU processing power just when you need it most.

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 09:25:49 PM »
So the headsets with the 2 plugs is better than a USB headset?
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
So the headsets with the 2 plugs is better than a USB headset?

Yes  on an Aces High Game performance stand point......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »
I used to have problems too...  Installed an actual sound card (an old one) instead of relying on onboard sound.  Problem solved for me.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder