Author Topic: "Glass" gauges  (Read 3849 times)

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
"Glass" gauges
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »
the ability to display gauges on a 2nd monitor or in my case the 4th monitor
 I did a search but didn't find a Similar topic sorry if this is a re post
 (I cant believe I'm the 1st to ask but like I said didn't see it in my search sorry again maybe used the wrong keywords)
I can build em better than I can fly em
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/hotwire_2009/?

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: "Glass" gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
I've never been a big fan of the search ability on these forums, not HTCs fault, just the forum provider.  Anyway, I think similar requests have been made for having second monitor or those Saitek gauges.

Here's a simple answer from an old post:
The game does not allow the option to run in 'Windowed' mode.

btw, I searched "duel monitors" and found that.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »
It would give you an unfair advantage.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
It would give you an unfair advantage.

How would this be so? I see it as a fair advantage. He still has to look down and take his attention away from his other monitors to look at the gauges, just like real pilots have to.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
Not everyone can afford multiple monitors.  I assume that with a monitor specifically for gauges, the next request will be to get rid of the instrument panel silhouette, since it no longer serves a purpose...  This would offer an unfair advantage just as multiple monitors would.  Part of the fun of the game is the obstructed view.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
Not everyone can afford multiple monitors.  I assume that with a monitor specifically for gauges, the next request will be to get rid of the instrument panel silhouette, since it no longer serves a purpose...  This would offer an unfair advantage just as multiple monitors would.  Part of the fun of the game is the obstructed view.

Well I understand what you're saying, but using that logic why is the game TrackIR enabled?  Wouldn't that give someone who can afford it an advantage? Or those with rudder pedals? or the Triple maxtrix head whatchamacallit?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:30:49 PM »
I just move my view to where I can see the gauges and save the position, then I just use my zoom when I am engaged. However this doesn't work in all planes b/c of where the gauges are. Also wanted to say nice setup maybe one day I will be able to get me one like that <S>.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:59:56 PM »
Well I understand what you're saying, but using that logic why is the game TrackIR enabled?  Wouldn't that give someone who can afford it an advantage? Or those with rudder pedals? or the Triple maxtrix head whatchamacallit?

No.   You're not getting what sluggish is saying.   He doesn't care about the Triple monitors.   He's saying "having a monitor dedicated to gauges gives an unfair advantage" and yes it does. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 05:20:16 AM »

Indeed, and those that can avoid joysticks? What next we ban the optical mouse? I believe in more technology, more gadgets, and thus more immersion. Not having a feature because part of the base can't afford it is wrong headed progressive think. It won't be followed in any kind of serious business model.

Infidelz

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »
Actually the one thing that doesn't give the advantage is the gauges on a 2nd monitor. If that is an option you can move the gauges to the corner or where ever as well on your single screen. However on the other hand Th2go gives me a 3840X1024 FoV, the track IR... self explanatory, rudders sure help.

All of these things are great but I'm still average at best  :headscratch: when all is said and done knowledge and Skill win! :airplane: :joystick: I bet I have been shot down by a guy with a 15" CRT monitor
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:14:43 AM by sheperd »
I can build em better than I can fly em
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/hotwire_2009/?

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:31:05 AM »
This would be perfect for it too...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/c609/

Offline Frod

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »
Sheperd,
  Niiiiice setup!   :O

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
Actually the one thing that doesn't give the advantage is the gauges on a 2nd monitor. If that is an option you can move the gauges to the corner or where ever as well on your single screen. However on the other hand Th2go gives me a 3840X1024 FoV, the track IR... self explanatory, rudders sure help.

All of these things are great but I'm still average at best  :headscratch: when all is said and done knowledge and Skill win! :airplane: :joystick: I bet I have been shot down by a guy with a 15" CRT monitor

The hell it doesn't.   While you glance down at your 4th monitor, someone else is having to hit a key or button. 

Again.   No.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 03:19:51 PM »
I don't have to press a key or button to look at my gauges. I just tilt my head down slightly.

Hmm... A key or button might be quicker.
Wedge

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »
 :lol

Some of you guys are just nuts....

Saying this would be an advantage, which I am very much against thought, as an arguement not to have it is just absurd. If you use that same argument against other gadgets like rudder pedals, Track Ir, multiple throttles etc we wouldn't have any of them! While your at it lets make everyone use 16" CRT with an ancient video card on basic settings. Your 60 FPS is giving you an advantage over him!

Keep at it people, meanwhile I would love this idea and would build a simpit if it was implemented!

Strip