Author Topic: F4U question or two  (Read 3270 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4U question or two
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 10:44:04 AM »
Why not fire off all your ammo and time it then compare?
:rolleyes: is that what you'd do?  :lol
Lighten up Francis

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »

actually, that is what anyone would do to get the "ingame data" for a palne's specific ammo load out, rounds fired per second, rounds/seconds of all guns firing (100%), then remaining rounds/seconds of reduced guns firing once the gun banks with the lesser ammo load runs out.....

( did not want to go in to detail , typed this out quickly...dog needs to go out & water the tree )

hope this helps.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 04:01:53 PM »

Well it would have answered your question immediately. And yes, that's what I do.  :old:

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:26 AM »
I don't know the rate of fire in the game but others have said the model is very close.
The real F4U-1  -1a -1d -4 were equipped with the AN/M2 Browning .50 cal and it had a cyclic rate of fire of 750-850
rounds per minute.

The way to determine the rate of fire in the game, which I haven't done, is to get up in your plane and take note of your ammo. Hold the trigger for 1 minute then subtract what you have left from what you started with. This will give you the cyclic rate of fire for in the game.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »
Also on the landing subject, I would take the plane out fully loaded and do some slow flight.  It will help you get used to flying it slow which helps when you are on final.  I use full flaps and use throttle to keep the airspeed around 120-100.  Something to practice is to "Wheel land" the plane and then hold the tail up, keep the tail up the length of runway trying to keep it straight down the runway.  I used this when I was practicing landings in a Sonya.  Also another trick is once you are on the ground, suck the flaps up, it spoils the lift and plants the aircraft on the ground more solid.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »
What I did to learn landing and taking off in an F4U was to take an F4U-1D with (2) 1,000 pound bombs, (8) rockets, and 100% fuel and launch and land from a CV over and over and over without dropping the Ordnance. I did not do any of the "backing up" stuff to launch and I flew off the bow of the carrier and made a left hand turn into a landing pattern, and landed at the stern. Of course I crashed quite often at first; this is to be expected as you learn some F4U characteristics.

From this exercise I learned:

1)  How to use my flaps on take off and landing
 2)  How to control my throttle without torque rolling or ground looping
 3)  How to use my rudder so I don't wildly swing from side to side and end up ground looping
 4)  How to listen to my stall horn and know when to apply power and add or retract flaps, and or apply rudder
 5)  How to take off a fully loaded F4U from a CV without "backing up"
 6)  How to land a fully loaded F4U on a CV (this can simulate landing with some battle damage)
 7)  How to fly a fully loaded F4U in stall conditions and land upon a moving target
 8)  How to fly with my head out of the cockpit and not depend upon gauges
 9)  A great deal of patience I didn't have before
10) A lasting respect for the pilots who flew F4U's into harm's way in real life.

...just some thoughts.

<S>

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »
I hope HTC adds the 2000lb centerline bomb now that they're going to be expanding the ordinance capabilities. Maybe I'll actually get a challenge out of rolling a fully-loaded Hog off the boat....

:D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »
I hope HTC adds the 2000lb centerline bomb now that they're going to be expanding the ordinance capabilities. Maybe I'll actually get a challenge out of rolling a fully-loaded Hog off the boat....

:D

that would be a hoot, now wouldn't it......

Heya Patches, great assessment of how you went about learning to take off and land the F4U-1D on the CV in AcesHigh and what you gained "knowledge wise" from doing it..
excellent post, Sir......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC