Author Topic: A Heart Scare and Aces High  (Read 1655 times)

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
Re: A Heart Scare and Aces High
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 02:06:09 AM »
Glad to hear that you are ok!  +1 to exercise and eating right (which I do barely any of  :uhoh)

-AoM-

Offline Schlitz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 08:33:28 AM »
Had the same heart attack last march, Stoli.  Thank your lucky stars you survived.  It's a killer!  I suggest the American Heart Association Cookbook.  It's chocked full of good recipes that are easy on the ticker.  I also recommend water aerobics (I do mine at the YMCA) and walking.  Get well soon and Good luck. 
STOP KILLING ME!!!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 08:43:20 AM »
Congrats on making a change for the better
 :aok

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 09:19:21 AM »
See you soon and get well.  :salute
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »
<S> Stoli

Glad that your on your way to a healthy lifestyle and that this was discovered in time,  take care.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline ttflier

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 08:31:45 AM »
Good Luck Stoli!  Life changes are usually a good thing.

ttflier
Tree Top Flier (ttflier)

http://www.91stbombgroup.net

"Bush league pilots just can't get the job done" lyrics by Stephen Stills

Offline gon4beer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2010, 09:36:16 AM »
Holy cow! Saw someone take out dar with a 262 and thought "what the!"I wish ya luck.Take care.S!!~  GON

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:10 AM »
   Glad you caught it. I need to change too. This game is only part of the problem. Anything that makes it so you sit still for hours, stressing at the same time is a bad thing for your health. We think we could just play for 1 hr a week, but we know we cant. Ive started my second childhood..actually the first one never ended, and I want to be around awhile to enjoy it. 

Hope the best for ya!

First Stoliman, glad you caught it and wish you noting but the best. Like you and Filth I have come to the conclusion that my lifestyle is/was atrocious. I've improved somewhat. Last night I did 60 minutes on the treadmill and came away not breathing hard. Which is amazing since I am morbidly obese. I don't like either of those words and am just thankful and amazed I'm not on any medications. I am down 40 lbs from my highest weight. Quit stocking fun foods. Found out you will eat that carrot stick when you get hungry enough and water is your friend.

Hopefully I will join the local hiking club this spring. I use to love hiking with my kids. Just incredible how sedentary we sometimes get.

Take care guys!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
I had a stent back in about 2000 or so (95% blocked artery).  Can you believe they interrupted my Christmas with the family because I had to have the stent NOW?

I still haven't changed my lifestyle.  I still smoke, drink, eat bad foods and don't exercise much.  I figure whatever's going to happen will happen and there's no need for me to stress over it.

I do have a very good cardiologist who sees me regularily, periodically adjusts my medications and continues to encourage me to change my lifestyle but it's been 10 years now, my cholesterol and triglycerides and such are under control (they were'nt when I got the stent) and I mostly feel great.

I'm glad to hear you listened to your wife and doctor.  You'll be fine.

BTW, were you "awake" for the proceedure like I was?  Very surreal.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Blackwulf

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2010, 05:21:11 PM »
Glad you are still around Stoliman.
In my case, they didn't catch it in time, and I came very very close to dying (they didn't know if I would even survive the surgery).  I am just now coming back after an emergency triple bypass.  Be sure to thank your doc, and be glad you had one who is on the ball, mine definitely wasn't.
I have changed my lifestyle quite a bit, but I am still having to work on a few things.  Old habits can be hard to break, even after something like this, but it sure is a motivator. :)

Offline SkyRat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »
StoliMan!!  SeSkyRat here, glad your OK.  Im also a rather large 46 year old Booze_hound.  I say, keep your name.  We all know you by it.  Some of us even LIKE you!!!..  Im trying to reduce my bad habits also.  cant wait for winter to end, so I can get out of the house more.  Ive got a couple of Harleys I enjoy alot.  A 1970 Electra-glide..and a 07  Springer Classic.  Live good my friend, and live long!!!..See you, in the war-torn skies!!
                                                                                                    SeSkyRat
                                                                                                  Screamin Eagles!!!

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »
StoliMan!!  SeSkyRat here, glad your OK.  Im also a rather large 46 year old Booze_hound.  I say, keep your name.  We all know you by it.  Some of us even LIKE you!!!..  Im trying to reduce my bad habits also.  cant wait for winter to end, so I can get out of the house more.  Ive got a couple of Harleys I enjoy alot.  A 1970 Electra-glide..and a 07  Springer Classic.  Live good my friend, and live long!!!..See you, in the war-torn skies!!
                                                                                                    SeSkyRat
                                                                                                  Screamin Eagles!!!

SEskyrat!!  :salute

Good to see you here in the BBS.  Miss you on squad night bro!  :salute 

See you soon.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 03:05:02 PM »
In your spare time read about Chelation Therapy, Dr. Ignaro's Miracle Molecule (Google Citrulline & Arginine), and of course eat right & listen to your Dr.. I prefer Homeopathic, Holistic approach, but just do it! 
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline 2Dizzy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
Hi Stoli,

First of all, I'm very happy ur still in the land of the living peeps. Glad ur survived.  The way you describe it, you are a very very lucky man. It brings back many memories to me; april the 6th last year I went through almost exactly the same experience. During a routine examination (54 years but I still do a lot of sports) they discovered a few pretty much closed arteries. Never had complaints, but suddenly squared to death, 4 stents and a week later I was at home again. "Your okay sir and good as new"...... I was lucky too. I realize that every day. The hard thing is to get it out of your head. Takes time. Believe me. Change ur callsign, ur way of life and all that. Burn ur perks even. But dont forget; talk about it, talk to people who had the same experience and do the things you enjoy. Live your life. I hope to see you in the sky now and then Stoli. Take care my friend.

Dizz 

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 07:48:22 AM »
Well since we are all sharing something or another...I am 38 years old and on December 30th went to the doctor for a sinus infection. First time to see this new doctor since my wife and I had gone to visit and basically "interview" him to see if he would be a good fit as our family physician.

Anyway as I stepped on the scale there I got a look at my weight...300.2 ponds...So I asked him for a body fat and density test. I come back the next day to another part of the office and find out that the former athlete (ME) is a startling 38% body fat. That afternoon I went back to the gym for the first time to actually lift weights and do something other than prove I could still do it. Over the next 15 days I lost 6 lbs but still wasn't eating right all the time. Not that I didn't eat healthy; I just didn't do it all the time; and now I think I eat healthy 99% instead of the 50-70% of the time.

Well 15 days later I started a weight loss program and a new work out regimen and now that I have almost 60 days into it I have dropped close to 30 pounds but haven't checked body fat since that day. My goal is to end up around 245 and have 15% or > body fat. My doctor has me scheduled for a CT scan in early April to check my arteries...I am scared of what that might turn up but I want to be in better shape just in case and my goal is to be very close to my goal body weight by then. I eat about 1500 calories a day, work out three times a week with strength and cardio training (bike or swimming) and am hoping to be down enough by the end of the summer to try my first mini-triathlon here at the local state park.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"