Author Topic: Arena Cap  (Read 904 times)

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Re: Arena Cap
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
Online Arenas Clickety-click Quit Online Arenas Clickety-click Quit always works for me.  Never more than five minutes till a slot opens up. 

Ditto!

NEVER have to wait more than 5 or so minutes.

Clickety click!!
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »
Skuzzy,

Given how often people complain of this, it has occured to me to wonder why it's considered necessary to display the number of players in the arenas - and especially in the late war arenas - at all.
If you guys simply displayed any unavailable arena as greyed out and without the numbers information - or didn't display it at all - then (seems to me) you'd eliminate most of the complaints.   If you read between the lines, it doesn't seem so much that folks are complaining because they can't have an enjoyable playing experience in the arena open to them at the time, but rather that they are afraid that someone else in the other arena might be having a better one.

I think they show us the numbers because those of us that accept the way things work will be able to have a better idea if and when we will be able to get in the arena we want.  If it was greyed out you wouldn't know if it was 1 over cap or 50 over cap.  

Maybe there needs to be an expandable note added at the log in screen that explains caps and why they are needed.  Perhaps a Note that says "What are arena caps?" and you click it and it explains it so people will understandz.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 04:23:57 PM »
  Perhaps a Note that says "What are arena caps?"

that would be perfect Grizz!!  great for guys like me who thought this whole thread was about guys over using CAPSLOCK  :uhoh
-AoM-

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 08:00:42 AM »
min cap 400. problem not solved, but mitigated.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 09:43:06 AM »
min cap 400. problem not solved, but mitigated.

So when 420 players are on...

LWO 400/400
LWB 20/400

Is that "problem mitigated"?

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »
yup because with rising numbers there are more players joining at 420 total than at 120 total (100 min cap). this means LWB gets to the critical mass for a decent fight quicker.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »
yup because with rising numbers there are more players joining at 420 total than at 120 total (100 min cap).

You did you measure the rate of growth?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
yup because with rising numbers there are more players joining at 420 total than at 120 total (100 min cap). this means LWB gets to the critical mass for a decent fight quicker.

:airplane: Hmmmm.... what?
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »
:airplane: Hmmmm.... what?

confused? you will be. :D

You did you measure the rate of growth?

well there arent stats available for this and I dont have the time/inclination to sample the arena populations for several days worth of 24h periods. however considering the max total numbers playing, and assuming a roughly normal distribution for total player numbers during the main sessions, the max rate of joins would be at 300-400 total players for weekend evenings and a little lower for weekday evenings. this would be even lower for the lunchtime sessions. to work best, the min cap should also be dynamic, based on the profile for that particular session. given the data for unique login attempts it would be fairly easy to determine the best min cap for each session.

edit: you take my point though, that the min cap for a session should be set to the number where the join rate is highest?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:23:21 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 11:10:37 AM »
edit: you take my point though, that the min cap for a session should be set to the number where the join rate is highest?

It all ready is.

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »
It all ready is.

HiTech

BINGOoooooo we have a winner!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 11:31:38 AM »
BINGOoooooo we have a winner!

brown noser !   :neener:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »
brown noser !   :neener:

:rofl

Did you think I was trying to get him back to work on the WWII side of the game?  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
It all ready is.

HiTech

phew! I got something right :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron