Author Topic: Percy Jackson and the Olympians  (Read 357 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:06:19 AM »
Rick Riordan- Percy Jackson & the Olympians
This is a series of 5 books aimed for the younger readers.

I havn't seen the movie myself yet but my daughter did and came home raving about it.
So I went looking for the original books. I just finished reading the first book "The Lighting Thief"

Very interesting basic premise (The "gods" of ancient Greece and Rome are still with us)
The Hero of the story is just that, a classic "Hero" of the old school, half mortal, half god. Ohh and he's like 12, and has more than his share of problems.

The good, story kept me very much engaged throughout, action never slowed down. Story line was pretty plausible all things considered.
No sex, not much in the way of bad language. Lots of twists and turns in the plot.

The bad, well if its there I haven't found it yet. Seriously

The Great, well this is a very easy way to get modern people interested in the old mythology.
This is going to grab kids by the ears and drag them off for an incredible adventure. Excellent choice for anyone with children who are trying to encourage them to read.

5 of 5 stars, 2 thumbs firmly up, this is an excellent straight up read for anyone who likes action adventure.
If you have any interest at all in kids, or the "old Gods" such as Zeus, Poseidon, or Greek Mythology you'll love it.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »
Thanks Ghosth, My son has been asking to go see this. Good to know its "youngster" friendly

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
Rick Riordan- Percy Jackson & the Olympians
This is a series of 5 books aimed for the younger readers.

I havn't seen the movie myself yet but my daughter did and came home raving about it.
So I went looking for the original books. I just finished reading the first book "The Lighting Thief"

Very interesting basic premise (The "gods" of ancient Greece and Rome are still with us)
The Hero of the story is just that, a classic "Hero" of the old school, half mortal, half god. Ohh and he's like 12, and has more than his share of problems.

The good, story kept me very much engaged throughout, action never slowed down. Story line was pretty plausible all things considered.
No sex, not much in the way of bad language. Lots of twists and turns in the plot.

The bad, well if its there I haven't found it yet. Seriously

The Great, well this is a very easy way to get modern people interested in the old mythology.
This is going to grab kids by the ears and drag them off for an incredible adventure. Excellent choice for anyone with children who are trying to encourage them to read.

5 of 5 stars, 2 thumbs firmly up, this is an excellent straight up read for anyone who likes action adventure.
If you have any interest at all in kids, or the "old Gods" such as Zeus, Poseidon, or Greek Mythology you'll love it.

No sex? Well there goes about 99% of Greek mythology.  :rolleyes:
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »
Mbailey I haven't seen the movie. But the books are IMO a great choice.

I see the movie is rated PG.
"PG   Rated PG for action violence and peril, some scary images and suggestive material, and mild language. "

Yes Saxman, lots of talk about "half bloods" or children of gods and mortals. No talk about exactly how that happened. :)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21:10 PM »
Yea, im not to worried about it, He may only be 9yrs old, but hes 9 going on 40 lately. Im not overly strict when it comes to PG stuff. R rated movies are still  a tad much, but PG or PG13 usually arent a concern.

Regarding "mild" language, the other day i was watching him put something together ( he didnt know i was watching ) and apparantly its wasnt going well. All of a sudden i hear him say ( low and under his breath ) " man this damn thing is driving me nuts"  ( insert Dad facepalm here)    Thats what i mean by 9 going on 40  lol
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »
I'm currently reading the 4th book.  Yeah, I like em.  I found it interesting that last year you couldn't hardly find the books, now they are like best sellers at WallyMart. 
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Bradman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
My two oldest daughters who loved the books watched it with their mother. They were upset that the movie left a bunch of stuff out which is quite typical. Other then that they liked the movie.

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »
havent read the books but might be interesting......... did see the movie... was decent I suppose....
reminded me a bit of an underfunded version of The Librarian movies......... at the risk of being skuzzified I do have to say I was put off a bit when they referrence a half god currently living in Washington
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
We let our 6 year old go with some friends and he came home saying that he loved the movie. So much so that he and I are going back to see it together soon.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:07:20 PM »
No sex? Well there goes about 99% of Greek mythology.  :rolleyes:
:rofl :rofl

I guess they'll leave out how the half man half god characters happened to get born to begin with.........  :D
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown