Author Topic: Need some help on laptops!  (Read 329 times)

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
Need some help on laptops!
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »
Well, I got a friend that asked me about a laptop today, he is looking for a good one for around $400, he won't be using it for gaming, mainly internet surfing and photo browsing. He DID tell me he needed a CD/DVD drive, so netbooks are out of the question.

I told him that he would want to look for one with Windows 7, 2GB or more RAM, and an Intel Core 2 Duo or Atom/ AMD Athlon II or better.  Do any of you guys know a laptop in that price range that would fit that picture? Or something that would work good enough?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need some help on laptops!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »
I thought the Atom processors are used mostly for the netbooks. Wouldnt think they would give much processing power

Myself personally I would stay away from windows 7/vista or whatever it is called now. Try to see if he can get a used one with XP on it. I cant stand vista at all
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
I thought the Atom processors are used mostly for the netbooks. Wouldnt think they would give much processing power

Myself personally I would stay away from windows 7/vista or whatever it is called now. Try to see if he can get a used one with XP on it. I cant stand vista at all

I stayed with XP pro for years. I recently built a new machine and installed Windows 7 Pro. It is so good I upgraded the other 4 machines here and my daughters Laptop. I highly recommend Win 7 Pro.

Toshiba makes some pretty decent less expensive machines along with HP.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »

Toshiba makes some pretty decent less expensive machines along with HP.

Alright, I'll see what I can find! Although I will not recommend HP to anybody, their customer support is terrible, the BIOS is locked, they put idk HOW many GBs of extra crud on my PC that I would never need nor use,etc...

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »
Netbook is good if he wants to have a CD drive that is detachable. They are great when not using it, extremely compact. They will do surfing and photo browsing easily but you'll need to buy a USB CD rom drive...that'll run you about 350-400 total.

I think Walmart has nice low laptop prices now...but 400 is quite low for a laptop with a good amt of RAM...I'd suggest bumping it up to 600...options would open up like heck.

As per HP...just reformat with your own copy of windows. Toshiba and Dell do the same, Dell to a lesser extent. My Dell cost 1000 but I upgraded it to hell.

Windows 7 is great as well...especially for notebooks.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:56:55 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »
Wasn't sure about Win 7 when I first upgraded (got a copy of win 7 Ultimate from my college for $10)...  I'm a total believer now though.  Outstanding OS.

AAJagerX
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »
What is your college? :devil

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
Start looking at WalMart online for laptops and compare the specs and prices to Best Buy. Getting a decent laptop under $400 should be easy and that will be with Win 7, CD/DVD read write drive at least 2 gigs RAM and a 250 Gig HD.

We got my wife a Toshiba with 3 gigs RAM, AMD processor (2.5 or 2.8 Mhz IIRC), 250 gig HD, CD / DVD r/w drive and 15" screen for $375 from wallyworld. just about Christmas time or so.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »
We got my wife a Toshiba with 3 gigs RAM, AMD processor (2.5 or 2.8 Mhz IIRC), 250 gig HD, CD / DVD r/w drive and 15" screen for $375 from wallyworld. just about Christmas time or so.
Wow thats fast! :D
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »
Yeah, I read a review and it said it only took 3 DECADES to get to the login screen, that's BLAZING FAST!   :D

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »
What is your college? :devil

Just a C.C. in Des Moines.  IIRC, MS is practically giving it away as long as you're enrolled in an accredited U.S. college.  Saved me $300, so I'm happy.

AAJagerX
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
Just a C.C. in Des Moines.  IIRC, MS is practically giving it away as long as you're enrolled in an accredited U.S. college.  Saved me $300, so I'm happy.

AAJagerX

Time to make dad go back to college like he said he was gonna do! lol