Author Topic: Silent Hunter 5  (Read 6925 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Silent Hunter 5
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »
I must agree, DRM SUCKS. I would buy it if I could play without internet. It's not that I don't have internet, but when I am playing NOT aces high, it's because at that particular time, I probably DONT have internet, or at least reliable internet. So, a game that would otherwise be perfect for playing on that long plane flight (Silent Hunter II was a long favorite for this) is now not an option.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 07:02:58 AM »
While that is correct Fulmar it isn't the hardware requirements for me. Its the fact that some time I just don't want to connect to the intardnet for anything at all...especially a single player game...unless I am downloading an update.

Being in the minority doesn't come with a lot of advantages.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 08:25:48 AM »
Well, since I am always 'plugged in' it doesn't bother me at all. I couldn't live without the intardnet for more than a few hours. Those poor telecom technicians had some bad times with me when the net was down...    :D
Real men fly Radial!

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »
Guys... tether your cell phone.

There's always an internet connection to be had, you just don't know it.

Online APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »
Guys... tether your cell phone.

There's always an internet connection to be had, you just don't know it.

I don't have internet service on my cell phone ( greedy Verizon @#$!! want too much ) and I'll be #$!@# if I'm going to get that just to play a standalone game.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
I don't have internet service on my cell phone ( greedy Verizon @#$!! want too much ) and I'll be #$!@# if I'm going to get that just to play a standalone game.

You're on the internet right now, which is the only thing required to play. Oh noes! :)

People here are crying about a "what-if" scenario if their internet just happens to go out when they want to play. Just funny. It took a hurricane to knock out my cable for 2 days... and my phone's internet still worked just fine.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 02:37:41 PM »
I think it is more than that.  I will not support a game which uses this type of DRM.  It has nothing to do with whether or not I am connected to the Internet.  I refuse to capitulate to extortion.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
I think it is more than that.  I will not support a game which uses this type of DRM.  It has nothing to do with whether or not I am connected to the Internet.  I refuse to capitulate to extortion.

Extortion? Does it magically make you buy more things?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
Let's see.  Coercing people to connect to the Internet in order to start the game.  Extortion may be harsh, but it is not far from the mark.  Forcing people to have an Internet connection, just to play the game, is extortion. You do have to pay for an Internet connection.  Just FYI, 'extortion' does not neccessarily require any money to trade hands.

I chose not to support any game or company, which uses such a heavy-handed method.  I vote with my wallet.  You are free to vote however you feel like.  It does not matter to me.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:01:50 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Online APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 03:00:01 PM »
Extortion? Does it magically make you buy more things?

Nothing magical about it.  Today, if I buy a standalone game, I can play it whenever I want, whether I'm connected to the internet or not.

Just so happens that there are times and locations I visit where the internet is not available through public means.  I do not subscribe to the services that would allow me to gain access to the internet no matter where I was.  

To satisfy that requirement I would have to pay somebody more $$$.

Sounds like extortion to me.

So.. I choose not to purchase the wares of this vendor.  

If they want my $$$ they have to satisfy my requirements.

AKDrone

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »
Let's see.  Coercing people to connect to the Internet in order to start the game.  Extortion may be harsh, but it is not far from the mark.  Forcing people to have an Internet connection, just to play the game, is extortion. You do have to pay for an Internet connection.  Just FYI, 'extortion' does not neccessarily require any money to trade hands

By that logic, HTC extorts people. Gotta have that internet connection to play, especially since private hosting went bye bye.

Online APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »
And how much $$$ did you pay for AH?

AKDrone

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
And how much $$$ did you pay for AH?

I've paid hundreds over the years. I still have an account open, and I don't even have a gaming PC at the moment.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »
By that logic, HTC extorts people. Gotta have that internet connection to play, especially since private hosting went bye bye.

Uh, actually no.  Our game does not require an Internet connection to play.  If you want to play online, then you need an Internet connection.  If you want to play offline, you do not have to be connected to the Internet.  You can install and play offline missions as well.

EDIT:  By the way, using us as an example in a DRM discussion is really not a good idea.  We give our game away.  You can play forever offline and never spend a cent on it.  We encourage people to give the game to others.  We really have zero concerns about our game being pirated.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:05:27 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 04:55:21 PM »
Uh, actually no.  Our game does not require an Internet connection to play.  If you want to play online, then you need an Internet connection.  If you want to play offline, you do not have to be connected to the Internet.  You can install and play offline missions as well.

EDIT:  By the way, using us as an example in a DRM discussion is really not a good idea.  We give our game away.  You can play forever offline and never spend a cent on it.  We encourage people to give the game to others.  We really have zero concerns about our game being pirated.

The last time I downloaded AH2 the entire offline experience consisted 4 aircraft circling the same base, no merging, not even shooting. Not much of a standalone experience. I wouldn't dare call that a game, more like a tutorial without instructions. No LAN play, online only. Internet connection required.

I wasn't nitpicking if it was a good DRM plan or not. There's much better ones out there, that's for sure, just the idea that it's extortion. Sounds pretty far-fetched.