Author Topic: Silent Hunter 5  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Silent Hunter 5
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
Offline missions are available to play in Aces High now and have been for some time.  You can even create your own offline missions if you like.  These are free options and available to anyone who wants to download them.  They do not come with the base installation of the game.

So what are you going to do when you want to play this game and you have an online connection but there is a routing problem over the Internet?  Or if they decide to pull the server down and not support the game anymore?  There are just too many pitfalls in this scheme that make it a bad choice to support, from my perspective.

It is your money.  You are free to vote however you like.  I feel the same about my money as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 05:13:53 PM »
The last time I downloaded AH2 the entire offline experience consisted 4 aircraft circling the same base, no merging, not even shooting. Not much of a standalone experience. I wouldn't dare call that a game, more like a tutorial without instructions. No LAN play, online only. Internet connection required.

I wasn't nitpicking if it was a good DRM plan or not. There's much better ones out there, that's for sure, just the idea that it's extortion. Sounds pretty far-fetched.

I've only checked out one or two of the missions.
You should check it out. I think you would be in for a surprise. Particularly when those other planes start shooting back lol
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »
It is even more than that. For many years AH had an 8 player free online game. They also offered 2 weeks trial when such a thing was not common at all.

Even if I only intend to play a game on a machine that has constant internet connection I will not buy a game that sets it as a requirement - because they require something irrelevant. They may as well require that I wear a blue shirt when I play it. Sure I have plenty of blue shirts and I often wear one when I play, but what the f#$^ is it to them what I do if the game is a single player game? it is a totally irrelevant requirement.

It is not like I will go and burn Ubi$oft offices - I will simply not give my money to such arrogant fools. It only saddens me that a total bust may put the future of this series in danger. On the other hand, there are enough sub-missive (pun intended) players that will eat whatever is served to them and ask for seconds.
Bon-apetite.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »
For the last few years I have absolutely enjoyed SH3 and SH4 with a group of friends on-line. APDrone has been there for the last year or so, and we have a good time whenever we run either of those games.......

A couple of folks within our group are really looking forward to SH5 coming out. Not a bad thing by any means, but I will not spend my money to purchase SH5. I travel regularly with my work and often find myself sitting in a location that does not have internet connectivity(and yes I'm talking about Hampton Inn and other hotels of that nature). SH3 and SH4 have been GREAT when burning off the stress of the day once I finally make it to a hotel. So just exactly how would I run SH5 when there is not an available internet connection? Granted, I may be one of the few who see this type of issue on a regular basis, but why would anyone spend their money for the right to play a game on their computer ONLY if they have an internet connection?

This whole idea of requiring a connection is ludicrous at best!

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
Back to the game, is it just me or does that not look like much of an improvement over SH4? At least graphically?

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »
I watched the video, and the graphics do look good..But I think the novelty of running through the sub to annoy me, Because I bet in real life the captin did not run around the ship giving orders but rather gave them from the command room thingy ( or can you do that in the game? )

It does look good..but right now I mostly play AH2 and a bit of fall out 3.
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 07:21:11 PM »
While that is correct Fulmar it isn't the hardware requirements for me. Its the fact that some time I just don't want to connect to the intardnet for anything at all...especially a single player game...unless I am downloading an update.

...and the fact that in some countries internet access is metered and merely having steam open while you play your single player game can end up consuming 5 to 10mb of data.

Not much for us in the US with unlimited but trust me, when your limit is 2gb a month it counts a lot.

Offline b4o2s9s

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 01:57:25 PM »
So what are you going to do when you want to play this game and you have an online connection but there is a routing problem over the Internet?  Or if they decide to pull the server down and not support the game anymore?  There are just too many pitfalls in this scheme that make it a bad choice to support, from my perspective.

Exactly what I was going to say Skuzzy. They could shut down the servers in 6 months if they wanted to. Not likely, but what about next year, or the year after? How long have people been enjoying SH3? I've been playing it for 5 years if I remember correctly, and it appears that I may be playing it for a few more. There is no way they will keep the servers running until everyone stops playing the game. The DRM idea is the dumbest move they could have made, and I'm sure they know it by now from all the feedback. I just hope this doesn't kill the series.
Mstang67
No squad cuz noob

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 02:03:02 PM »
We really have zero concerns about our game being pirated.

But the major studios do.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »
Exactly what I was going to say Skuzzy. They could shut down the servers in 6 months if they wanted to. Not likely, but what about next year, or the year after? How long have people been enjoying SH3? I've been playing it for 5 years if I remember correctly, and it appears that I may be playing it for a few more. There is no way they will keep the servers running until everyone stops playing the game. The DRM idea is the dumbest move they could have made, and I'm sure they know it by now from all the feedback. I just hope this doesn't kill the series.

Ubisoft has already stated that for any reason they decide to bring down the servers they will release a patch to eliminate the online requirement.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »
Ubisoft has already stated that for any reason they decide to bring down the servers they will release a patch to eliminate the online requirement.

ack-ack

Cool, at that time I might consider the game then.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »
I'm still sailing in SH3. GWX 3.0 has me still in the game.

I'm on Patrol 5, March 20th 1940. Weserburg is weeks away and they have me set to patrol near Gibraltar. Doenitz will get a piece of my mind for sure.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »
I was JUUUUUST about to get a friend of mine to set up a VPN so that I could d/l SH3.  I have the disk from when it was released but it is Starforce infected version.  Now I see that SH5 is coming out I will shelve plans to rebuy SH3.

The internet requirement is a pain the arse but not a game killer for me.

Is the release date March 4 or April 3??? - Edit...nm it is March 4...WOOT.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:27:06 AM by Curval »
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 12:13:25 AM »
For the last few years I have absolutely enjoyed SH3 and SH4 with a group of friends on-line. APDrone has been there for the last year or so, and we have a good time whenever we run either of those games.......

A couple of folks within our group are really looking forward to SH5 coming out. Not a bad thing by any means, but I will not spend my money to purchase SH5. I travel regularly with my work and often find myself sitting in a location that does not have internet connectivity(and yes I'm talking about Hampton Inn and other hotels of that nature). SH3 and SH4 have been GREAT when burning off the stress of the day once I finally make it to a hotel. So just exactly how would I run SH5 when there is not an available internet connection? Granted, I may be one of the few who see this type of issue on a regular basis, but why would anyone spend their money for the right to play a game on their computer ONLY if they have an internet connection?

This whole idea of requiring a connection is ludicrous at best!

Again that is another one of the reasons I will not be getting this game. I can't have a reliable connection in most hotels via my laptop and my company isn't going to pay for my air card to sit there and stay connected to some flapping server in Upbuttistan or anywhere for that matter when that server is checking my games registration every so often. It isn't a hardware issue or anything like that; it is simply that I will not pay for it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 05:43:53 AM »
I watched the video, and the graphics do look good..But I think the novelty of running through the sub to annoy me, Because I bet in real life the captin did not run around the ship giving orders but rather gave them from the command room thingy ( or can you do that in the game? )

That did seem pretty stupid.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.