Author Topic: Tighten up the blasted drone leash  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tighten up the blasted drone leash
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
You should only need 1G.
On the other hand, rolling over at the top of an Immelmann might be unpleasant for the crew.

You do realize that 1G is regular, plain-old, force-of-gravity, right?

The reason a pilot stays in his seat while looping isn't because of centrifugal force. It's because he's STRAPPED DOWN. And for a pretty damn good reason.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:48 PM »
Regular, plain-old, force-of-gravity seems to work pretty well for me at my desk. I don't need to be strapped down.

I could be wrong. I'm not a physicist or engineer and it's been awhile since I took physics in school.
Wedge

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Regular, plain-old, force-of-gravity seems to work pretty well for me at my desk. I don't need to be strapped down.

I could be wrong. I'm not a physicist or engineer and it's been awhile since I took physics in school.

Then again you aren't  pulling 9 G's over the top of an immelman in your chair, either.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »
1G (gravity) pulling down countered by 1G (radial acceleration) pulling up ..........produces ?  weightlessness..  ..................direction (vector?) is everything.

Would a slow Immelman really cause more discomfort  than a standard reversing cork screw taught to Lanc pilots?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/43/a4365443.shtml
Ludere Vincere

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
Oh, let's also remember those bomber crewmen are STANDING with no vertical support. All they have is their feet on the floor. When you accelerate in a car, or go through a loop in a roller-coaster you're not being pushed DOWN. You're being pushed BACK. You don't go anywhere because the seat is there. The result is the car or roller coaster accelerates forward or changes direction while you try to maintain your current speed/direction, and you get pushed into your seat, keeping you in place.

Take off the back of the seat and you're going to fall backwards right out of it as you accelerate.

Bomber crewmen are in that same situation. They don't have anything to be pushed INTO. If you've ever ridden on a train and were standing up while it was pulling out of the station and weren't holding on to anything you'll see EXACTLY what's going to happen to those poor crewmen.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
Then again you aren't  pulling 9 G's over the top of an immelman in your chair, either.
stretching WWII planes a little to the limits there if youre going 9Gs  :huh
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
I'm wrong. Forgot about thrust.
Wedge

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »

Bomber crewmen are in that same situation. They don't have anything to be pushed INTO. If you've ever ridden on a train and were standing up while it was pulling out of the station and weren't holding on to anything you'll see EXACTLY what's going to happen to those poor crewmen.

How did the Lancaster crews pull it off when they were forced to use the corkscrew maneuver?  

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »
stretching WWII planes a little to the limits there if youre going 9Gs  :huh

Just making a point.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »
haha ik you were but some people dont know that its even hard for a freaking eurofighter pilot to do 9gs
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 08:34:07 PM »
Found this diagram and info on the Corkscrew Maneuver.

Figure 1. Corkscrew maneuver

How to:

1. The pilot (originally cruising at 200-225 mph) opens his throttle and banks at 45 degrees to make a diving turn to port (because the enemy aircraft is on the port � reverse the maneuver if enemy is on starboard.); descending through 1,000 ft in six seconds, the bomber reaches a speed of nearly 300 mph. After the 1,000 ft descent, the pilot pulls the aircraft into a climb, still turning to port.

3. He reverse the turn, halfway through the climb which has caused his speed to fall sharply, possibly forcing the attacking night fighter to overshoot.

4. Regaining his original altitude, with speed down to 185 mph and still in the starboard turn, the pilot pushes the aircraft down into another dive.

5. Picking up speed in the dive, he descends through 500 ft before reversing the direction of the turn.

6. If the fighter is still on his tail, he stand by to repeat the maneuver. The physical effort required by the pilot has been compared with that of an oarsman pulling hard in a boat race.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »
Found this diagram and info on the Corkscrew Maneuver.

(Image removed from quote.)

Figure 1. Corkscrew maneuver

How to:

1. The pilot (originally cruising at 200-225 mph) opens his throttle and banks at 45 degrees to make a diving turn to port (because the enemy aircraft is on the port � reverse the maneuver if enemy is on starboard.); descending through 1,000 ft in six seconds, the bomber reaches a speed of nearly 300 mph. After the 1,000 ft descent, the pilot pulls the aircraft into a climb, still turning to port.

3. He reverse the turn, halfway through the climb which has caused his speed to fall sharply, possibly forcing the attacking night fighter to overshoot.

4. Regaining his original altitude, with speed down to 185 mph and still in the starboard turn, the pilot pushes the aircraft down into another dive.

5. Picking up speed in the dive, he descends through 500 ft before reversing the direction of the turn.

6. If the fighter is still on his tail, he stand by to repeat the maneuver. The physical effort required by the pilot has been compared with that of an oarsman pulling hard in a boat race.

None of which involves the aircraft turning upside down.

And anyway, this has gotten COMPLETELY away from the point. The point was not what an INDIVIDUAL bomber to do, but what a GROUP of bombers in TIGHT FORMATION could do.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
None of which involves the aircraft turning upside down.

And anyway, this has gotten COMPLETELY away from the point. The point was not what an INDIVIDUAL bomber to do, but what a GROUP of bombers in TIGHT FORMATION could do.
i agree to a point that our drones need work but at the same time i like being able to go vert, cut throttle and reverse without losing either of the two
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:19 PM »
You want to be able to make those hard evasive maneuvers then don't roll drones. Simple as that. I'd be willing to beck that Corkscrew wasn't flown by 3 Lancasters within 200 yards of each other.

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »
I believe the Air Force did testing with a B47 called toss bombing. The aircraft would come in low and fast over the target pull up sharply open bomb bay doors and "fling" the bombs at the target it would continue through an Immelman and continue in the opposite direction. I think you can even buy a video showing it. try this link.

http://www.zenosflightshop.com/category_s/1.htm&Click=1664

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken