Author Topic: backing up on the carrier  (Read 773 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
backing up on the carrier
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
I forgot how to back-up on the carrier to give more take-off when hvy?  :headscratch:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: backing up on the carrier
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
Haven't done it in ages, but if I remember right you just have to crack open the throttle just a tad.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »
There are two ways, First and foremost remember to raise the hook before you do either or it will sling you off the carrier.  THe first method is to crack the throttle, if it moves forward, pull it back just a bit.  The second is to leave the Throttle at idle, and pull the Prop back using the "-" key.  The problem is that if you use the Prop it takes a while to bring it back in, and if for some reason you have to get off the deck quick, it will take a while for the prop to come back to full pitch.  Also If you get up to get a frosty beverage and forget to bring the prop back to full, it gets really interesting on take-off.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:42:55 PM »
what are you trying to take off in while Heavy?

The F4U planes will take off fully loaded with (2) 1k bombs and 8 rkts  and 100% fuel without having to back up at all.......and it will not drop below the flight deck either .........

that backing up is just a myth that needs to be forgotten......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »
There are other times where being able to back up on the cv is pertinent, such as in FSO's or other one life events. Granted that's to rearm not get a couple extra feet on pavement.
-AoM-

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
deploy three notches of flap and crack the throttle  make sure to be ready on the breaks, and it can be used when you land to rearm if you overshoot the rearm pad, at least that's why i use it, no need to back up for take off, just learn how to do it right, F6F three notches of flap and wep works every time for me, never hardly fly the F4U so i wouldn't know for sure. :airplane:
Flying since tour 71.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:47:20 PM »
If it's a jug, (or any land plane for that matter, as they likely failed to stop before the conning tower) ya need to back up: full flaps, minimum rpms, crack throttle
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
If it's a jug, (or any land plane for that matter, as they likely failed to stop before the conning tower) ya need to back up: full flaps, minimum rpms, crack throttle
yep  i forgot about the juggs, and lala's and other stuff, landed my lancs on a CV a time or two, but i could never get them back up,,, darn con tower, can't find my picture of that tho.
Flying since tour 71.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »
Yes, I was only refering to any Carrier based Planes.....I was not talking about using land based planes to rearm on the CV's and then take back off....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »
I dunno...it's not easy to get loaded D hog off cv...(certainly for new folks) .seem silly to leave 25% of available deck beHIND you
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »
I dunno...it's not easy to get loaded D hog off cv...(certainly for new folks) .seem silly to leave 25% of available deck beHIND you

It's so easy a Caveman can do it  :old:

Launching Fully Loaded F4U 100% (2) 1,000LB bombs and 8 Rockets
Full throttle & WEP....

soon as you past the Island(Tower) drop 2 to 3 notches of flaps

soon as you clear the deck hold stick steady and bring in the gear

as speed builds bring in flaps

keep level for speed or do a slow gradual climb.....

All the Carrier based planes are designed to take off fully loaded without having to back up.....

of course anything may be a bit hard for New(er) Players..but backing up is not necessary, going in to offline mode or in to the TA and doing a practice of launching & Touch & go's, and landing....re arming and taking off again..

Now, when one lands on the CV, and re-arms be sure to raise the TailHook while re-arming......hold the brake......

then take off again the same way........ only this time you have to use more stick control, especially if you normally use "Auto-Takeoff mode" rearming and taking off from a CV is a bit more harder ..but with practice it will become just as easy.........

doing this for about 30 minutes and you should be good as gold....... ( btw That is why Navy Wings are GOLD...and AF wings are lead  :D )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:14:36 AM by TequilaChaser »

Offline Raga

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »
if its a 38 you can just turn on one engine, spin that baby around, reload. spin her back around again and ur ready to go.  :aok
Invictus Maneo

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 10:57:54 PM »
First off, I can take-off with any heavy ftr I've flown with a carrier that is not turning, however, I have to hit flaps once or twice while lifting gear. The few times I backed up in a fully loaded F-6F it came off much smoother, & I like learning and remembering things. I ain't no spring chicken so I sometimes have to re-learn things. Also, when you use the total length of the carrier, and it happens to start turning on you, you will be much better off, and I hate crashing perk fighters like F-4U into the water.  :banana: :rofl
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:01:15 PM by W7LPNRICK »
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,