Author Topic: Squeaker directing air traffic at JFK  (Read 2674 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Squeaker directing air traffic at JFK
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:41:02 AM »
 Bring your child to work day?  Heads are gonna roll.  :uhoh

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587801,00.html

Would have been great if the kid used our squad check6 call:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jalmjjztmjh

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Re: Squeaker directing air traffic at JFK
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »
I saw that on the news and almost choked on dinner. How Fn stupid do you have to be?!?
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
Don't get your panties in a bunch over this one.  The kid had a show day, dad had to drag him to work and he like a lot of children at one point under careful scrutiny get to talk on the radio from time to time.  The pilots liked it, the kid used near perfect phraseology and in the good old days was something that happened more frequently than today.

Today everyone has their bellybutton wound so tightly that the controller and supervisor have been relieved of their duties over something the media knows nothing about.  It's not just BS it's the highest order of sweet BS that would cause me to roll into a political/media rant that is best not done on this board.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »
I have no problem with it Golfer.  Thought it was funny. :)  The kid was supervised, but you know people love to complain. 

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:18 AM »
i see nothing wrong with what the kid did he was fully supervised and only gave departing calls, not like he was landing a jet with no engines and on fire, seems the pilots liked it to me, sometimes the news just needs to shut up, but hey thats Fox
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:21:55 AM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
I really just don't understand the problem.  Its not like the kid was up there with nobody around.  I am sure his dad was right there and told him everything to say.  The pilots enjoyed it, the kid sounded more professional than some people I have to deal with on a daily basis that are supposed to be professionals.
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »
I'm not sure what the big deal is, they sure were making alot of hay about it on the news this morning.

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »
Sounds like to me he did a good job, what's the problem here? A dad took his son to work like every other company man has to do eventually, just because he is in a tower he gets into trouble? What about cops who bring their kid to work, or fireman, is their job any less dangerous?
I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »
The only critique I might give is it wasn't a very slow time.  The father (controller) was doing most of the talking with the kid breaking in every now and then with something to say.  Directed of course with everything carefully worded and I'm sure rehearsed to perfection before he ever hit the PTT switch.

"Heads will roll..."

More like eyes. 

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »
The parties involved will be suspended I bet.  Not agreeing with it, just an observation.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »
Don't get your panties in a bunch over this one.  The kid had a show day, dad had to drag him to work and he like a lot of children at one point under careful scrutiny get to talk on the radio from time to time.  The pilots liked it, the kid used near perfect phraseology and in the good old days was something that happened more frequently than today.

Today everyone has their bellybutton wound so tightly that the controller and supervisor have been relieved of their duties over something the media knows nothing about.  It's not just BS it's the highest order of sweet BS that would cause me to roll into a political/media rant that is best not done on this board.

oo!!!

stop that you!!  no common sense allowed!!

:neener:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
When I was a kid some 30 years ago my dad was a pilot and in those days you had to have a licens to be able to communicate with the tower.  However being a dad trying to teach his kid neat and new things he taught me to talk to the tower for taxing and take off.  Never once did anyone one say anything to my dad about breaking protocol and yes there was a big WTG when I did it right from the tower as well as from my pop.  Since those days I have become a pilot myself and believe me that the kid was easier to understand than some of the controllers I've heard.  Especially on the AWOS recordings you hear for airport information.  There are a couple of airstrips near atlanta that you cannot understand a single word the dummy is trying to say in what should be the english language.  But thats affirmitave action for you. 

He also let my fly the airplane (auto pilot on. I couldnt apply enough preasure to disengage it) and that was also against the rules but again that was a different time.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
What's the big deal? Under close supervision the Forth Worth ARTCC will let you talk on center and approach frequencies. As expected, you go through some ground school and rehearsal before ever keying the mike.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:40:24 PM by Denholm »
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »
Golfer great find on YT. I see nothing wrong with this at all, the father was obviously right there, telling him what to say, hell I'm sure the kid knows 90% of the terminology already, else he wouldn't have even wanted to go. The pilots were loving it.

The FAA really has their heads stuck up their butts.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com