Author Topic: Best plane for high alt buff killing  (Read 5106 times)

Offline mantis

• Zinc Member
Re: Best plane for high alt buff killing
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:25 AM »
High alt buff killing?

Jugs.  No contest.

Ammo load, durability, zoom ability and good drop tank options make this absolutely true. I read earlier about 1 pass kills, a jug has no problem with this. Killing buffs, for me, is about beginning to apply damage ASAP from as far away as you can. You can do this with .50s much easier than with cannons. My aim is a bit off, I usually start getting hits at 800-1000, but we'll get back there!

http://www.filedropper.com/p47-8buffs

EDIT: I know this isn't quite 30k, but performance would only be better that high.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:42:22 AM by mantis »

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 02:44:02 PM »
Hi all!

Killing buffs with .50's is a tricky business. One needs more hits with .50's than with cannons. The time you spend there pumping .50's on the buff, makes you an easier target... :rolleyes:

I prefer to go in fast, do an initial snapshot, and get out, to repeat.

In the old days, when we had an nme attackers approaching our HQ, I would up a 109 G-14 with gondolas to after them.

Nowadays, the fashion is to fly buffs at 30.000ft or close. At that altitude If your plane is still fuel heavy, and the plane does not have enough power at those alts, you'll be a sitting duck...

So, now, I up a 109 K4 w/ 75% fuel + DT.

There was this Lanc formation at about 27,000ft. I release the DT and keep climbing, maintaining a safe distance from the buffs guns.

When higher than the nme formation,  I dive to get some E and start the attack.

Film here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jrymnnzfhjt/K4 vs 3 hi alt lancs.ahf

Mutley

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »
Hi all!

Killing buffs with .50's is a tricky business. One needs more hits with .50's than with cannons. The time you spend there pumping .50's on the buff, makes you an easier target... :rolleyes:

When higher than the nme formation,  I dive to get some E and start the attack.

Film here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jrymnnzfhjt/K4 vs 3 hi alt lancs.ahf

Mutley

Did you watch his movie file?  :rolleyes: Do you think he loitered?  :uhoh He hit & ran as fast as anyone shooting cannons, with nearly a one pass, one kill average for 6-7 kills? Back-up what you claim with your own movie. :banana:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 07:37:56 PM »
Did you watch his movie file?  :rolleyes: Do you think he loitered?  :uhoh He hit & ran as fast as anyone shooting cannons, with nearly a one pass, one kill average for 6-7 kills? Back-up what you claim with your own movie. :banana:

Then shows us how you do it... :D  :aok

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 09:59:54 PM »
Then shows us how you do it... :D  :aok

I like what he did, but I like 110G-2 & rocket w/ heavy guns.  :x
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »
I like what he did, but I like 110G-2 & rocket w/ heavy guns.  :x

You did, as we say here, salute using someonelse´s hat... Next time salute using your own... :aok

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 12:28:40 AM »
You did, as we say here, salute using someonelse´s hat... Next time salute using your own... :aok

I'll do exactly as I please, thank you.  :neener:  I'll salute his fine movie clip anytime I wish and you will say any baseless thing you wish. That's what the forums for...opinions. So bite me if ya don't like it.  :aok
WildWzl

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 02:27:54 AM »
I'll do exactly as I please, thank you.  :neener:  I'll salute his fine movie clip anytime I wish and you will say any baseless thing you wish. That's what the forums for...opinions. So bite me if ya don't like it.  :aok

I´l decline the offer... If you're so mad, bite your own forehead... That may calm you down...  :x :banana:

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
Who's mad? I say Bite me! to my friends all the time.  :salute
WildWzl

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
I agree that the 109K-4 works well as do the Jugs and both the Spit XIV and XVI and, of course, the ME163 if it's close by.
Not the Spit XVI, its performance drops off above 17000ft.  The high altitude Spitfires are the Mk IX and Mk XIV.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »
Technically, yes, but even with the different engine gearing, the spit16 and the spit8 are only about 10-12mph(?) slower than the spit9.

All 3 are about 50mph slower than the Spit14, though. 14 for the winnar!

P.S. The spit16 charts show it only drops off from the spit9 at around 20-22k, not 17k.

It suffers in climb rate (less wing area) above 21K, but still outclimbs the spit9 until 25k. All that extra horsepower makes up for the lower gearing, and in the end you there's not too much difference.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:31:40 PM by Krusty »

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
I think hunting buffs is absolutely ridiculis at 30k, It really sucks.
But if your into it, then 47M-Ta152 is prefered plane. I personnaly take the TA, but as stated before, radiator hits are a hazard more so then any other. What I like about the TA though usually a good burst gets u a kill, just line up quick, and hammer down, get out. Seriously get out of his guns range quickly. If you do get a radiator hit u may get two more passes before your a glider. But in there lies the rub. You could probable glide 5 sectors at that alt. Just trim prop. Also I only use 75% and no drop for fuel, and guns are set far out. 500 for me. You may prefer 650.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 12:14:02 AM »
I had three 20K kills one night in a Ta-152 but took radiator damage and did exactly that... glided exactly 5 sectors to land safely.

Those long wings allow the 152 to glide like no other plane in the game but I'd rather not take radiator damage to begin with.

BTW, I start hitting with the A8's 30mm's at about 800 yards.  Not much different than a .50 if you know how to aim them but a lot more powerful.

One last thing, I still prefer the Spit XVI over the IX even at extreme alt.  It's still a much stronger flyer than any buff and the .50's are better than the .303's.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:17:52 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 06:48:47 AM »
Back-up what you claim with your own movie. :banana:

Uhmm...that's EXACTLY what he did!  Mut, that was a nice setup and good low attack on a Lanc.  Well done!   :salute
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
WHATEVER you choose if you have ever flown a buff try to remember the blind spots u encounter defending it,also the manuevers the enemy did to shoot u down, it seems the best buff killers get in get out twisting and pour back in again.

Also a lot of moving makes them chew up ammo quick, if u see a guy picking his shots as opposed to spraying everywhere, probably good to assume he is a vet buff pilot and take extra caution. :joystick: