Author Topic: New arena-No icons- axis v allies rotating balance Plane sets No F3  (Read 12231 times)

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
I wish for an additional arena -No icons- Axis v Allies Rotating maps with balance Plane sets  No F3.

I wish there was an Axis V allies arena that used no icons at all were one had to id aircraft by knowledge of the solute.

Good effective communication would be a necessity.
ACM would be far more effective and realistic.
The opponent couldn't see you coming from 5 klks out,and good wing man tactics would be absolutely necessary.

For those purest I think it would create a fantastic arena.
 With terrain switching from well balance plane sets, early war, mid war, and late war ,map rotations. with equal distribution of theaters of operations, Ie Pacific theater AC V pacific theater Ac. no mixing 109 and fw with zeros ect. Basically historically accurate map rotations with correct plane sets for that theater of operation.with only 2 sides two country's that's it.

So many are so caught up in the graphs and performance of air craft and skin accuracy ect,  yet there is no arena that is correctly balance.
 This style arena would be the perfect hunting ground.
 :salute RaVe
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:39:57 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: New arena-No icons- axis v allies rotating balance Plane sets No F3
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »
No icons would not make ACM more 'effective or realistic'.

We also already have an arena like the one you're asking for...it even has the same name of the arena you're asking for.  The only difference is the existing AvA has a short range icon.  Why not suggest a week setup with icons turned off?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
It would absolutely make ACM's more effective with out icons showing your position. They are unrealistic and kills the immersion .

I didn't realise that the plane sets were balanced in there. I got it mixed up.... Right ..No Icons in there then.
what do you mean by a week set up?
Try it for a week?
?...Why don't more fly that arena its always empty. Seems like the best one out of the bunch.
. :salute
RaVe
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:01:55 PM by Nr_RaVeN »

Saadi

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:14:38 PM »
Actually, the icons are there to compensate for the fact that the game's resolution can't match what the human eye can see. Planes in the games are only pixel-sized dots at ranges where the type and markings would be clearly visible to the human eye in real life.

Although I WOULD suggest the caveat of icons not being visible on aircraft that are viewed against the ground.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:17:47 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »
Actually, the icons are there to compensate for the fact that the game's resolution can't match what the human eye can see. Planes in the games are only pixel-sized dots at ranges where the type and markings would be clearly visible to the human eye in real life.
This has already been tried, with enemy icons off and friendly icons at 3k, on an off week of FSO, with an attendence of 100+ people. I observed;

1)Everyone loved it, neither on country channel nor 200 did I hear any complaining about not being able to see or anything (except on the BBS from people who weren't there, of course)
2)It was very easy to identify aircraft at long distance despite the lack of icons
3)Fighting was.... Soooooo much more fun.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:19:57 PM by Motherland »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »
It would absolutely make ACM's more effective with out icons showing your position. They are unrealistic and kills the immersion .

How would no icons make ACM more effective?  A High Yo-Yo is still a High Yo-Yo regardless if icons are on or off and the maneuver is no more effective with icons off than it is with icons on.  Basically, you're not going to see a change in ACM.

I didn't realise that the plane sets were balanced in there. I got it mixed up.... Right ..No Icons in there then.
what do you mean by a week set up?
Try it for a week?

I believe the AvA staff rotate "mini-scenarios" on a weekly basis.  Contact one with your idea and see if it can be hosted during one of the weekly rotations.

?...Why don't more fly that arena its always empty. Seems like the best one out of the bunch.
. :salute
RaVe

AvA isn't very popular for a myriad of reasons, hard to pin point any one real reason as most will cite multiple reasons.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
I wish for an additional arena -No icons- Axis v Allies Rotating maps with balance Plane sets  No F3.

I wish there was an Axis V allies arena that used no icons at all were one had to id aircraft by knowledge of the solute.

Good effective communication would be a necessity.
ACM would be far more effective and realistic.
The opponent couldn't see you coming from 5 klks out,and good wing man tactics would be absolutely necessary.

For those purest I think it would create a fantastic arena.
 With terrain switching from well balance plane sets, early war, mid war, and late war ,map rotations. with equal distribution of theaters of operations, Ie Pacific theater AC V pacific theater Ac. no mixing 109 and fw with zeros ect. Basically historically accurate map rotations with correct plane sets for that theater of operation.with only 2 sides two country's that's it.

So many are so caught up in the graphs and performance of air craft and skin accuracy ect,  yet there is no arena that is correctly balance.
 This style arena would be the perfect hunting ground.
 :salute RaVe

Finally, a convert !!!!
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:43:34 PM »
This has already been tried, with enemy icons off and friendly icons at 3k, on an off week of FSO, with an attendence of 100+ people. I observed;

1)Everyone loved it, neither on country channel nor 200 did I hear any complaining about not being able to see or anything (except on the BBS from people who weren't there, of course)
2)It was very easy to identify aircraft at long distance despite the lack of icons
3)Fighting was.... Soooooo much more fun.
the combat challenge you are talking about was awesome, loved it, should be more just like it. daddog did a great job of it. One a week please.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »
How would no icons make ACM more effective?  A High Yo-Yo is still a High Yo-Yo regardless if icons are on or off and the maneuver is no more effective with icons off than it is with icons on. Basically, you're not going to see a change in ACM.

"Loose sight loose fight" no Icon "CRUTCH" to help locate the opponent.  A lag roll becomes extra deadly ...or skirting under the nose if you initiate the moves and your opponent cant follow you or know were your Ac will be your on top.
It adds to the effectiveness of the ACM to use blind spots ect w/o the aid of glowing Icons .. split S away when out numbered lots of reasons. Ever flown No icon sims? You Here me if you have. If not its hard to understand unless you experience it.
~S~ RaVe  :salute
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:02:15 PM by Nr_RaVeN »

Saadi

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 09:26:02 PM »
I have always said this.

The atmos would be alot better.

Is it a friend? is it a high eny or low eny aircraft?. And yes it would behard to see your opponent, also with completely redundant icons. You would not be able to tell who a friend or an enemy is in a furball.

In short. AWESOME.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
No icons = simulating pilots who are legally blind.

Have fun.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »

Have fun.
I must be legally blind then  :O
Is there some application I need?
This is very distressing, I never knew. :(

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:34 AM »

Not to mention it rewards the guy with the bigger monitor, and it absolutely caters to the guy with more than 1 monitor. I don't consider those individuals wanting the lack of icons any different than the people telling Hitech that the lack of minute engine control made his game worthless.

I've been very vocal about the 'no icon' events, I refuse to take part until quality VR headsets become the standard in PC gaming. When that happens, sign me up.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 02:24:07 AM »
I must be legally blind then  :O
Is there some application I need?
This is very distressing, I never knew. :(
You don't know what you are talking about.  The range at which things are identifiable in AH are far shorter than they are in reality.  The range at which, for example, you can read the letter codes on a fighter are far shorter in AH than they are in reality.  In fact, they are so much shorter than a person with such limited vision would be denied their drivers license because they would be unable to read road signs in time to act on them at highway speeds.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »

Although I WOULD suggest the caveat of icons not being visible on aircraft that are viewed against the ground.
Saxman, when was the last time you clearly saw the markings on even a jumbo jet from 18,000 feet?...how about 15,000 feet?...12,000 feet maybe? Everyone in AH must have more than perfect vision if they're able to determine anything more than plane type on a 50 foot long fighter from more than 2 miles away...that means you should be able read the license plate on a car at 1/2 a mile without a telescopic device. Now I am truly amazed...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett