Author Topic: Gelcoat Question  (Read 1001 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Gelcoat Question
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »
Hey all i have a Gelcoat Question, i have Little Oxidation on the Stern of my MasterCraft and want to get something that will cut thru it, Ive tried a few products fine compounds but there Automotive and don't really seem to remove all the Oxidation, any suggestions??  please dont say talk to a dealer they want to stick it to ya lol
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Re: Gelcoat Question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
What type of compounds are you using?  Have you tried a cutting compound with an orbital buffer?  I've had a lot of luck with Glare products although they are automotive as well.  http://www.glare.com/ecart/proddetail.asp?prod=37411-glr-004%3A%3A01
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:39:07 PM »
yea im using a buffer with some 3M mild rubbing compound, ive tried other compounds like Turtlewax, McQuiers, i might have to go to a heavier grit compound, but im also thinking maybe some wetsanding with fine grit paper then polish back to a luster using the buffer and polishing compunds.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:13:46 PM »
there are products made for gelcoat. 

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
there are products made for gelcoat. 

thats what the 3M product said it was for it just seems to fine, of course the make 3 grades, fine, medium and course, Guy said to try the fine, guess ill go back and try the Med? maybe, I'd hate to think i would have to use the Course, its just area's right over the teak swim platform below the platform its mint, It's from the sun and exaust and boot lube from the wakeboards, its a thick gelcoat color so i guess alot of elbow grease might be needed ,the rest of the Boats done looks mint, just this back stern

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:58 PM »
3m imperial finishing compound.
Just so you know I paint yachts for a living.
May need to sand with a little 1200/1500 grit first.
Use a foam pad not wool.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:52:47 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
So bronk your saying 1200 to 1500 wetsand then compound buff till shiny? i kind of figured id have to do that, i ordered all new mastercraft stickers the old ones were faded, so i want it as pristine looking before i put the new ones back on, i have that exact smaller bottle, i mean it worked good just didnt remove it all, ill do the wetsand then buff, thanks Bronk

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:20 AM »
So bronk your saying 1200 to 1500 wetsand then compound buff till shiny? i kind of figured id have to do that, i ordered all new mastercraft stickers the old ones were faded, so i want it as pristine looking before i put the new ones back on, i have that exact smaller bottle, i mean it worked good just didnt remove it all, ill do the wetsand then buff, thanks Bronk

2000 grit then hit it with 3000 trizact on a DA, you can then do your makeup in the reflection after you buff it  :cheers:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 08:21:44 AM »
Just remember once you start sanding/compounding, you have to keep the boat waxed.  Keep that gelcoat sealed to slow oxidation.

See Rule #4

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 11:12:44 PM »
OK i wet sanded with 1500 at first till the Oxidation was off then went to 2000 to smooth it out, used the 3M compound and it turned into a mirror, finished it off with 3 nice coats off wax to protect it, just have to keep it waxed to keep it looking great , thanks Bronk
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:14:17 PM by 68ZooM »

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »
Awesome, good deal Zoom.  We always just let the deck force handle that on our boats :aok
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 08:00:28 AM »
Glad it worked well for you.  :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
next time try 1 of Big White products they work excellent! also 3m makes a 4000 grit called super/ultra micro fine.
http://www.bigwhitemarine.com/
Bronk,
What paints do you use Interlux, Awl Grip<uspaints>, ZSpar,  Pettit , Epifanes....etc?
Myself... Awl Grip is the shiznik. It started off as airplane paint and is hard as a rock and will give a glass shine with no buff out for about 5 years if applied correctly.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:08:37 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
next time try 1 of Big White products they work excellent! also 3m makes a 4000 grit called super/ultra micro fine.
http://www.bigwhitemarine.com/
Bronk,
What paints do you use Interlux, Awl Grip<uspaints>, ZSpar,  Pettit , Epifanes....etc?
Myself... Awl Grip is the shiznik. It started off as airplane paint and is hard as a rock and will give a glass shine with no buff out for about 5 years if applied correctly.
Awlgrip, awlcraft 2000, Dupont's new marine line, HMG, sterling,  and alexseal. Shops been pushing the alexseal.
Awlgrip is slipping, Alexseal is going to kick their rear.  Better gloss easier to repair and better coverage.  I think USpaint has been sitting on their rear relying on their established rep.  I painted two 40' sport fishers both in fighting lady yellow.  The one sprayed with alexseal had much more gloss to it.  

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:18:13 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 07:13:04 PM »
well i went all out and wetsanded every scratch out of it, started with 900 then 1500 and finished with 2000, then i used 3M buffing compound to get a mirror finish, then followed with 3 heavy coats of wax, then when i thought i was done i seen the teak swim platform, soooo i stripped/sanded and refinished that to, Im to tired right now to snap some pics so tomarrow ill take pics and post them, for being a 1992 its dam near new, im glad the finished results made all that hand sanding worth it.