Author Topic: does WEP reset if you rearm?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
does WEP reset if you rearm?
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:17 AM »
say you've used 8 mins of your P51s WEP and you then rearm, does it reset to 10 mins max again, or do you just have the 2 mins left? :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: does WEP reset if you rearm?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
WEP doesn't actually run out.  The time limit is for continuous use.  It resets every time the engine cools although duration might be shorter if the engine is still "warm".
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:02:03 AM »
thats what I thought but:

Planes do not have unlimited wep and all planes are not the same.

The P51D has 10 mins (600 secs) of total wep time, and 5 mins or continues wep time. Would have to look at the cool down rate. The equates to 5 mins wep, if you cool down all the way you get another 5 mins, but then no more.

The 4Fu has 480 secs of total wep with (not positive) 5 mins of max continues.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
I think he was talking about real life planes. Like the P-47 uses ADI water injection, well there's only "10 minutes" of that water storage to inject, but you can use it however many times up til then. HT was saying it's not a 1-shot deal.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »
I read it as how WEP is modelled in AH, which might have a bearing on whether you want to rearm or replane...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
As modeled in AH, wep can be reused after the engine cools.
Used in short bursts with a cooling off period you can often get 20-30 minutes of wep on a sortie if you fly it like that.

Most planes in real life did have finite limits, although in many cases it was more a matter of pushing throttles through the wire, shortening engine life. In others they had limited amounts of water, etc.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »
thats not what HT says above ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »
thats not what HT says above ...

I took a P-51D up and tested it. I did the 5-min WEP, 10-min cool-down cycle 5 times before running out of fuel.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 05:12:28 PM »
wow, had no idea.....been flyin jug for 3 years making sure I didnt waste my 5 minutes  :headscratch:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »
wow, had no idea.....been flyin jug for 3 years making sure I didnt waste my 5 minutes  :headscratch:

WEP in AHWiki

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 06:19:43 PM »
I took a P-51D up and tested it. I did the 5-min WEP, 10-min cool-down cycle 5 times before running out of fuel.

Does that mean that after a second 10-minute cooldown, you no longer had WEP after that point?

As far as I know, AH does not model "drainable" additives. Weight-wise, they are dead weights on the model air frame, and do not decrease that weight with use.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »
Does that mean that after a second 10-minute cooldown, you no longer had WEP after that point?

No. It means was able to WEP 5 times (for 5 minutes each). I had to stop the test for running out of fuel (and patience, flying around for 65 minutes ain't that fun ;) )

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:27:57 PM »
oooooooh... that's what you meant by 5 cycles -- sorry! Thought it was a reference to cycling wep for 5 minutes!

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »
I dont think its based on time that way... you have wep until then engine redlines. then when it cools down  u can run it till it relines again.

It does not reset persay your engine cools down. if u shut it off it cools down more in the same period of time.

:airplane:

this is my understanding of how it works i guess i should test it before running off at the mouth.

I never run out of wep that i can remember  i die to quicky. :devil
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:11:41 PM by FireDrgn »
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »
I dont think its based on time that way... you have wep until then engine redlines. then when it cools down  u can run it till it relines again.

It does not reset persay your engine cools down. if u shut it off it cools down more in the same period of time.

:airplane:

this is my understanding of how it works i guess i should test it before running off at the mouth.

I never run out of wep that i can remember  i die to quicky. :devil

No, it IS strictly time based. Think of the temperature gauge more of a clock...
And because it is time based, you can't  regain WEP more quickly by throttling down. See the AH Wki link I provided above for WEP & "cooling" times for different planes.