Author Topic: 2.18 Released  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: 2.18 Released
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 02:46:47 PM »
I'm curious when we're going to start seeing the expanded damage models, and how exactly they plan on expanding it....
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
I'm curious when we're going to start seeing the expanded damage models, and how exactly they plan on expanding it....

Like this you mean?

Game ID: Blimey

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
bet she handled a little wobbly.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
HTC just needs to tie in the squadrons with the new arenas and we'll be set.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 03:40:35 PM »
Like this you mean?

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm talking in the WWII arena. HTC stated that the WWI arenas would be testing an expanded damage model that would eventually be applied to the WWII aircraft. So far that just looks like the same-old all-or-nothing damage modeling we already have, just that the WWI planes have a couple additional wings....
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
AWESOME!  It's like freaking Christmas, wtg HTC.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
I'm talking in the WWII arena. HTC stated that the WWI arenas would be testing an expanded damage model that would eventually be applied to the WWII aircraft. So far that just looks like the same-old all-or-nothing damage modeling we already have, just that the WWI planes have a couple additional wings....

The damage list has been greatly increased, many more damage spots then just "Right wing" "Left wing" or half a wing.

Some examples:

Superfly right before we kill him:

My plane after a lot of hits:

Damage list on F2.B:

I lost half my top left then after a while I lost all of it, then later a collide took my right upper, The damage shows my ailerons as gone, but the bottom ones still work (bug?).  Losing H/V stab surfaces doesn't kill the actual controls (damages the part it attaches to, but it still works).  It's a large improvement of damageable spots over WWII right now.
Love the new damage model (8 days early but a great birthday gift too!). :D
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
quote 1701E:
Damage list on F2.B:

That is THE most awesome thing I've seen in AH in a long time!!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »
Ok, so if I'm reading that right, now we have elevator, aileron and rudder cables that can be cut, and the surface itself can be chewed up in addition to the entire component being shot off outright (presumably this has some effect on lift generation and control response)? And am I seeing that the prop ITSELF can be destroyed now?!

I'm interested in how this is going to be applied to the more complex WWII aircraft. IE, the F4U didn't have one continuous flap on each side, but each was an assembly of three. Maybe also damage to the trim tabs?

I did sort of play around a little offline while on lunch. Should trim control be available in the WWI aircraft? I was able to trim my nose and CT worked just like the WWII birds. I know the Sopwith Triplane had a variable-incidence horizontal stab, but could WWI birds really be trimmed to this extent?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
Saxman, RE: trim tabs and trim in WW1

AH does not model adjustable "tabs" -- they model simply "offsetting the stick"

it's called trim, but it's just re-centering your stick, rather than only what physical trim is built into the plane design.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
The pilot animation is pretty cool  :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
it's called trim, but it's just re-centering your stick, rather than only what physical trim is built into the plane design.

What do you think trim does in most real planes?

HiTech

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 04:55:11 PM »
 :D

HiTech

Can't wait for this download to finish!!!
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
It was a lot of fun, the moves you can pull in those little terrors is ridiculous. The WWI arena really separates the men from the boys!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »

HiTech

HT, most other games only model a trim on the flight surface itself, requiring constant stick pressure against your "centering spring." AH's shifts the entire stick, as if a pilot in real life just created a new center. I like this better, as it deals with spring-centered PC joysticks so much more realistically.

I've read your descriptions of how it works from many previous threads, I was just trying to phrase for Saxman in such a way as to suggest it's not dependent on the available trim tabs on control surfaces at the time the plane was made, rather than simulating the pilot's work control of the stick.