Author Topic: Trivia with Dad  (Read 385 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
Trivia with Dad
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:10:10 PM »
My Dad was on D.E.(#?)Brannon back in the 50's and I like to get him talking once in a while. Some neat things he talked about: He said their PT boats had mostly 40mm & 20mm twin barreled guns which fired one barrel at a time & the recoil loaded the empty barrel as it slid back. He doesn't remember ever seeing a 30mm deck gun. He said the D.E's  had single 5" gun fore & aft with lots of lighter machine guns spread out, and "Hedge Hogs" on the rear. I scratched my head over the "Hedge Hogs"...that's what they called the Depth Charges. He didn't know why, except the rolled off the ship like a hedge hog rolls up in defense when frightened. When him & his mates got bored they would go to the armory & check out, M-2 carbines, BAR's, Tommy-Guns, M-1 Garands, or 45acp 1911's with all the ammo they could shoot. They'd go by the kitchen and get a bunch of empty 5 gal milk cans and other large cans that all went overboard back then anyway. They'd go to the fan tail & throw the cans out in the sea and start tearing them up, full auto, etc. to see who could sink them the fastest. I told him after Viet-Nam they got really tight with the ammo & guns, & you'd play hell getting any to go "Play" with that way. He looked disappointed. Good youthful memories though, and fun to talk with him about it. We gotta get these and other stories before these guys are all gone.   :salute     
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Trivia with Dad
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:57:02 AM »
and "Hedge Hogs" on the rear. I scratched my head over the "Hedge Hogs"...that's what they called the Depth Charges.

I've never seen Hedge Hogs mounted on the rear of a ship, only on the front of the ship. They were short range mortars that that would cover a good sized area (they fired them all at once) and would only explode on contact (impact fuzed) with the enemy sub's hull. The reason it was so nice was it allowed the sonar guy on the hunting destroyer(s) to keep track of the sub's location without the depth charge explosion noise masking the bearing.

Here is the first pic I found of a set up.

I have a great job, I get to meet with vets all the time. Definitely one of the fringe benefits of the job.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:04:51 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »
The "Hedgehog" and later "Squid" were the two "Ahead-Thrown Weapons" on Allied sub-killers during the war.

Here is an image showing a Hedgehog installation on the foredeck of HMS Parret:

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
Good youthful memories though, and fun to talk with him about it. We gotta get these and other stories before these guys are all gone.   :salute     
Quoted for truth.

My Dad was on CV-12 in 1944 at age 17.  He passed away at the age of 80.  He would often reminisce on his days in the Navy. 

He was a Water Tender 3rd class.  His battle station was in a boiler room, watching a sight gage.  His supervisor would sit in entrance to the only access to the topside with a big wrench.

There was at least one island in the Pacific on which a little R&R station was set up.  My dad said is was essentially a sand bar.  The sailors were allowed to get off the ship and drink a couple of beers.

There was a CPO who ran a craps game.

There was a guy he recognized from his home town who was a pilot.  They spoke once, and he never saw him again.

The below deck guys were easily spotted for the lack of a tan.

He held survivors of the Franklin in near reverance.  Right after the Franklin, metal plates were welded around the Hornet to prevent avgas from flowing between the decks.

I hope young guys and non-vets realize how lasting an impression time in the military makes on a person. You guys in the military now need to look past the crap to appreciate that what you are doing is special.  You will remember it when you are 80.

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
Dad may have said front of the ship for Hedge Hogs, but when I asked if the were depth charges he looked thoughtful like he was trying to explain them.  :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,