Author Topic: WWI: The Last Clash - in the AvA  (Read 1160 times)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
WWI: The Last Clash - in the AvA
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:21:18 AM »
For those interested in doing a 'Royal Air Force' vs 'Imperial German Air Service' the AvA is hosting 'The Last Clash' this week..

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,285185.0.html

All are welcome..

[ps]

Thank you Shifty for the scenario..

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:43:57 AM by soda72 »

Offline WMGambit

• Zinc Member
Re: WWI: The Last Clash - in the AvA
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:55:22 AM »
I guess that could work, but why not wait a week or two so guys can learn the planes a bit???  I myself flew a couple sorties in the WW1 arena and while I will agree it is a big change from the MA's and a little fun, I have no clue the strength's and weakness's of these aircraft and for example-I saw a post by a newer pilot saying he liked the AvA and the no icon stuff, but he is not a very good pilot yet.  These WW1 planes are a big step down from our WW2 era Aircraft and for someone new to just be learning the MA Aircraft to step in with those of us that have been playing and can wing it, lol, no pun intended, could be very frustrating.  Just a thought. 

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
I guess that could work, but why not wait a week or two so guys can learn the planes a bit???  

I understand your point of view.

I believe AvA staff feels that everyone will want to try WW1 planes for a week or so.

So as not to lose all momentum to the WW1 arenas, they feel they need to get them in AvA and see how they play with the arena settings, especially no enemy icons.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:08:13 AM »
it will be a very level playing field, No one is good at flying the darn things. basically all of our suckage will be on an equal level, therefore why not go with it.

same fun arena, no icons and a plane you're not good at flying! sounds like a challenge to me!! bring a friend, dying in good company is more fun!

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:22:20 AM »
Flew in AvA last night for the first time in a very, very long time, and really enjoyed it. When I jumped in it was just Slash27 and Warhwk on the Axis side, so I jumped over there and hopped in a Dr.I and honestly had a TON of fun. I'm not very good at all at getting a shot on someone, but apparently not terrible at shaking people. There were periods where it was a 3v3 furball with all of us just circling around each other. Every turn you'd see a wing or hear an engine go by in close proximity for 3 or 4 minutes STRAIGHT. It was exhilarating. Then after things calmed down, we'd all be talking amongst each other trying to find the next con(s) coming in to the fight becuase of the no-icons. It is amazing how much gunnery and manuevering changes when you aren't sure of the distance of the enemy.

<S> guys, this was very fun last night.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:14:46 AM »
I stopped in the AvA after furballing in the WWI arenas last night and flew there for the first time ever.

At first the players on the German side were all hugging the ack.  That was no fun.  Then they all ganged me 4-5 on one.  That was no fun.  I had a very hard time seeing where any of the enemy planes were without icons.  That was no fun.

I guess some people like it and to each their own but I don't think I'll be back.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »
it was a ball last night. there were planes everywhere, no problem getting into fights. with the ack turned down, you could fly right into it after them if you wanted to. the sound of the shell ripping through your plane material is pretty cool too.

Slash the Evil was whacking em left and right, i was glad he was on my side :) anyway it was a great time

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »
I stopped in the AvA after furballing in the WWI arenas last night and flew there for the first time ever.

At first the players on the German side were all hugging the ack.  That was no fun.  Then they all ganged me 4-5 on one.  That was no fun.  I had a very hard time seeing where any of the enemy planes were without icons.  That was no fun.

I guess some people like it and to each their own but I don't think I'll be back.
Did you fly by yourself or did you wing up?  The AvA is best flown with a wingman rather than the lone-shark MA style.   Try it again but this time, fly with a friend and cover each other's sixes.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:19:32 AM »
I flew alone.  I'm not is a squad or anything (well, I'm in a one man squad :) )
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:22:12 AM »

the reality of the AvA  :lol

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
the reality of the AvA  :lol

actually the AVA has had pretty good numbers almost every night. Most people have  been having fun, although its definitely not for everyone!

At first the players on the German side were all hugging the ack.  That was no fun.  Then they all ganged me 4-5 on one.  That was no fun.  I had a very hard time seeing where any of the enemy planes were without icons.  That was no fun.

give it another try sometime if you can and give it some time. sometimes it takes time to develop a taste for things .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:29:41 AM by captain1ma »

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
actually the AVA has had pretty good numbers almost every night. Most people have  been having fun, although its definitely not for everyone!

give it another try sometime if you can and give it some time. sometimes it takes time to develop a taste for things .

Hmmm, that thing you quoted from me said nothing about numbers did it? 

The AvA always finds a way of bringing in new players.  However, it is done at the expense of the people already there.  You know, the ones that were asked to please go in so that we show some numbers.  However, those guys are pushed away in the hope of bringing in a few new guys.  The numbers do grow like that for a week or two and then they are gone again.  Couple of weeks latter the PMs start to please come in and help until we don;t need you anymore lol.

I hope the numbers stay up since it would give me another arena  to play in.  BS-ing people about what the AvA is about is not going to help though. 
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
Makes me wonder why people post.  :rolleyes:
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 06:14:36 PM »

There was this guy, a virgin, he courted a gal for months, spent alot of money, took alot of time, caused alot of headaches, then finally its "that" night, and as you would expect, it was over in about 11 seconds.  Fortunately for him he did not just give up and go to "the other arenas", and it got better from there.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »

At first the players on the German side were all hugging the ack.   Then they all ganged me 4-5 on one. 
'
So in other words. Its just like the MA only with plane specific sides. LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty