Author Topic: New Damage Model  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
New Damage Model
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
Is there a detailed breakdown of how some of the new aspects of the damage model impact flight performance? Some of the new additions are pretty obvious, such as the aileron/elevator/rudder controls getting shot out keeps your flight controls from working.

How exactly does "Wing Surface," "Aileron Surface," etc. work? I'm assuming "surface" damage reduces the effectiveness of the part, (less responsive ailerons, loss of lift from the wings, etc) but to what degree and in what manner? Is surface damage an intermediate effect between an intact part and the part being gone outright?  Is this damage incremental, or is it all-or-nothing like the other components? Also, what effect will fuselage surface damage have on flight characteristics? Excess drag from the bullet holes?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
Re: New Damage Model
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:44:12 AM »
If the new model just for the ww1 planes for now?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »
I believe so, yes. They're testing it in there before beginning to apply it in the WWII arenas.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
If the new model just for the ww1 planes for now?

WWII planes now have individual damage for the left and right H stab.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
WWII planes now have individual damage for the left and right H stab.
Thank god...  I've always wondered why both fell even if you only hit one.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:29:16 AM »
Ok, but what about the "surface" damage. What exactly is its effect?

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
I think I read somewhere that surface damage would induce drag.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
I think I read somewhere that surface damage would induce drag.

Ok, but is it incremental until the component is shot off entirely, all or nothing? Is that wings as well, or just fuselage? What about the control surfaces (rudder, elevators, ailerons, and I'm assuming that in WW2 the flaps will have it as well)?

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:18:16 PM »
Ok, but is it incremental until the component is shot off entirely, all or nothing? Is that wings as well, or just fuselage? What about the control surfaces (rudder, elevators, ailerons, and I'm assuming that in WW2 the flaps will have it as well)?

Maybe experiment a bit.  Fly some and it will be revealed? 

Or, you could just demand an answer, RIGHT NOW!!1!

:joystick:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »
Maybe experiment a bit.  Fly some and it will be revealed? 

Or, you could just demand an answer, RIGHT NOW!!1!

:joystick:

wrongway

Or he could do the best thing and post a thread asking the developers for the answer.  I'm also curious as to how surface damage will effect flight characteristics.  Flying last night, at least to me, it didn't seem to hinder my plane that had surface damage to the tail and wings, so I too would like to know the answer to Saxman's question.

Is this okay with you or should we ask for your approval to post questions like these?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
Or he could do the best thing and post a thread asking the developers for the answer.  I'm also curious as to how surface damage will effect flight characteristics.  Flying last night, at least to me, it didn't seem to hinder my plane that had surface damage to the tail and wings, so I too would like to know the answer to Saxman's question.

Is this okay with you or should we ask for your approval to post questions like these?

ack-ack

You should ask my approval for anything.   
Need to go to the potty ack-ack?
:devil

Exactly when have the developers ever given anyone a peek at their hand on the boards?  The only time I've seen anything is if you insult them or their work.

I'm just always amused by the "we'll wait to see what HTC says" questions because they never say.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:37:27 PM »

Exactly when have the developers ever given anyone a peek at their hand on the boards? 

When there's a legitimate question on the mechanics of some feature of the game.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 03:10:21 PM »
Alright, put down the purses. :lol

Control system damage causes you the afflicted control to stop responding.  Surface damage will degrade performance of control surfaces and decrease lift and add drag on wings.  However, adding drag to draggy planes that fly at slow speed doesn't have a huge effect.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 03:15:58 PM »
Alright, put down the purses. :lol

Control system damage causes you the afflicted control to stop responding.  Surface damage will degrade performance of control surfaces and decrease lift and add drag on wings.  However, adding drag to draggy planes that fly at slow speed doesn't have a huge effect.

Is the surface damage incremental, then?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »
Thank god...  I've always wondered why both fell even if you only hit one.
Doesthis mean the plane is still flyable if one stab is knocked off?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com