Author Topic: Pacific  (Read 5467 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Pacific
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »
It's HBO guys (may as well be the SS)...and since it's a first run on the series...freebie views are going to be non existent for a while...  :frown:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »

Qualitatively, its a matter of opinion, I suppose.  Although we might as well be chasing our tail discussing who was the "better man;" Hirohito or Hitler.

As a point of order, Hirohito wasn't exactly in control of his government at the time all this was occurring....
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »
As a point of order, Hirohito wasn't exactly in control of his government at the time all this was occurring....

Hirohito was basically under house arrest for the duration of the war.  Comparing him to Hitler misses the point entirely.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 03:49:56 PM »
    The emperor was far from innocent.

~AoM~

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 04:04:11 PM »
Does anyone know where I can stream the first episode online? My Step-dad doesn't have HBO here on the East Coast, I
didn't get to watch it  :(
If you have DirecTv their 101Network is showing 2 Band of Brothers documentaries followed by Episode 1 of The Pacific tonight.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
It's HBO guys (may as well be the SS)...and since it's a first run on the series...freebie views are going to be non existent for a while...  :frown:
Not true, found it on Comcast Fancast, so here you go the full first episode.

http://www.fancast.com/tv/The-Pacific/101664/1424689664/The-Pacific-Part-One-%28HBO%29/videos?cmpid=FCST_hp_xfinitytv
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:15 PM »
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »
    The emperor was far from innocent.

Innocence and culpability is very difficult to discern 70 years in the past.

The fact that the Emperor in question was under a state of house arrest for the duration of the war is not, nor is it in question that he could do little to shape policy during the period in question, and that the militarists were in control of the direction of the country of Japan.

There are far more guilty parties to be found in Japan, 1935-1945, than its' Emperor.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 06:15:30 PM »
The scene last night where the Marines were taking pot shots at the guy in the creek?  Did you feel an ounce of compassion for him?  I didn't.  More importantly; no matter how twittleed up that is; I think the point of that scene was to show that they didnt have much compassion for their own lives either.  Read: inhuman.

I saw that scene different, i think he was disgusted that his squad had failed their mission and the rest had died for the emperor and being a prisoner was unacceptable.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 06:31:17 PM »
I saw that scene different, i think he was disgusted that his squad had failed their mission and the rest had died for the emperor and being a prisoner was unacceptable.
I saw it like he was angry that he was there and it was basically for nothing.

It'd be nice if someone who understands Japanese could tell us what he was saying.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »
It was he Emperor who overrode the Japanese military council in the process of surrender after the Nuclear bombings. Actually, the military council had decided to keep on fighting.
This was broadcasted on radio, where the emperor spoke. Ir was done successfully, but with some luck, since the council was ready to use force to stop it, and if I recall right, there was an armed conflict Jap vs Jap, at the emperor's palace.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »
I saw it like he was angry that he was there and it was basically for nothing.

It'd be nice if someone who understands Japanese could tell us what he was saying.

I saw and understood it like he was upset he failed and the rest of his comrades were killed and he did not meet the same honorable fate.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 07:40:04 PM »
It was he Emperor who overrode the Japanese military council in the process of surrender after the Nuclear bombings. Actually, the military council had decided to keep on fighting.
This was broadcasted on radio, where the emperor spoke. Ir was done successfully, but with some luck, since the council was ready to use force to stop it, and if I recall right, there was an armed conflict Jap vs Jap, at the emperor's palace.

Yeah I remember hearing about that coup attempt. History did a special about how it was partially thwarted by a B-29 raid.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »

Go to http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html

You can watch it there, but you must first register.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »
I saw and understood it like he was upset he failed and the rest of his comrades were killed and he did not meet the same honorable fate.
That's the way I saw it.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.