Author Topic: Wisdom teeth...  (Read 2084 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: Wisdom teeth...
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 01:37:44 AM »
Well, 40 years old now...  Never a cavity or a problem with wisdom teeth...   Hope I didn't just jinx myself...   :bolt:

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 01:39:52 AM »
I just got mine out a few weeks ago, the holes are still healing closed.  I remember getting the IV put in for the anesthetic, and then woke up at home in my bed with a buffet of killer pain pills

You were knocked out for crying out loud?!   LOL, Nitrous and Novacaine only here.   They carve out your jaw or something Bow?   :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 04:05:34 AM »
When I went into boot camp I was 17 and my wisdom teeth hadn't come in yet. The dentist decided to cut out all 4 at the same time. He was going to use, I kid you not, hypnosis instead of anesthesia. Even tho I was a boot and he was an officer I made it REAL clear this was not going to happen. I was assigned to a different dentist in the clinic that not only used plenty of anesthesia during the procedure, he gave me a huge bottle of straight codeine for the recovery with the instructions to take "as needed".

The next day I had to take a First Aid test. I was so wacked out on the codeine I couldn't understand what I was supposed to do. I screwed up to the point that the instructor threw me out of the class. I spent the remainder of that day confined to barracks. Since passing the test was a requirement, I was going to be washed out and sent home. The next day the Petty Officer that was doing the discharge paperwork asked me just how I managed to screw up so badly on a simple First Aid test, I said maybe it was the pain meds and showed him the pill bottle.

"How many of these did you take?"  I told him I couldn't remember but the bottle was more than 1/2 empty. He asked if I had taken any today and I said 2. One before PT and one after chow. He gave me the same First Aid test right then and I aced it. Needless to say, I wasn't washed out but they did take the codeine away from me.  :D
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline SirFrancis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 08:16:35 AM »
guess what...I am a couple of steps of evolution ahead of you guys.

I never dad wisdom teeth. Not even developed...niente, nada!!! :D

Regards
SF
‘CO2…makes the planet greener’

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »
guess what...I am a couple of steps of evolution ahead of you guys.

I never dad wisdom teeth. Not even developed...niente, nada!!! :D

Regards
SF

Guys call mythbusters we have the missing link   :eek:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
I had all four of mine removed ten years ago due to them being horizontally impacted.  They knocked me out for it, but it was still a huge amount of pain after it happened.

The real pleasant thing is every so often, the gum will get all irritated and another little sliver of one of the teeth will work it's way out.  Good times!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »
Well, 40 years old now...  Never a cavity or a problem with wisdom teeth...   Hope I didn't just jinx myself...   :bolt:

Your dentist called.  :neener:

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »
Im 29

I started getting constant earaches, stiff neck, headaches..

went to the dentist for a regular checkup, they did an x-ray since it had been a year since the last..

4 wisdom teeth, all impacted. all need to go..

NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.

I have insurance, but I hear its still kinda expensive.

Offline v1st

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I waited to long so I had to get all 4 done at once.  infected impacted and whatever else.  They gave me the sleepy needle so that wasn't so bad.  I had 2 black eyes for a week.  The bill $2,000.  I had to pay before I got it done.   My insurance covered 250dollars.  that hurt more then the surgery

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »
That insurance musta been a BIG help there huh? That's pretty sad... Not even meeting you halfway! or even quarterway!

Offline SirFrancis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 05:50:09 PM »
I waited to long so I had to get all 4 done at once.  infected impacted and whatever else.  They gave me the sleepy needle so that wasn't so bad.  I had 2 black eyes for a week.  The bill $2,000.  I had to pay before I got it done.   My insurance covered 250dollars.  that hurt more then the surgery

I bet that hurts.

I just asked my wife how much she charges for removing all 4 wisdom teeth (yes, she is a dentist): between $ 110 and $ 330 ...and I guess, that the dentists in Germany are using the same technique and instruments as the dentists in the US.

btw, this is here homepage. She is the one with the white t-shirt

http://www.zahnarztpraxis-eickholt.de/

@ Ruler2: Hopefully you will feel better soon!

Regards
SF
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:24:47 PM by SirFrancis »
‘CO2…makes the planet greener’

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
When I got mine out it was done by the dentist using only novacaine. I was able to eat soon after never even took any pain meds and was prescribed none either. I don't remember exactly how much the bill was since my insurance company picked up the majority of it. I even asked my dentist why he didn't recommend an oral surgeon like my previous dentist did and his reason was.....

"I went to school to be a dentist and pulling teeth is part of being a dentist. Why the hell would I hand the work over to someone else when I am perfectly capable of doing it here?"

Now since he did it and I was (especially from the sounds of the experiences here) largely problem free, I will most likely never see another dentist.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
... it's been over 3 weeks, and my mouth is STILL swollen. I'm getting kinda worried now, I would like to be able to open my mouth as wide as I should be able to. It's still hard to take a bite out of a hamburger for heavens sake!
Not to mention all the crap getting stuck back in the holes and then smelling like crap (literally) that I can't get rid of easily.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »
... it's been over 3 weeks, and my mouth is STILL swollen. I'm getting kinda worried now, I would like to be able to open my mouth as wide as I should be able to. It's still hard to take a bite out of a hamburger for heavens sake!
Not to mention all the crap getting stuck back in the holes and then smelling like crap (literally) that I can't get rid of easily.
Yeah those holes will go away after a few months, but until then yeah your gonna get food stuck in them, thats why you need to brush or at least rinse your mouth out with water after each meal, swish it around in your mouth to get it out.

I don't remember my mouth staying swollen for that long, have you called the dentist & asked him if it's normal?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
I got mine in a couple of years ago, they never bothered me. Went to the dentist and they said,

"$$$$$$$$ I think we should remove your wisdom teeth."

I responded "Why? They do not hurt, nor do they bother me in any way."

He Said "Well they are pretty much growing in straight, but however they are slightly off...*I stared at him*....and we do not want to have it get infected"

I said "Until then no thanks  ;)"
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!