Author Topic: My D.VII work in progress  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
My D.VII work in progress
« on: March 12, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »
Just the base colors and markings (except for the wing undersurfaces). No panels, shading or weathering added yet.

I like the blue, but I'll probably tone the red down a bit. Pops way too much in the arena lighting (doesn't look bad in the skin viewer though).

Doing this one first because its not got the 5-color lozenge pattern on the wing upper surfaces. Looks different.

Markings are based on profiles in Ospreys 'Fokker D VII Aces Part I', profile (and plan view) #20.

Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
Re: My D.VII work in progress
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »
Sweet.  :aok
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »
Been working on the wings today. Not done, but I'm liking how they're coming out.

Now to get started on the panel lines and all the other stuff on the fuselage.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »
Well stop posting pictures and get back to work !!   :neener:

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »
cool I have a model of that skin its supost to be blue on all over exept in front of the cockpit(which is red like you have it) and the rudder(whick is white like you have it) other than that its a good skin!
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:19 AM »
Progress on the fuselage. I have a very good photo I'm working from that shows weathering and faded paint but absolutely zero exhaust stain, so I'm going to go with that. I think it looks better anyway- no matter how I did the stain (and I tried four or five different versions), it just never looked good. Looks much nicer without it. I am, however, going for the dust stained and sun faded look- the current weathering is far from complete. But I have the markings and panels/stitching pretty much where I want them.

EDIT:

This is the main photo I'm working from, aside from the excellent profiles in the Osprey book.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:51:26 AM by Treize69 »

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:34:01 AM »
Closer shot of my 'dirtying' progress so far.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »
Some paint chipping and oil drips on the metal cowling. And I am already redoing that 'landing gear wing', I put a line of chipped paint on the leading edge before I remembered that it's fabric and wouldn't chip.  :(

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »
Might I make a suggestion for the chipping?

I preface this with the fact that I don't know what kind of paint was used, how any actual chipping was manifested, or anything in regards to the real world....

but.....

In this case it looks a "tad" random. Not bad, just random. I might suggest building it up along the "corner" where the front bends and becomes the side. I'd imagine the surface most into the wind (with little streamlining of any kind!) would be the hardest hit.

Logically, I might think the flat front, and the edges just aft of this, would be the most chipped?

Just a suggestion, take it as you wish.  :aok

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »
Might I make a suggestion for the chipping?

I preface this with the fact that I don't know what kind of paint was used, how any actual chipping was manifested, or anything in regards to the real world....

but.....

In this case it looks a "tad" random. Not bad, just random. I might suggest building it up along the "corner" where the front bends and becomes the side. I'd imagine the surface most into the wind (with little streamlining of any kind!) would be the hardest hit.

Logically, I might think the flat front, and the edges just aft of this, would be the most chipped?

Just a suggestion, take it as you wish.  :aok

I tried doing that, but it just looked... wrong. So this incarnation is along panel lines and a few random chips on curved surfaces. Might not end up going with it after all, or might combine the two.

I also tried to add them in areas that had a lot of vibration (like around the prop hub) and where fluids might have soaked in and loosened the paint (like under the oil pan and around the vents) despite the best effort of the ground crew to keep it clean.

Will probably add more along the lines you suggested, but trying to keep from overdoing it, you know what I mean? I don't want it to look like its one hour of engine time away from being thrown on the junk heap- its well used, but also relatively new and well maintained (especially considering it was a former Geschwader commanders plane before he got it handed down to him). Thats part of the reason I'm focusing more on the 'dirty' look than the 'old and worn' look.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »
Guess what? Old computer is completely dead, lost the files for the skin I had so far. Have to start over.

Of course now I learned a few tricks and shortcuts that I didn't have before, so will probably go quicker and come out better than it would have before too. But still annoying.

Also lost all the AH films I'd saved and the short movie I was working on too. :(

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
Yikes. It's happened to me on an occasion or two. Lose a lot of skin work.

Bad news is you lose momentum and motivation to get it done.

Good news is you usually end up with a much better product the second time around!