Author Topic: Firefox 3.6  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Re: Firefox 3.6
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
I don't like Google Chrome's browser because of over simplicity, but perhaps Chrome is the browser for skuzzy?

I love Chrome, except for occasionally it BSOD's my computer when I open a new tab.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2010, 09:45:03 PM »
Thanks for telling me why not to try it!

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 01:07:29 AM »
Thanks for telling me why not to try it!

I haven't had any problems with it on my Windows 7 PC, but I do miss Firefox's NoScript and AdBlock Plus. The Chrome version requires you to left click on the ad, which opens the ad, rather than right click and easily block it without going to the ad's website. Otherwise, it streamlines pretty well with the whole Windows 7 interface. Important note: Your bookmarks are located in a folder to the top left, rather than having a textual drop down box.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
I detest "tabs" in the browser.  For me it is a clumbsy and cumbersome interface.

Tigger, the last time I installed the Sun Java crap, it broke several other applications (including IE, which prevented me from getting Windows updates) I had installed at the time.  Sun may know Solaris, but I will never trust a Windows product from them again.  Yes, they insist on dialing home and popping up a Window, when you least expect it, to tell you about an update.  Yes, another unneccessary background process.
You can shut that crap off, but they still manage to dial home when you are browsing around.

How long has it been since you've installed Java?
You can disable the updates in control panel/java/update then unclick the auto check for updates box
In the advanced tab there are a host of other choices you can make to basically customize it to run the way you want it to run. Including security.

Running with the Firefox addon "noscript" you can set it up to only run on the sites you need it to run on.

Hell mine doesnt even load anything in my proccesses on bootup and will only run on the sites I want it to

I remember a good deal of years ago Java being the PIA you say. I just dont find it to be the case any longer.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »
Dred, just the installation of Java from Sun screwed up IE and both the banking sites I have to deal with at home.  Not my fault they write this crap in Java.

Still have to have IE for the updater.

Having to re-install Windows just to get back to running normally is not fun.  Once you install the Sun Java crap, you cannot un-install it and have a computer that is working like it did before.  At least, that was my experience with it and I will not go through that again.

I do not want to mess with crap like this when I am at home.  I expect my computer to work everytime I turn it on.  If I install something that screws it up, I'll mark it down as "never do that again", re-install the OS and applications, and move on.  I do not waste time trying to find out why it screwed things up, I just want it to work and if it does not work, then it never gets another chance to screw up my computer.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:42:32 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 06:50:21 AM »
Skuzzy - Dred is right.  If you are rendering JS at all under IE without a Sun JRE installed, you're using the MSJVM, which has been out of support status for going on 3 years now.  In short, you're taking the risk that the older,now slightly more obscure Microsoft Java Engine that's currently unsupported won't be exploited.  (Assuming it hasn't already).

Since EVERY Windows system up until 2007 had it installed, it's a pretty big target - that's a bet I wouldn't take.

Do a backup, image your disk as a precaution, make a system restore point, install the newest Java.  I don't know of anyone else who had the same experience that you did - it's most likely that something else you'd ran previously set you up for the crash.  (I know, I know, that never ever happens with Microsoft software....)

A little paranoia is a good thing - but remember, too much just makes you paranoid.  {grin}

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »
Ghastly, if it had not happened on 3 different computers, I would not be worried about it.

The overall problem seems to be when Sun went forward with the new version of Java (whatever the heck the stupid version is now), they dropped backward compatibility with the older version (whatever stupid version that used to be).  Now, if you happen to run into a site (stupid banks/financial institutions) that makes use of the older Java code, it will no longer work.  Worse, it will lockup the computer and require a power-on reset.

I am very well aware of the stupid ills of MS Java.  That is why it is disabled for all but three sites (stupid banks/financial institutions).

Sun may have fixed all the ills, but I am never going to trust it again.  If the stupid banking/financial institutions did not require it, I would rip everything related to Java out my computer.  I really do not care if anyone thinks I am just being paranoid.  I just so hate to work on computer problems when I am at home, I will go to extended lengths to make sure I do not have to.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »
So do you like Microsoft silverlight skuzzy?

:D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »
Never tried it, never will, but I also do not have Flash installed.  How about you?

That just triggered a thought.  You guys may assume I plow around on the Internet when I get home.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  At home I just use my computer for writing software and video/audio editing stuff.

The only time I open a browser is to update the OS, hit the stupid Java laden banks/financial stuff, and when I handle our bulletin board stuff in the mornings.  By the time I get home in the evenings, the last thing I want to see is anything Internet related.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:52:48 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »
Never tried it, never will, but I also do not have Flash installed.  How about you?

That just triggered a thought.  You guys may assume I plow around on the Internet when I get home.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  At home I just use my computer for writing software and video/audio editing stuff.

I was just curious if you've ran into yet and whether or not you think it's a step above Java. 

Personally I think banks would be better off sticking with standard HTML(with some javascript) instead of trying to create anything using Java or silverlight.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »

The only time I open a browser is to update the OS, hit the stupid Java laden banks/financial stuff, and when I handle our bulletin board stuff in the mornings.  By the time I get home in the evenings, the last thing I want to see is anything Internet related.

LOL I can certainly relate to that.

I installed new windows in my daughters room a few years ago which required me to also re frame the opening.
It took my wife 3 years to get me to paint the wall in my daughters room where I installed the new window.

The exterior of my house is getting on due for a new paint job. (Plus Im tired of the color) Im seriously thinking of hiring my nephew to paint it for me.

Back on topic. I havent had any problems with Java in a long long time. But to each their own.
Perhaps you might consider building an elcheapo rig out of spare parts with Java installed and use it just for banking and only for banking/billpaying

Something Im hearing isnt a bad idea anyway for those who surf the net alot or have kids that do.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty