Author Topic: AVA ww1 arena  (Read 5041 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: AVA ww1 arena
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2010, 09:39:53 AM »
You take shots at the AvA every chance you get and then complain about someone daring to give you attitude? Are there certain rules when engaging you in a disagreements I'm not aware of? I get you displeasure with the AvA. It's soured too many people for too long and it may indeed be a lost cause. However a lot of the nonsense we endured/took part in just isn't there and has not been for months. Has it turned a corner? No clue, seems that way but I've been fooled before. What I do know is there are people, new faces, who have taken an interest in the place. The numbers are still low to none but the few times I have got to fly in there lately It's been fun. And this goes back to why "the gloves have come off" or however you want to look at it. If they have something going what is to you or any of the other griefers who throw there 2 cents in AvA threads? If it's bringing a group of guys in there who are enjoying whatever the set ups are then so be it. If it's not for you then why feel the need to try and undermine the thing? I could care less about KOTH for a few reason but I don't feel the need to interject everytime I see a KOTH post in here.

And you comment about not listening to what the customers want is complete bs. That's one thing the AvA Staff may have done too much of. Trying to please everyone with rolling plane sets, war scenarios, "Fightertown" ,historical, non historical,alternate history's, free cake, etc. The guys on the Staff are nothing but receptive to input.

And if your issue is with me, I am only a reserve Staffer and I don't have much to do with the set ups other than some input now and again. Oldman, Soda, Jaeger, Fork, and Fudgums do the heavy lifting.

lol, so you are saying that because a few new faces are there now I have to like it?  Maybe it is fun for them, that does not mean that I cannot post what I don;t like about it.  I post what I don;t like about the MA, EW, WWI, the DA, KOTH also.  That is how it works.  If you don;t like something you make it known and maybe someone agrees and fixes it or don;t agree and does nothing about it.  The difference with the AvA is that if you dislike something about it you are called names and your opinion is discarded.  However, the other arenas have people in them.

The goal of the AvA should not be to do what ever it takes to bring a few new faces in at any cost.  This is what that place has become.  Again, my opinion only and if what you guys are doing is working for you, keep at it. 
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
I never once implied you had to like what's going on there, can't post an opinion, or have I called you names dedalos. (not in this thread :D) I just don't get going out of your way to try and undermine something you do not want to be involved in. And I 100% agree that the goal should not be to do whatever it takes to get numbers.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2010, 11:19:37 AM »
I never once implied you had to like what's going on there, can't post an opinion, or have I called you names dedalos. (not in this thread :D) I just don't get going out of your way to try and undermine something you do not want to be involved in. And I 100% agree that the goal should not be to do whatever it takes to get numbers.

I don;t see how I undermine anything by expressing my opinion.  You really think the people that like it will stop liking it because I said I don't?  I am not going out of my way at all.  The AvA used to be a good place (in my opinion) and I would like it back.  The line to follow in AH in general in "If you don;t like something in the game, shut up!  Only posts saying WTG! are allowed". (not saying you said that).  I just don;t buy in to it.  If I don;t like something I ll tell you.  But I seriously don;t think I am influencing anyone that likes the AvA to stop liking it.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »

I guess I'm just not getting what it is specifically that people don't like about it other than every possible idea that is tried, the people who run it, the people who used to play there etc.

Although most people's intentions are good, without making specific points and being constructive, one can appear to simply be crapping all over something just for the sake of crapping all over something.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »
I guess I'm just not getting what it is specifically that people don't like about it other than every possible idea that is tried, the people who run it, the people who used to play there etc.

Although most people's intentions are good, without making specific points and being constructive, one can appear to simply be crapping all over something just for the sake of crapping all over something.

Give it time young one  ;)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2010, 06:32:01 PM »
Give it time young one  ;)

LOL, probably got you lapped by 10-15 years.

I'll be sure to stay on guard against "AvA problems."
 :salute
jimson

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2010, 09:12:46 AM »
LOL, probably got you lapped by 10-15 years.

I'll be sure to stay on guard against "AvA problems."
 :salute
jimson

:P

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2010, 09:28:05 AM »
    Since the WW1 patch Ive only flown a couple times. Just more important stuff going on atm. As for the icon issue, I prefer icons. I have a squaddie and he just got a huge moniter. He says he now understands why the "go-no-icon" is pushing for it. It makes the difference of seeing a speck or seeing the plane. I have a small moniter so I have no interest in it.

I come here to play, I dont want to strain my eyes anymore than I have to. I see what Ded is saying about the ability to sneak around more without icons. Anything that allows more sneaking Im against.

~AoM~

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »
Well Filth, although there are occasionally people who try to "sneak around" it doesn't work very well if the dot dar is set where it is right now...1000 feet. We have all stated there are obvious limitations...and few of us old guys have perfect vision. Don't be so quick to discount it if you haven't even given it a try...don't be so quick to post your displeasure of past events, because believe it or not even with the new faces around, your opinion does open the door for them to be suspicious and ready to adopt your opinions regardless of what happens...you would be surprised at how often that occurs.

Just from my experiences in the AvA, with the no enemy icon setting and friendlies set to less than 3k...people are more willing to look for a fight and less prone to avoid it...simply due to the fact that every dot is a potential enemy...and if it turns out to be a friendly, that makes it better for you when you do find someone to shoot at. Contrary to the belief that people are more cautious...it has been more aggressive since this new trend started...the ones who are overly cautious get hunted down. Yes you can get picked...yes you might get HO'd...yes it is more difficult to maintain SA...yes you may have to use some settings that you never use in the MA's...but that is part of the challenge and the thrill.

Look at it as something new to try out...you might actually like it.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »
Well Filth, although there are occasionally people who try to "sneak around" it doesn't work very well if the dot dar is set where it is right now...1000 feet.

Realy? you have the map/dar open while in a 3 on 1?

Just from my experiences in the AvA, with the no enemy icon setting and friendlies set to less than 3k...people are more willing to look for a fight and less prone to avoid it...simply due to the fact that every dot is a potential enemy...and if it turns out to be a friendly, that makes it better for you when you do find someone to shoot at.

Yep, easier to gang someone after the frustration of chasing friendlies.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »
hey dedalos, have you flown in there recently?? like within the last week or so?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
hey dedalos, have you flown in there recently?? like within the last week or so?

If I'm using the scores search function correctly, Dedalos has not flown in the AvA during the month of March.  As near as I can tell, the no-icons settings have been in place only since the evening of March 7.

Dudes.  Flying in a no-icons environment surprised me, and as I've mentioned before, I was once very much opposed to the concept.  My talent is such that I am unsuitable for high rank, so I fly for the enjoyment of the fights.  If I like it, it's at least a suggestion that you might enjoy trying it before you trash the idea.

- oldman

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2010, 11:27:29 AM »
Realy? you have the map/dar open while in a 3 on 1?

Yep, easier to gang someone after the frustration of chasing friendlies.
Wow...you really are all about negativity...not trying to be totally offensive but, I'm surprised you find enjoyment out of anything more challenging than blowing your nose...if arcade action in the DA is all you can handle just say so...it's not a big deal.

Yes I have had the map open in a 3 on 1...and I was the 1...I usually find myself out numbered regardless of which arena I'm in...and it's a lot more fun than whining about getting picked, HO'd, ganged, or who did what to whom and how.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »
 :aok  Gyrene81.

That's exactly why I stopped replying to his posts. They're pointless
and imo meant to be simply argumentative for the sake of it.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
If I'm using the scores search function correctly, Dedalos has not flown in the AvA during the month of March.  As near as I can tell, the no-icons settings have been in place only since the evening of March 7.

Hmm, is that supposed to mean something?  You think in 6 or more years I've never flown with no icons?