Author Topic: AVA ww1 arena  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
AVA ww1 arena
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
Hey go check out the AVA arena...... its separated countries like the usual and there are no enemy icons so its real easy to sneak up on people when your low to the ground and you can bug out and hug the the terrain and people will have a hard time finding you. I was in there with strat the other day and we had a blast. You really have to focus on your opponent to see what direction they are heading. If you think the WW1 dueling arena is fun, take out the really easy ganging factor and you have better gameplay. I just hope people will get off the crutch of enemy icons for this type of flying/fighting. <S> see you in there.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: AVA ww1 arena
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:49:21 AM »
Hey go check out the AVA arena...... its separated countries like the usual and there are no enemy icons so its real easy to sneak up on people when your low to the ground and you can bug out and hug the the terrain and people will have a hard time finding you. I was in there with strat the other day and we had a blast. You really have to focus on your opponent to see what direction they are heading. If you think the WW1 dueling arena is fun, take out the really easy ganging factor and you have better gameplay. I just hope people will get off the crutch of enemy icons for this type of flying/fighting. <S> see you in there.

Yeah, the crutch of seeing the enemy is killing this game.  Turn radar off too, it makes it hard to sneak up people undetected and then escape.  Being seen could lead to a fight  :O
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »
Yeah, the crutch of seeing the enemy is killing this game.  Turn radar off too, it makes it hard to sneak up people undetected and then escape.  Being seen could lead to a fight  :O
You should try it before you put your foot so deep in your mouth...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »

I think he's still under some spell cast by that teenage girl up at the Oracle.

The no-enemy-icons and short-range-friendly-icons - which I once implacably opposed - have turned out to produce much more historical player behavior.  It's now easy to get bounced, so you have to spend more time watching for that, gyrating your plane around from time to time to throw off an attacker you haven't yet spotted.  Planes with better camoflage are more difficult to see if they're below you.  You can lose sight of someone you're fighting and not easily pick it up in the corner of your eye by the flash of his red icon.  Voice input from your friends, and finding someone to fly with, take on new importance (granted that these are more related to WWII than WWI). 

As many predicted, and as many continue to point out, it isn't for everyone.  But if you haven't yet tried it, you really should see what it's like.

- oldman

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:40:49 AM »

Well, I am new here.  Give me some time to try things out.  Maybe after 10 years I will get a better perspective :lol 

Now go back and read the post from the guy I quoted describing how it is easier to sneak up on people and then bug out.  I am not here to play hide a seek lol.  But as I said, I am new and confused thinking this game was about fighting.   :lol

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »
Dear Mr. Dedalos,

It is my extreme honor to invite you into the AVA arena for crumpets and tea.  We are very civilized here and would never think of fighting.  That behavior will not be tolerated in here.  You dote you.  There is nothing but fighting in here.  In fact the no enemy Icons make it much more interesting.  It insures you learn SA and take a more active role in insuring your own six is clear.  It is amazing how easy an extra baddie can saddle up on you and take you for a ride.  You like to fight then try it.  NrRaven, Chewe are a couple more friends you would like to meet you in the AVA.  It really a blast.   

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
"The no-enemy-icons and short-range-friendly-icons - which I once implacably opposed -
have turned out to produce much more historical player behavior."

I told you s_.... er. won't say it.  (raspberry noise)

Soon as my scarf comes in I'm airborne! Look forward to trying out the AvA again

Offline *PAPA*

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
 :aok
I agree with the OP...the ww1 dueling arena was kinda boring. Eveyone was on the deck at only 2 to 3k max, and it was just one long congo line between NME bases with everyone just ganging. There was no strategy or tactical elements involved. It wasn't much of a "fight" and not much demo on flying and tactics. I will give ww1  another try in the AVA since he mentioned it.
All Your Base Belong to us.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:23 AM »
Dear Mr. Dedalos,

It is my extreme honor to invite you into the AVA arena for crumpets and tea.  We are very civilized here and would never think of fighting.  That behavior will not be tolerated in here.  You dote you.  There is nothing but fighting in here.  In fact the no enemy Icons make it much more interesting.  It insures you learn SA and take a more active role in insuring your own six is clear.  It is amazing how easy an extra baddie can saddle up on you and take you for a ride.  You like to fight then try it.  NrRaven, Chewe are a couple more friends you would like to meet you in the AVA.  It really a blast.   

lol, I was responding to a specific post  :P  I ll see ya there.  What times you guys in?

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »
Dear Mr. Dedalos, 

WTH?  :headscratch:  :huh

Why, why would you give that tard the honor of a "Mr." in front of his name?  And a "Dear"???? 

Repulsive!  I'm gonna puke!!  :rofl
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Haven't had the chance to fly it this week, but it was very cool with the midway set-up.

Like Oldman said, it's not for everyone, but a lot of players who hadn't been in the AvA in a long time, tried it and were quite excited about it.

A healthy AvA arena won't hurt anyone.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
I'll be back in the AvA as soon as WWI leaves.  Alot have seemed to like it but very few maneuvers can be performed and it's basically a flat turn to the finish.  It's just not for me but the AvA is an awesome place guys I've had some fantastic fun over the past month in there.  No eny icons have been a blast and SA is at up most importance.  I hope this arena starts to fill up and with more regular members we can start expanding the objectives.  GL hope u enjoy  :salute
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Well, I am new here.  Give me some time to try things out.  Maybe after 10 years I will get a better perspective :lol 

Now go back and read the post from the guy I quoted describing how it is easier to sneak up on people and then bug out.  I am not here to play hide a seek lol.  But as I said, I am new and confused thinking this game was about fighting.   :lol

It's about land grabbing.  Fighting is just a part of it.  :old:

But what do I know....... :joystick:
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 12:47:47 PM »
Haven't had the chance to fly it this week, but it was very cool with the midway set-up.
Agreed.

It allowed a P-40B to survive for several minutes as the enemy zekes had to do a visual ID.

The lack of range info also made me take more time on the shots.

One the downside, the no-icon setting seems to favor those with better graphics cards/larger monitors.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »
One the downside, the no-icon setting seems to favor those with better graphics cards/larger monitors.
Larger monitors get a little more advantage...keep in mind the larger monitors are running at higher resolutions...the only way smaller monitors would take a hit is if they are the widescreen units that use high res native settings...but it's no more of an advantage as a difference in the other equipment people use...just a matter of being used to whatever a person has chosen.

And don't mind Wagger, he tries but sometimes the delivery is just a squeak off...not bad for an old Army turd.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:08:17 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett