Author Topic: Unhappy altitude  (Read 970 times)

Offline jazzman1315

• Zinc Member
Unhappy altitude
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »
I've noticed over the course of several months that when flying over the water I die when I get within 80 to 100 ft of the surface. there's no crash, noise, red screen, or any indication, just tower...   There's a message if I am in a fight that so and so so shot me down, but that's hard to swallow since he wasn't firing. It's pretty consistant, especially when I am in a fight, but not always. I save the films and try to analyze what is happening, but it just seems to stop whenever I get to that level. Flight attitude doesn't seem to matter.
It's infuriating since it's hard enough to develop some proficiency in the game and it really takes away a great deal of the fun one might otherwise experience. I don't think I am being shot down or killed by the enemy, (but on the other hand I am pretty much used to getting killed by those one shot wonders that seem to populate every arena.)

I can supply film if anyone cares.
Is this a bug in the game, or am I just that lame that after flying in here for almost 3 1/2 years I still suck???

Sign me Disgusted. 

Offline mantis

• Zinc Member
Re: Unhappy altitude
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:38 AM »
Are you sure they just don't have tracers off

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:56 AM »
As mentioned above , the enemy may have had tracers off. Do you get a killed by message and is that person in the films you save? From his plane, you can jump into his cockpit in the film by clicking on his name in the column at far right, you may see what happened. It may be tough to view your plane though as the film will NOT show an icon for you.
Also remember that at low altitudes, the enemy icons are below the plane and pretty much invisible when flying on the deck at very low altitudes. Personally if I'm rtb I try to fly a few hundred feet above the ground, say 300-400 feet altitude. Low enough to not be on radar but high enough for me to see the enemy icon if there is one behind me. Also another 'trick' to see a low enemy is to do an aileron roll while looking behind you, being careful not to auger, as it will make the enemy icon more visible.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline jazzman1315

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:56 PM »
Thanks for your input. I analyzed the film exhaustively again. The plane that was behind me had his tail shot off by some of my countrymen while I was above 250 ft. My attitude was slightly down, but I was in the process of recovering. At exactly 74 ft the film ends... no noise, ...nothing. The shadow of my plane on the water below still indicates that I have plenty of room to recover.

As I recall from the incident, a message appears after I am in the tower again that I was shot down by XXXX, but that is the guy that was shot by my buddies...

Oh well, it's time to take another breather from the game or I will surely give up this magnificent obsession.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »
Also remember, if that guy had hit you with any rounds and you crash, he will subsequently get the kill as he did damage you. Maybe not to the point where he actually shot you down but he gets credit for the kill opposed to it being a pure no kill proximity kill.

Jazzman, I sent you a PM also.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:11:17 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:55:54 PM »
This sounds to me suspiciously like a computer glitch on your end.  I had one once where every time I flew a bomber over a strat target I would disco as soon as I dropped, usually before the bombs hit.  Off-line everything worked fine and so did every other aspect of the game both on and off-line.

These bugs can be infuriating to try to fix.  I spent over a week on mine and lost something like 67 bombers, almost half of them AR234's to speed my testing, before I got it figured out.  My problem was that I had bound my two LAN ports.  As soon as I unbound them and disabled the second port in the BIOS all was well.

Think back to what you did or might have changed prior to this starting.  If I'm right this is something no one will really be able to help you with.  It's going to be a matter of think back, change one thing and test it.  Think back again, change another thing and test again.

In my case it was helpful to know everything worked off-line which eventually lead me to my communications devices.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:58:41 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:50:40 AM »
Its not possible that since the icon is below the plane at low alt, that there is a bug present that register contact with the ground as the icon touches the ground? I guess its not possible since no one else seem to have this problem..  :headscratch:

TheStig

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Its not possible that since the icon is below the plane at low alt, that there is a bug present that register contact with the ground as the icon touches the ground? I guess its not possible since no one else seem to have this problem..  :headscratch:

icons are below "enemy" aircraft..... thats how they hid GV icons, they are under ground. Friendly icons are above the aircraft.

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »
I recall someone very recently having the same issue (only once) in the TA while I was with him. I would gladly give his name but I really can't remember  :headscratch:. Said he was about the same altitude over the lake when he suddenly popped in the tower. Since you can't get shot down in the TA, the only way to pop in the tower is to end flight from the knee board or to crash with a visual object. Thought I should give a heads up before someone thinks its an isolated incident. No pun intended.
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 07:35:42 AM »
icons are below "enemy" aircraft..... thats how they hid GV icons, they are under ground. Friendly icons are above the aircraft.

Ah, cc.. I did not spend enough time in MA to notice, but when you mention it I know you are right.  :)
TheStig

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 01:03:17 PM »
This is almost certain bug from your end, as you wrote in the beginning of your post that it has been fairly recent. Did it start around the same time as the latest big update?

I did have a similar problem before even the last big update but it was due to frame rates going to crap when i was down low, got worse when more icons where in the area.

Also has your ping got worse, that can have an effect on the "close to water" if u can pull up your ping and framerates from the film this may help,maybe as simple as additional ram to stop the inadvertent self mutilation! :joystick: