Author Topic: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.  (Read 6986 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2010, 08:24:36 PM »
the beloved Tempest was limited to the ground attack role in the real dealfighter in AH.

err ... you might want to check that.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
I find it amusing that the Spit16 was usually designed (and used) for the ground attack role vs the air to air role... and yet it is one fo teh the best air to air fighters of AH.  I bet the ratio of air to air missions for the Spit16 is at minimum 25 to 1 over the air to ground.

The other ironic thing is the beloved Tempest was limited to the ground attack role in the real deal, but yet is the most feared air to air prop fighter in AH.

Tempests were used for 'rat catching' and air to air.  Rat catching was patrolling the 262 bases.  The Spit XIVs and Temps were primarily air to air, although they did do strafing when the opportunity presented itself.

Keep in mind the RAF was running out of air to air targets which is why the Spit IXs and XVIs ended up flying more ground support.  They literally had to find something for the Spit squadrons to do.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2010, 07:06:03 AM »
If you like your plane to get kills for you then yes it is.....just like the F4U.

:devil

Junky just has a fly in his ear at my Spitty's bushwhacking his KI  :devil
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2010, 07:09:45 AM »
Junky just has a fly in his ear at my Spitty's bushwhacking his KI  :devil
lol

-Spektor
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
I find it amusing that the Spit16 was usually designed (and used) for the ground attack role vs the air to air role... and yet it is one fo teh the best air to air fighters of AH.

Yeah, but what about spit LFIXe use? Spit16 is a LFIXe with clipped wings. Only difference is the cloned engine made in America rather than UK. The planes were the same as the F4F/FM1 were, same as the P-51B/P-51C were.

Just so happens they lumped the US engined versions into ground attack. Doesn't mean the LFIXe were shunned as fighters, does it?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »
Yeah, but what about spit LFIXe use? Spit16 is a LFIXe with clipped wings. Only difference is the cloned engine made in America rather than UK. The planes were the same as the F4F/FM1 were, same as the P-51B/P-51C were.

Just so happens they lumped the US engined versions into ground attack. Doesn't mean the LFIXe were shunned as fighters, does it?
By that stage of the war, yes.  It wasn't that the LF.Mk IXe and Mk XVI were not fully air-to-air capable, it was that there weren't enough German aircraft left to warrant using more than the Spit XIVs and Tempests as air-to-air primarily.  The ground attack work was "make-work" to give all those Spitfire squadrons something to do.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2010, 12:59:57 PM »
Yes, but that shouldn't dictate that the XVI was an "attack craft" by design. Smokingloon seemed to be forcing that distinction into his comment.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »
Yes, but that shouldn't dictate that the XVI was an "attack craft" by design. Smokingloon seemed to be forcing that distinction into his comment.
Agreed.  I don't think anybody here is under any illusions that the Spitfire made a great attack aircraft, nor did the design have potential as a development platform for a good attack aircraft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »

The other ironic thing is the beloved Tempest was limited to the ground attack role in the real deal, but yet is the most feared air to air prop fighter in AH.

A well flown corsair or 38 is FAR more fearsome than any tempest! Unless you insist on staying 350mph + and that is just boring :aok

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »
If I could only keep one spit it would be the seafire.

The question I ask the spit haters or haters of any plane(la-7) is, Does the plane win the fight or does the pilot?

Back to the OP Is there a record of kills to loses for the spit 16 that would be intresting to see really for any plane but it seems to pertain to this subject.

X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
Seafire III with clipped wings and cropped Merlin 55M...or a Spit XII
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2010, 04:39:28 PM »
Seafire III with clipped wings and cropped Merlin 55M...or a Spit XII AND Vc.

:devil
See Rule #4