Author Topic: Perk the Spitfires  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Perk the Spitfires
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »
learn to counter them properly, flyboy

Why don't you post a film showing us all how to counter one properly?  I'm sure your experten grasp of basic aerodynamics, you'll be able to show us all how it's done.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »
Ever heard of a lead turn? They work in the vertical just as well as the horizontal.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
lol
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 09:33:44 PM »
fly a few more years mate...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »
I have no idea what youre flying, but in a p38, dive away from spit. in a buff, its all up to the gunner
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »
Why don't you post a film showing us all how to counter one properly?  I'm sure your experten grasp of basic aerodynamics, you'll be able to show us all how it's done.

ack-ack

I'm sure he won't be able to zoom in enough to show us anything worth watching...
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »
I have no idea what youre flying, but in a p38, dive away from spit. in a buff, its all up to the gunner

How is diving countering a Spitfire?  Also, please explain how diving away from a Spitfire Mk VIII, IX, XIV, or XVI is going to save you?  You have to be careful with the P-38's speed in a dive, these Spitfires will be able to keep up with you and will get you as you level out in a dive. Sure, with the built up energy you might be able to keep them out of gun range for a few minutes but eventually they'll catch up and you'll have to fight.

ack-ack

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »
How is diving countering a Spitfire?  Also, please explain how diving away from a Spitfire Mk VIII, IX, XIV, or XVI is going to save you?  You have to be careful with the P-38's speed in a dive, these Spitfires will be able to keep up with you and will get you as you level out in a dive. Sure, with the built up energy you might be able to keep them out of gun range for a few minutes but eventually they'll catch up and you'll have to fight.

ack-ack

Spitfire is not the best at high speed (not talking about XIV), therefor in planes such as P-51, Tiffy, temp, 190D, 109K, or F4U-4 you should be able to get away if not starting at low speed. Then thous other slower airplanes are capable of out turning a spitfire and winning that way. Spitfire can do everything, but it's not the best at anything. So as long as the other pilot does what did aircraft is best at, he should win. Plus it's not the airplane, it's the pilot that matters.
I would call it the best, but I would not say that it should be perked (well...maybe XVI).
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 12:52:58 AM »
Spitfire is not the best at high speed (not talking about XIV), therefor in planes such as P-51, Tiffy, temp, 190D, 109K, or F4U-4 you should be able to get away if not starting at low speed. Then thous other slower airplanes are capable of out turning a spitfire and winning that way. Spitfire can do everything, but it's not the best at anything. So as long as the other pilot does what did aircraft is best at, he should win. Plus it's not the airplane, it's the pilot that matters.
I would call it the best, but I would not say that it should be perked (well...maybe XVI).

I wasn't referring to any other plane besides the P-38.  The only Spitfires the P-38 can easily out dive and escape from are the Mk I, V and Seafire.  Let me make myself a little more clearer, the P-38 can out dive any of the Spitfires, however, 95% of those flying the P-38 will enter into compressability and auger because they couldn't pull out of the dive due to their high speed.  So diving away isn't really the best escape from a Spitfire unless you know what you're doing and as we all know, 95% of those that fly the P-38 couldn't turn on the 2nd engine if it wasn't for the auto-start up.

ack-ack

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 04:06:40 AM »
I wasn't referring to any other plane besides the P-38.  The only Spitfires the P-38 can easily out dive and escape from are the Mk I, V and Seafire.  Let me make myself a little more clearer, the P-38 can out dive any of the Spitfires, however, 95% of those flying the P-38 will enter into compressability and auger because they couldn't pull out of the dive due to their high speed.  So diving away isn't really the best escape from a Spitfire unless you know what you're doing and as we all know, 95% of those that fly the P-38 couldn't turn on the 2nd engine if it wasn't for the auto-start up.

ack-ack
the p38 has dive flaps ya know
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 06:23:26 AM »
you don't want to go there young man  :old:
Lighten up Francis

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 09:28:11 AM »

ack-ack

I see your point.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »

In case you haven't figured it out kiddo, the Lightning is the only plane I fly.  I've been flying the P-38 in online sims since probably before you were born.  Having said that, as I mentioned previously, diving away is not a good counter to use against a Spitfire.  In fact, it's not a counter at all but rather an escape attempt.  The reason why I said "attempt" is that's all it will end up being. 

ack-ack

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 12:20:34 PM »
whats your tag  online? and who do ya fly for? ill make it a point to go after ya in a spit and see how long you last.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
whats your tag  online? and who do ya fly for? ill make it a point to go after ya in a spit and see how long you last.

:huh  :O   :rofl  :rofl   :aok

He'll last a lot longer than you will.

:rofl  :rofl  :rofl

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54