Author Topic: WWI No icon areana  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
WWI No icon areana
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »
With every one complaining about getting horded in the WWI arena I wish for one of the 4 WWI areans to be set up

No Icon WWI arena
Not to be confused with the Axis V allies arena.
As Axis V allies or The central powers V Allied Powers ONLY 2 country's
for the guys that do like it.

There are 3-4 WWI arenas already.

This way the hording is greatly reduced wile game play is enhanced.
As a WWI buff shooting at A D7 wile I'm flying one kills the fun.

If I'm in a Camel I don't want to be shooting at a camel.

Each air craft has its own attributes and weaknesses flying opposing aircraft allows tactics to be used to take advantage of the attributes of a particular aircraft wile exploiting the other aircrafts weaknesses. kind of how it was in WWI. and WW2 for that matter.

Besides that the imagery of the WWI paint schemes and AC design should be allowed to show though with out being diluted with immersion killing icons. .

A NO icon WWI arena would be allot of fun.

The bases are close lending themselves to the perfect no icon environment, for those that would be up to the challenge.

With 4 arenas it cant hurt to set one up like that. Perhaps just keeping short friendly icons to help with the team work.

I hope HTC would consider this option to add immersion to there great WWI add on.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:00:14 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
Re: WWI No icon areana
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:54:19 PM »
I vote no
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 02:02:21 PM »
I vote no

Why ???  There would be 3 other areanas that you can fly in.... Why be an obstical.  Just dont fly in there. :salute

Saadi

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »
AvA?  Right now?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »
Yes please :)

I often fly with friendly icons only already.

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:29:49 PM »
Interestingly, when I went into the AvA, I was told to "keep it low".  It was the same 200 ft furball between adjacent fields (over water, so not even trees) as in the other arenas, but with fewer people.  No appreciable difference.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
I like the idea, Raven, but there is one point I should make out. Majority of people are flying the Fokkers. Few people will join the side with the Camel and F2B, either because the aircraft dont handle the way they like it, or because they dont know how to fly it. So if anything, we'll just see a massive horde of Fokkers flying around, waiting for that lonely Camel to up from the base and die with honor.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 02:44:14 PM »
I like the idea, Raven, but there is one point I should make out. Majority of people are flying the Fokkers. Few people will join the side with the Camel and F2B, either because the aircraft dont handle the way they like it, or because they dont know how to fly it. So if anything, we'll just see a massive horde of Fokkers flying around, waiting for that lonely Camel to up from the base and die with honor.
On this note I would rather see the SE5a, the Spad XIII, Neuport 17, DVa, and Phaltz III added to the game :) then a no icon arena, since the AvA is already doing the no icon thing.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 03:28:30 PM »
 :cheers: Plazus
Well I here that but I think there will always be a group that will fly the camel the spads the Neuport as they get added in. The thing is the crowed that chooses to fly the no icons tends to be a bit more experienced and mature. I for one if sides were uneven would fly a aircraft that i did not normally fly for the sake of balance .I think that would hold true across the boared most are rather mature individuals.

Also I'm sure there will be more aircraft added in as time passes.

That said
Just as many understand that spit 16 handles great, there are many that wont fly them based on principle alone.
 If your picking up what I'm putting down.

There are allot that like a challenge.
 I would think based on charactor alone, if the camel is hard to fly there will be a group that will fly it.

Personally like to jump on the side with  less players... I like to be out numbered... because I have more targets to shoot at.. But that's just me.

On this note I would rather see the SE5a, the Spad XIII, Neuport 17, DVa, and Phaltz III added to the game :) then a no icon arena, since the AvA is already doing the no icon thing.

:salute Boxboy  I dont think HTC would begin the WWI with out plans to add more aircraft... they will come.

The AVA arena is not a "WWI" arena.... they ran WWI plane set for a week that's all.
 and my post is not to be confused with the AvA arena in anyway at all

What I am saying just to clarify is that I think  simply changing the settings of one out of the 4 arenas isn't that big of an issue.

The arena would simply be for those wanting to do it.

This would not effect the other WWI areans.

Simply another choice.. some like vanilla, some like chocolate, some like both.  Changing the settings in 1 out of four arenas satisfies everybody.

Just as you don't want to be forced to fly with out icons, I don't want to be forced to fly with them.

I'm simply looking for a choice for the WWI venue.

Not the sim as a whole.

I wouldn't be so sanctimonious to suggest that the whole sim be converted and force my preferences on everybody.
 That would be totally unfair, and against the spirit of diversity and balance
 :salute
 RaVe
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:34:40 PM by Nr_RaVeN »

Saadi

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »
For what ever reason, German stuff is seen as "cool" to a lot of the flight sim community and consequently seems to be Teflon to accusations of dweebiness that the British, Japanese, Russian and American aircraft are often stuck with, more or less in the order I listed.

Second, having seen the AvA back in its heyday, I have no confidence at all in the idea that enough players would change sides to make it an actual fight.  I well remember 5-7 Japanese players in A6M2s against 20+ American players in vastly superior F4U-1s.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 07:06:56 AM »
For what ever reason, German stuff is seen as "cool" to a lot of the flight sim community and consequently seems to be Teflon to accusations of dweebiness that the British, Japanese, Russian and American aircraft are often stuck with, more or less in the order I listed.

Second, having seen the AvA back in its heyday, I have no confidence at all in the idea that enough players would change sides to make it an actual fight.  I well remember 5-7 Japanese players in A6M2s against 20+ American players in vastly superior F4U-1s.
Well those 20 + are fools leaving themselves with no targets to shoot at

The no icon crowed tends to "even up" the sides as the concept of No icons in of it self draws the player looking for a quality experience. The "air quake"
 mentality generally doesn't exist.
Thinking ahead there will be more aircraft to choose from. Be confident.  :cheers:

Saadi

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Heheh the age old tactic of somehow making my position more "mature, real, skilled, etc etc", I just don't buy it.  The fact that most folks perfer the icons in NO way (IMHO) makes them airquakers.  Most have played this game for the action and anything that takes away from action (i.e consumes more time to get to action) is viewed as an annoyance.  Icons and radar are simply in the game to make for quicker action, and since at the moment there is NO strat in WWI a no icon arena would simply illiminate one useful arena to accomodate a small number of guys that believe no icons makes them somehow better players than the rest.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline CGAR

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »
+1 Think its a very creative and easy way to give more to a game that really limits what we as players can enjoy.  If indeed no icons brings the more serious players together then why not give it a go.  The sides and aircraft choices need to be balanced so that one side does not over play the other, but in all with 4 arenas and only one being used most of the time no since in letting the others just rot.  :headscratch:

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
+1 Think its a very creative and easy way to give more to a game that really limits what we as players can enjoy.  If indeed no icons brings the more serious players together then why not give it a go.  The sides and aircraft choices need to be balanced so that one side does not over play the other, but in all with 4 arenas and only one being used most of the time no since in letting the others just rot.  :headscratch:
LOL define "more serious players" if you mean guys that want a surprise advantage over others and are willing spend copious amounts of time to gain that advantage, then perhaps your right.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot