Author Topic: Too much instablity in WW2 planes w/ part of wing missing after patches.  (Read 2165 times)

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
Hi all!

Before new patches, in WW2 planes, when I had part of a wing missing, I was able to RTB, with difficulty, using manual trim  and flying the planes as well as I could.

Now itīs nearly impossible to control them with part of wing missing, using the above.

Once planes lose part of a wing, after the patches, they become too much unstable, to a point that no trim can help.

Was this done on purpose or is it a glitch?

Next time it happens will make a movie and post.

:salute

Mutley
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Sounds to me like they fixed the FM.  I've noticed some small differences in the way some planes handle now compared to before.  It should be really difficult to fly with "part" of any major structure of a plane missing, wouldn't you say?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
Please re-read what I said.

I said "...I was able to RTB, with difficulty, using manual trim  and flying the planes as well as I could..."

Now the planes are too much unstable with part of wing missing.

This is not be the case in real life. If it were so, many wouldnīt have made it home.

Please check this picture of a P-47, used by Brazilian Air Force, In WW2 in Italy. Plane hit a factory chimney doing ground attack, lost part of wing and RTB.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/damopabe/2772784512/

That is why am asking if this was done on purpose.

Mutley  :salute

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:53:07 AM by MutleyBR »

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:52:09 PM by Shamus »
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
but notice in the picture he still has his ailerons. your trim tabs are on your ailerons, elevators, and rudder. without a aileron there is no trim tab; which would keep you from flying.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
but notice in the picture he still has his ailerons. your trim tabs are on your ailerons, elevators, and rudder. without a aileron there is no trim tab; which would keep you from flying.

And who said loss of aileron???

I said "part of a wing missing"...

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
But in the game, the "part" of the wing that is "missing" is the wingtip, right?  The aileron is on the wingtip?  Can you actually lose part of your wing and not lose the aileron (and thus the trim tab on it)?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
thats what i was tryin to say
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
We don't have the P-47A6...and did you lose just 50 inches off the tip of the wing on the P-47 you were flying or was it 1/2 of the wing?

Regardless of the fact that the pilot in that picture returned "safely", I'm willing to bet your paycheck it wasn't "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
I think what he's asking is simply did they change the handling of the planes with damage? If so was it recorded in the release notes?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
I think what he's asking is simply did they change the handling of the planes with damage? If so was it recorded in the release notes?
From what I've experienced...looks like they changed a lot with the handling of damaged planes...of course at this stage there are probably still some tweaks needed but the new damage model is tougher to deal with.
jarhed  

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
We don't have the P-47A6...and did you lose just 50 inches off the tip of the wing on the P-47 you were flying or was it 1/2 of the wing?

Regardless of the fact that the pilot in that picture returned "safely", I'm willing to bet your paycheck it wasn't "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Why do I have to keep asking people to re-read the post??? :rolleyes:

I did not employ the word "easy"... Where did you get that???  :rolleyes:

I said "with difficulty". My home language is not English, but I believe that "difficult" is the opposite of easy. Or am I wrong?

And yes, we have P-47, with Brazilian markings in AH...

Please read carefully, before answering... :aok

Mutley  :salute

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
And yes, we have P-47, with Brazilian markings in AH...
Still not a P-47A6...  :D

Ok so "not easy"...what you might want to do next time it happens is look at how much of the wing is missing...I don't know if each plane is different but, I don't recall seeing a wing tip getting shot off on anything I've used in game...it's pretty much 50% or 100%...and with the new damage model, control is going to be very difficult when parts start getting shot off...hopefully we wont see any more Spit16s or Temps fighting with 1/2 a wing.
jarhed  

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Didn't see anything about the new damage model being implemented in WW2 in the release notes.
Don't know if the instability of the WW2 planes damaged has been tweaked. I didn't see anything in the release notes about that either. So it could be an issue or not. Until someone from HTC says one way or another I guess we wont really know.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
38s loose a wing tip often... well mine do, and it is very hard to see the difference, but you certainly can feel it. Murdr had a picture post once and you could see it, but only because they were side by side.

As for the OP I think the only "damage" change they made in WWII is Horizontal stabilizers can now be destroyed independently of each other. I don't often get the chance to limp home in a damaged plane. If I took that kind of damage the other 7 bad guys are certainly going to finish me off before long  :D