Author Topic: Wow...just...Wow  (Read 728 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Wow...just...Wow
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »
This lady has something on her side

Truck pushing a car. very lucky for all involved..News article with a video clip of the incident
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10633016

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: Wow...just...Wow
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:24:46 PM »
Didnt see her, lol BS , ive driven COE's and Conventional's, Conventionals are more difficult to see over the nose than a COE, and still you'd have to be blind/Deaf not to see or hear anything, there had to of been some type of impact you just dont turn a sharp 90 and start your slide for life, she was one lucky lady
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »
Anyone who says that driver didn't see the car or didn't realize he had hit it is a blazing liar...she probably cut him off and he decided to "give her a ride".
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:34:16 PM »
He probably sped up to keep her from changing lanes in front of him, and clipped her just right to rotate her car in front of the truck.  He'd have had to keep on the gas to keep the car pinned there though, which is why I think he was intentionally trying to keep her from changing lanes and pressed in too fast too close when she changed lanes anyhow.  It was raining (typical UK) so she may not have been able to judge his overtake rate or see that he was intentionally setting her up for the collision if she changed lanes.

Lots of aggressive drivers like that in TX, usually driving huge SUVs.  I recently had one punch it up to about 90 to close a 2000 ft gap between his SUV and a large commercial truck, just so I couldn't merge onto the freeway between the truck and his car.  I had nowhere to go so I put on my blinker and merged right behind the big truck, ensuring that if the SUV hit me he'd hit the rear of my bumper instead of the side.  The SUV nearly drove off the road aborting his suicidal charge to close the gap, but if he'd decided to ram me instead it might have ended up looking a lot like that video.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:28:53 PM »
He probably sped up to keep her from changing lanes in front of him, and clipped her just right to rotate her car in front of the truck. He'd have had to keep on the gas to keep the car pinned there though, which is why I think he was intentionally trying to keep her from changing lanes and pressed in too fast too close when she changed lanes anyhow.  It was raining (typical UK) so she may not have been able to judge his overtake rate or see that he was intentionally setting her up for the collision if she changed lanes.

Lots of aggressive drivers like that in TX, usually driving huge SUVs.  I recently had one punch it up to about 90 to close a 2000 ft gap between his SUV and a large commercial truck, just so I couldn't merge onto the freeway between the truck and his car.  I had nowhere to go so I put on my blinker and merged right behind the big truck, ensuring that if the SUV hit me he'd hit the rear of my bumper instead of the side.  The SUV nearly drove off the road aborting his suicidal charge to close the gap, but if he'd decided to ram me instead it might have ended up looking a lot like that video.

Exactly what I was thinking

Also I agree with eagl on TX drivers (I work in Houston)...when I am driving back home on 59 there is a split, left two lanes head towards downtown, the 3 right lanes heads towards I45. Since no one goes downtown at 5:30 the left two lanes are almost always flowing at posted speeds, the right 3 lanes are always backed up with traffic. The last on-ramp to 59 before the split is about 3 miles before, so theres no excuse for trying to cause a wreck by forcing yourself into gridlock traffic right before the split, we all waited so can you. Alot of the times you have impaitent drivers who use the left two lanes to go all the way up to the split and force their way in at the last second, since the right three lanes are always gridlocked at this point the drivers trying to merge have to stop in the middle of the two left lanes to wait for an opening, sometimes causing wrecks in doing so. (Also by this point in the split there are double yellow lines...so merging is technically illegal)

Luckly the Houston Police caught on...if you travel the same route about 3 days out of the work week there are 3 squad cars right behind the split waiting for cars to force their way in...and they do stop them.

I love justice  :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:41:16 PM by Flipperk »
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:32:22 PM »
He probably sped up to keep her from changing lanes in front of him, and clipped her just right to rotate her car in front of the truck.  He'd have had to keep on the gas to keep the car pinned there though, which is why I think he was intentionally trying to keep her from changing lanes and pressed in too fast too close when she changed lanes anyhow.  It was raining (typical UK) so she may not have been able to judge his overtake rate or see that he was intentionally setting her up for the collision if she changed lanes.

Lots of aggressive drivers like that in TX, usually driving huge SUVs.  I recently had one punch it up to about 90 to close a 2000 ft gap between his SUV and a large commercial truck, just so I couldn't merge onto the freeway between the truck and his car.  I had nowhere to go so I put on my blinker and merged right behind the big truck, ensuring that if the SUV hit me he'd hit the rear of my bumper instead of the side.  The SUV nearly drove off the road aborting his suicidal charge to close the gap, but if he'd decided to ram me instead it might have ended up looking a lot like that video.

So you showed him by cutting in.... sounds like your an agressive driver. If he had of hit you... you probably would be at fault. You are supposed to safely merge.

I know many accidents involving 18 wheelers are cause by the 4 wheelers zipping in and out of their safe distance zones.

Guess it all boils down to how much you think of yourself and your passengers.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
um shuffler... you didn't read my post.  I was already merging, right behind the semi with a whole crapload of space between the semi and this suv, and he floored it up to a very very high rate of speed to try to force me off the road by closing this huge break in traffic I was merging into.  There was nowhere for me to go (except into a ditch or into a guardrail) since I had already accelerated to match the speed of traffic so I could safely merge without making anyone jam on the brakes.

If he'd rammed me and I had my kids in the car, I would have made a serious attempt to beat him to death.  No kidding, he was attempting vehicular assault and thought twice about it right before he rammed me.  If that's your idea of road justice, trying to use an SUV 20 mph over the posted speed limit to ram sedans off the road at the end of merge lanes (it sounds like it is), you're a danger to yourself and everyone around you.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:38:45 PM »
For some reason, people think that if you drive a Suburban, you can act like a Juggernaut!  I'm a passenger in a sedan, and those goliaths don't pay attention in the parking lot.  Seriously; at soccer practice I see a freakin' Escalade picking only one kid up, and this year a Suburban is picking up, you guessed it, one kid.  I'm no engineer, but the way I see it, the system is grossly inefficient. 

Whenever I go by a church that's having mass/50+ person gathering of any sort, 60-70% of the vehicles there are Deathstar size.  Why?  Why are 5-person parties coming in 8 person vehicles?  It makes no sense.  I see a brand new Suburban (you can tell by the softer lines) with only two kids in the backitty-back (yes, I call it that, don't judge me  :lol), and nobody else but a driver. 

Can you guys clue me in on this?  I mean if there are so many work-trucks and grotesquely immense SUV's, there must be some sort of massive combination of huge work and large families happening.  But no, average family size has dropped over the years (birth control FTW!), and more American's are going into white-collar jobs.  Go figure.

-Penguin

Offline Larokkit

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »
I think one reason people drive the huge vehicle is safety . In a collision mass wins. Ive seen it proven hundreds of times. Also think the bad driving is alot mob mentality...most big cities have aggressive drivers.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »
Not really, nobody 'wins' in a collision, just like nobody 'wins' in a headbutt.  Also, with that truck frame, crumple zones misalligned with the other cars (think of tissue smacking tissue vs tissue smacking brick), high center of gravity, and a 30-40 foot longer stopping distance, you pay a lot for more mass.

You also forget, you're not always hitting a smartcar; what if you hit another Suburban?  When that happens, the combined kintetic energy of the monsters causes them to take much more damage than cars that were about the same weight as each other.

Not only that, but SUV's are a heck of a lot tougher to maneuver, which makes a crash more likely.  The perceived safety of a large frame is hardwired into our brains.  In fact, the high hip point causes us to feel dominant, as we are looking down on many other vehicles.  This means that we will be more aggressive, leading to the conclusion that increased perceived safety diminishes actual safety.

Think of it this way: if I told you that I had coated your car with nitroglycerin (explodes upon rough handling), you would drive very carefully, and have a low chance of an accident.  You would do that even if it wasn't true, if you believe what I was saying.  However, if I said that I had given your car energy shields and that you were truly invincible, you would drive like a derranged maniac, killing many other drivers.  You'd find out the hard way however, that that wasn't true, and you end up rolled over bleeding out in a ditch.

This is rather extreme, but it serves to prove a point: the safer you feel, the more risks you take; the less safe you feel, the fewer risks you take.

-Penguin

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08:47 PM »
He probably sped up to keep her from changing lanes in front of him, and clipped her just right to rotate her car in front of the truck.  He'd have had to keep on the gas to keep the car pinned there though, which is why I think he was intentionally trying to keep her from changing lanes and pressed in too fast too close when she changed lanes anyhow.  It was raining (typical UK) so she may not have been able to judge his overtake rate or see that he was intentionally setting her up for the collision if she changed lanes.

Lots of aggressive drivers like that in TX, usually driving huge SUVs.  I recently had one punch it up to about 90 to close a 2000 ft gap between his SUV and a large commercial truck, just so I couldn't merge onto the freeway between the truck and his car.  I had nowhere to go so I put on my blinker and merged right behind the big truck, ensuring that if the SUV hit me he'd hit the rear of my bumper instead of the side.  The SUV nearly drove off the road aborting his suicidal charge to close the gap, but if he'd decided to ram me instead it might have ended up looking a lot like that video.

oi'd more than likely think she mis-judged his speed, and cut in too close on him.

as for merging....i just had someone try that crap with me the other day. they backed off.

i drive one of 2 things. either a nice and fast car..they can't do that to me, because of the acceleration.....or a raving POS.......they don't dare screw with a pos.
 i was in my caraven.........no one in anything remotley nice wants a game of chicken against a dirty, dented carava.  :aok :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »
Thing about drivin a small car and gettin hit is .. they bounce.

Big vehicle just shudders a little... and usually totals the small one.
I mean .. my Durango ..sheesh .. I had to replace the license plate frame when the lady in the Toyota, watchin the jogger on the sidewalk, didn't see me stop behind the car in front of me, ..she totalled her Toyota on my trailer hitch.
That hitch was purty solid.. took the cylinder head off her 4 banger, along with the hood, smashed the windshield . .
..her car was toast.

I saw her comin in the rear view, just held the brakes hard hopin it wasnt gonna be enough of a hit to put me into the car in front of us ..I don't think the Durango even moved.

-GE aka Frank (Durango kilt two Toyota's ..both from idiots runnin into it.. 3 more and it would have been an Ace)
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »
For some reason, people think that if you drive a Suburban, you can act like a Juggernaut!  I'm a passenger in a sedan, and those goliaths don't pay attention in the parking lot.  Seriously; at soccer practice I see a freakin' Escalade picking only one kid up, and this year a Suburban is picking up, you guessed it, one kid.  I'm no engineer, but the way I see it, the system is grossly inefficient. 

Whenever I go by a church that's having mass/50+ person gathering of any sort, 60-70% of the vehicles there are Deathstar size.  Why?  Why are 5-person parties coming in 8 person vehicles?  It makes no sense.  I see a brand new Suburban (you can tell by the softer lines) with only two kids in the backitty-back (yes, I call it that, don't judge me  :lol), and nobody else but a driver. 

Can you guys clue me in on this?  I mean if there are so many work-trucks and grotesquely immense SUV's, there must be some sort of massive combination of huge work and large families happening.  But no, average family size has dropped over the years (birth control FTW!), and more American's are going into white-collar jobs.  Go figure.

-Penguin

actually, it's not lack of attention.

most of those large suv's are driven by women that have no place driving something that big.

by that, i don't mean that i think women shouldn't drive them. i know plenty that're more than capable.

what i mean, is that most of the women in them are used to cars like hondas and toyotas.....then their husbands go out and buy them these monstrosities......and they've no clue how much heavier, or more dangerous they are.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »
actually, it's not lack of attention.

most of those large suv's are driven by women that have no place driving something that big.

by that, i don't mean that i think women shouldn't drive them. i know plenty that're more than capable.

what i mean, is that most of the women in them are used to cars like hondas and toyotas.....then their husbands go out and buy them these monstrosities......and they've no clue how much heavier, or more dangerous they are.
When my sister had her first little one, she went from driving a BMW Z-3 to driving an Infinity Q56 that her hubby bought for her. In the first year she hit 2 cars in parking lots and 1 at a light. Basically just not used to the size of it as compared to the much smaller Beemer.
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 08:54:13 AM »
I think one reason people drive the huge vehicle is safety . In a collision mass wins. Ive seen it proven hundreds of times. Also think the bad driving is alot mob mentality...most big cities have aggressive drivers.

those suv's are among the most dangerous vehicles on the road.

CG............
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"