Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7089 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 06:08:17 AM »
Whoa, look at the comments on that AOL link, LOL.
Anyway, prior to the eruption, there were between 500 and 1.000 small earthquakes for each 24 hours.
This volcano was rather expected to pop, and so are 2 others nearby.
And....c'est la vie.
BTW, I am on an evacuation list due to a possible flood-wave. But they're sending me only half a mile. So, a tad tempting to stay home anyway :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »
Anyway, prior to the eruption, there were between 500 and 1.000 small earthquakes for each 24 hours.
This volcano was rather expected to pop, and so are 2 others nearby.
And....c'est la vie.
BTW, I am on an evacuation list due to a possible flood-wave. But they're sending me only half a mile. So, a tad tempting to stay home anyway :D

According to some of the comments on AOHELL, God must hate Iceland.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 01:20:47 PM »

I did, and I can only say: OH   MY  GOD (pun intended  :lol)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
Yeah those comments are hilarious.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »
Is obama testing the old bush earthquake machine???  :O Someone should tell him iran is in a different part of the globe.....  :neener:

<Sarcasm alert (tm)> the above is indeed sarcasm and is not intended to be a serious post. Anyone who thinks it is a serious post should immediately fly to Timbuktu and search for a life. <end of sarcasm alert(tm)>
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:54:22 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »
You are a good egg Angus! :salute

I hope that volcano doesn't go postal on you and you and your friends will be safe.

Thoughts and prayers for the people of Iceland.

ROX

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »
Errant volcanoes are the price you Icelanders have to pay for all that free thermal heating, Angus.

Take care, amigo, all the best.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »
Angus, wasn't there a town in Iceland that managed to save their homes from a lava flow by continuously hosing it down with cold sea water?

stand corrected, it was on the island of Heimaey in 1973.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Make sure everyone has some sort of a dust mask handy, just in case.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 12:24:22 AM »
I couldn't help but read through all the coments on the AOL article, it was just like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Hope all is well Angus
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 12:35:20 AM »
Holy CRAP sir,

always better safe than sorry, in the end you can't take it back if it don't go well.

Maybe it's time to go get a hotel some 500 miles away with internet access and hook up AH there.
get some pizzas and beer and a few good cigars and wait it out.

Hope you, your family and friends are well Angus

that is all
        froger
frogs are people too

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 03:48:23 AM »
Angus, wasn't there a town in Iceland that managed to save their homes from a lava flow by continuously hosing it down with cold sea water?

stand corrected, it was on the island of Heimaey in 1973.

(Image removed from quote.)

ack-ack

Nice picture finding.
This is actually not far from me, I can see it out the window, It was also my home port in my short life as a fisherman and a ship's cook :D
The islanders evacuated in a whiff, then some of them and many others returned later to fight the fires and the lava-flow with sea-water. The US-Navy generously lent several high-power pumps for the job.
The fight was succesful, a good part of the town was saved, and the lavaflow was stopped before it managed to close the port. Now the port is even better than before (it is actually a very good port), sheltered by the lava wall.

Our eruption is increasing gradually, and some hill is building up in the ambition of becoming a mountain. Lava is starting to flow down some ravines nearby.
The last eruption in this area took some 2 years, and ended up by triggering the bad neighbour. Our concern there would the massive amount of ashes scattered over a large area, - no way of telling where, since it all depends on the wind direction.
They will reduce or destroy crops, and poison drinking water, so the farmers have a heavy fight on their hands. Oddly enough, there are no precautions there in the routine (such as extra supplies of harvest). There might be a desperate last-minute boost in feed production this summer, at least if I have it my way, just forwarded my concern to the main sources......
New pic here:
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 08:58:37 AM »
Some video. It's a total tourist eruption so far ;)
http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2010/03/25/likt_og_kvikni_i_isnum/

Yesterday, I could see the spurts of lava as well as the lava-fall through the kitchen window.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 02:00:37 AM »
And on she goes.
Lava has now properly entered a ravine/canyon and is flowing on gracefully: