Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7086 times)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 04:04:41 AM »
Thats gotta be weird, having an eruption under a glacier, guess it takes a while to even know if it's erupted until it melts the ice above it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 05:12:29 AM »
You'd be surprized about how fast it goes. By now the smoke is up to 22.000 feet, and a crater-hole somewhere between 200-500 metres wide is measureable. (The coast guard has some night vision equipment to see through the clouds from their aircraft).
We did have our "tourist" eruption with minimal risk, but here is something more real at work.
It's in the middle of the glacier, so it is going to look quite dashing when the clouds clear.
Water levels are now rising very fast.
Here is the mountain info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull
A link to our page with a picture of the glacier on the top. This is what it looks like from where I live:
http://www.gardsauki.is/eng/galerie_eng.html

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 05:40:47 AM »

Looks beautiful. Will be ugly...afterwards...
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 08:12:51 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks beautiful. Will be ugly...afterwards...
Oh yeah, definitely some beautiful sheep there, just keep the Bish away from them. :D
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2010, 11:22:48 AM »
Your sheep are belong to us :devil
Anyway, it's a decent eruption with some flood of molten ice ,- that is dirty water, - making it's way to the sea over anything in it's way. However, it could be worse.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »
And ain't it great to know that something like a quarter of the Western Lower 48 is sitting right smack on top of one of the biggest frelling time bombs in the world? If Yellowstone were to ever go up it'd probably take half the country with it.

Stay safe, Angus. Like SIK said: Don't hesitate to get out if it turns bad.

Wouldn't that be ironic, destroyed from within our own heartland .....   :uhoh

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
Something is not right with our old planet, lots of seismic activity; there are reports of earthquakes almost every day in news over past 2-3 moths. Today China got hit bad and who knows what's next! I hope they slow down before getting worst.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2010, 07:04:40 PM »
Angus, no disrespect I hope, but how the heck do you pronounce "Eyjafjallajökull" in an english/american way that somewhat sounds like the way it's supposed to?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »
It is a tongue-breaker :D
Anyway, now he ashes are falling and they stop air-traffic. This will affect the N-Atlantic now. With an unfortunate wind direction, trans-Atlantic flights might stop.
Ash-fall forecast here:
http://www.ruv.is/sites/default/files/skjol/oskuspa.jpg
And a heck of a picture, - probably the best farm in the country, right under the kettle:

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2010, 02:35:32 AM »
Angus, yo' prediction has come to pass - all UK airports are suspending flights this morning due to the ash plume heading our way.

Ah well, at least it ain't Krakatoa going BOOOOOOM again.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2010, 02:46:00 AM »
Naaa, but we have a much bigger one ready to go :D
Now, here is a link to how the name of the mountain is pronounced. Happy days practizing :devil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull.ogg
And the Reuters report:
http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2010/04/15/eg_hef_aldrei_sed_svona_adur/
I live at the edge of the evacuation area, so I do not have to move. Since we run a guesthouse we have got to know some of the traffic involved, both tourists and people we know.
The evacuation went very smoothly, and actually started before an eruption was confirmed. Scientists you see....and ours that work in the Volcano field do not have to travel the globe to acqure a lot of practice...and data.
 :aok

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2010, 03:21:26 AM »
All air traffic is stopped in Norway now. Rest of scandinanvia and northern europe will follow or has stopped. Also some flights out of the UK are stopped but i dont think they have closed everything down yet. Depends on the wind direction. Hopefully it will turn west towards the US and stop before it gets there.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2010, 04:14:23 AM »
Stay safe Angus, and an odd question, but would you happen to have any rooms open for hire? Asking on behalf of a friend who loves volcano's.

Cheers bud,

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 04:41:13 AM »
<imagines Wurzel's friend setting off for Iceland in a kayak 'cos there's no flights>

;)
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 04:45:36 AM »
<imagines Wurzel's friend setting off for Iceland in a kayak 'cos there's no flights>

;)
:D