Author Topic: Wow...just...Wow  (Read 727 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Wow...just...Wow
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 08:59:35 AM »
Not really, nobody 'wins' in a collision, just like nobody 'wins' in a headbutt.  Also, with that truck frame, crumple zones misalligned with the other cars (think of tissue smacking tissue vs tissue smacking brick), high center of gravity, and a 30-40 foot longer stopping distance, you pay a lot for more mass.do you understand what those crumple zones are supposed to do? and/or why a vehicle looks so horrible, but yet the occupants are unscathed?

You also forget, you're not always hitting a smartcar; what if you hit another Suburban?  When that happens, the combined kintetic energy of the monsters causes them to take much more damage than cars that were about the same weight as each other.personally, i hate the smart cars, and think they're silly....but they've got a fairly high crash rating i htink.....

Not only that, but SUV's are a heck of a lot tougher to maneuver, which makes a crash more likely.  The perceived safety of a large frame is hardwired into our brains.  In fact, the high hip point causes us to feel dominant, as we are looking down on many other vehicles.  This means that we will be more aggressive, leading to the conclusion that increased perceived safety diminishes actual safety.people driving suv's, that understand them, do not drive them aggressively in 90% of the cases. the "aggressive" driving most witness with them, is people that have no clue what those vehicles can/cannot do, and they're driving them as if they were their honda civic.

Think of it this way: if I told you that I had coated your car with nitroglycerin (explodes upon rough handling), you would drive very carefully, and have a low chance of an accident.  You would do that even if it wasn't true, if you believe what I was saying.  However, if I said that I had given your car energy shields and that you were truly invincible, you would drive like a derranged maniac, killing many other drivers.  You'd find out the hard way however, that that wasn't true, and you end up rolled over bleeding out in a ditch.

This is rather extreme, but it serves to prove a point: the safer you feel, the more risks you take; the less safe you feel, the fewer risks you take.

-Penguin
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Wow...just...Wow
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »
When my sister had her first little one, she went from driving a BMW Z-3 to driving an Infinity Q56 that her hubby bought for her. In the first year she hit 2 cars in parking lots and 1 at a light. Basically just not used to the size of it as compared to the much smaller Beemer.

that was my point......you put it in a better way i think, than i did.....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)