Author Topic: Mustang Mk I  (Read 9174 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Mustang Mk I
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
I myself (being a pony driver 90% of the time) would much rather have a 51A vs any four cannoned bird.  Most of the other aircraft in AH have 3+ variants, about time for the first Mustang to be avalible.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well... the P-51 (20mm armed Mustang) was the first variant used by the USAAF.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »
Well... the P-51 (20mm armed Mustang) was the first variant used by the USAAF.  :D

Are you sure about that?  The first fighter version of the Mustang procured by the USAAF was the P-51A equipped with 4x .50 cals, not even the A-36 was equipped with 20mm cannons.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2010, 07:46:43 PM »

The A36 was the first USAAF Allison Mustang to see combat and it was in the MTO.  Seems to me you tried this argument before too.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
Are you sure about that?  The first fighter version of the Mustang procured by the USAAF was the P-51A equipped with 4x .50 cals, not even the A-36 was equipped with 20mm cannons.

ack-ack
He just wants his 20mm cannons and damn all honesty to get them.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
He just wants his 20mm cannons and damn all honesty to get them.

Yeah, it sure looks like that's his main motivation.  Though, what good are 20mm cannons if you fly at 35,000ft in this game?  Nothing to shoot at other than the clouds.

ack-ack

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:12 AM »
I would not mind seeing a Mustang I/P-51A at some point (non 20mm model) just to fill it out. It was used in Burma and in the ETO as a Tac R fighter. Its not about if its "better" to me, I would like it in the game just because it was an interesting fighter, and I can see its use in SEA setups. Should be there for the same reason we have the P-38G and the F4U-1 and the P-39D. I have no doubt it would get a niche crown in the MA as well.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »
I would not mind seeing a Mustang I/P-51A at some point (non 20mm model) just to fill it out. It was used in Burma and in the ETO as a Tac R fighter. Its not about if its "better" to me, I would like it in the game just because it was an interesting fighter, and I can see its use in SEA setups. Should be there for the same reason we have the P-38G and the F4U-1 and the P-39D. I have no doubt it would get a niche crown in the MA as well.
This I agree with.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2010, 01:25:51 PM »
 Yes,I've refrained from commenting in this discussion mostly because I think this A/C should be included at some point.

Do we need it before the Japanese planeset is filled out,I think not,do we need more Russian planes first,of course.

This said I'd think that an Allison powered A36/P51 would be a disired addition.

:salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »

I agree completely.

ack-ack

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2010, 02:59:54 PM »
This plane was dogchit.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »
You are probably right Kazaa and you have good reason to fear a plane you could not fly well.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »
You are probably right Kazaa and you have good reason to fear a plane you could not fly well.

Oh, just like the majority of players in this game, I don't think Kazaa would have any troubles shooting you down.  While you claim to fly at 30,000+ to conserve fuel, we all know the real reason is that you're just not very good. So I wouldn't be throwing the "you could not fly well" bit around when you're incapable of flying anything with what could be considered any sort of skill.

BTW-  We're still waiting on the stuff about the Iwo Mustangs...but like I mentioned in a previous post that is probably something we'll be waiting for many years.  I would ask you to post anything that supports your claim of the first fighter version of the Mustang the USAAF received were equipped with 20mm cannons, but again, I feel that we'll be waiting many years for something you can't provide.

I'm sure glad you never made TAS, it horrifies me how you would have modeled planes in that fraudware game.

ack-ack

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »
the P51a was very important to the RAF . They provided a longer range fighter bomber for the RAF that had a higher speed at low level than the Spit V. With full load out (4X .50  with 2X .303 and 2X 500lb , or 4X 20mm and 2 X 500lb) it was 35mph faster than the spit Vb. In fact it was the first RAF fighter to fly over Germany in 1942 while attacking Dortmund-Ems with No. 316 squadron (polish).

while Most of the P51a's with the .50 load out the  quad 20mm WAS used by the RAF at squadron level over Europe. it was faster on the deck and up to 15K than the contemporary German machines apart from the FW190 . The P51A was also noted as having a much smoother  flight controls than the P51B/C/D's . it also had better directional stblity due to the different shape of the engine cowling and narrower radiator intake.

I am Not referring to the A36   which although was similar had different arrangements  of  weapons to that of the P51A. Also of note P51A's armed with cannons in USAAF service were called F-6A re-con aircraft and over 150 of these  were ordered and delivered (not the ones retained after pearl harbour) which fought in the front line.
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
the P51a was very important to the RAF . They provided a longer range fighter bomber for the RAF that had a higher speed at low level than the Spit V. With full load out (4X .50  with 2X .303 and 2X 500lb , or 4X 20mm and 2 X 500lb) it was 35mph faster than the spit Vb. In fact it was the first RAF fighter to fly over Germany in 1942 while attacking Dortmund-Ems with No. 316 squadron (polish).

while Most of the P51a's with the .50 load out the  quad 20mm WAS used by the RAF at squadron level over Europe. it was faster on the deck and up to 15K than the contemporary German machines apart from the FW190 . The P51A was also noted as having a much smoother  flight controls than the P51B/C/D's . it also had better directional stblity due to the different shape of the engine cowling and narrower radiator intake.

I am Not referring to the A36   which although was similar had different arrangements  of  weapons to that of the P51A. Also of note P51A's armed with cannons in USAAF service were called F-6A re-con aircraft and over 150 of these  were ordered and delivered (not the ones retained after pearl harbour) which fought in the front line.

The Allison Mustang was important.  the 93 Cannon armed 51As were not in comparison to the 600+ machine gun armed birds. of the RAF.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
To be fair, that's 1 in every 6, and the US used them for armed recon and light attack work (strafing) in the MTO. I can't recall if they were called F4s or F5s or what, but essentially the same plane with a camera mounted behind the pilot's headrest and a bubbled for the lense to look out.

On the one hand, I wouldn't want to see them abused as badly as I bet they would be. On the other hand, I bet folks that generally would HO and run wouldn't get too far because of the atrocious performance. It would be like a P-40 with cannons. Sure, it's got the cannons, but so does a typthie/tempest!

If HTC ever gets the perked ord working, and we get the A-36/Mustang Mk.I, I'd like to see the 50cal option and then a slightly perked 20mm option. It would have its uses, including taking towns down.

Out of curiousity, anybody know how much ammo they stored per gun? The C-hog has craploads of ammo, but the british planes tend to be really conservative. It's a US plane, but built for the RAF, so I wonder whether it leans to the light ammo load or the heavy ammo load.