Author Topic: P-51 flaps  (Read 545 times)

Offline Forker

• Copper Member
P-51 flaps
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »
I was fighting a La7 this morning in a P-51; I had 2 notches of flaps engaged when the La shot my left flap off. I ended up shooting the La down and with damage started back to base. As I started back I disengaged the flaps but immediately the plane started to roll over to the right with no left flap engaged. I reengaged and disengaged the flaps several times but I kept experiencing the left flap being down without it being there. Please fix this.
Thanks,
Forker
Lord, help me to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: P-51 flaps
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:02:09 AM »
Feature, not bug. Flap is visually "missing" to show damage, but functions as "jammed in place"

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:16 AM »
So the question is why not just show it jammed?
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »
So the question is why not just show it jammed?

because its added "eye candy". More polys and such will slow marginal computers down more and make the game un-playable for those computers. Picture a guy getting 20 fps in a fight, then him getting a flap stuck his fps could drop into the single digits.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
In the more recent graphical updates when you "lose" a flap or elevator, the remnants (ribs, tattered material) are in fact still there.

It's just that it's going to be a while before every plane is up to this new evolving standard of eye candy.

If you look back in the forums you'll see folks asking (for many a year!) for 2 flap settings, "stuck" and "gone" -- instead of this combination of the 2. I was/am one of them.

Now that we have "surface damage" as well as part damage, has anybody noticed anything new with the flaps? Can they be damaged without jamming? Do they lose lift?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
In the more recent graphical updates when you "lose" a flap or elevator, the remnants (ribs, tattered material) are in fact still there.

It's just that it's going to be a while before every plane is up to this new evolving standard of eye candy.

If you look back in the forums you'll see folks asking (for many a year!) for 2 flap settings, "stuck" and "gone" -- instead of this combination of the 2. I was/am one of them.

Now that we have "surface damage" as well as part damage, has anybody noticed anything new with the flaps? Can they be damaged without jamming? Do they lose lift?

Don't think the new damage system is in the MA other than the changes to the damage to horizontal stabilizers.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
Oh well.. Here's hoping!

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:29:58 PM »
I noticed the same.
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
If you set the good flap to the same setting as the jammed flap, the plane will fly normally.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song