Author Topic: New Base Capture System / Troop Involvement  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: New Base Capture System / Troop Involvement
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »
I'd rather see the troops to capture a base increased, 10 troops for a small base, 20 for a medium and 30 for a large field.  V-base and standard ports would still take 10.  Just my .02 cents

And, and, dont forget the UDT/Seal units to clear the beaches for the amphibious assault that can sneak in undetected by the radar.......  :neener:

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »
Must be a tough troop to be able to get shot by 20mm airplane machine guns, get worked on by a medic in the field, and then has enough strength to go help with the capture.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 07:24:44 PM »
Well, doesn't seem like anything much would be changed in this area  :D

I know this may have been wished for earlier...my searching didn't find anything (not that it means much)

while the game is loading sometimes you get the little tid bit that states did you know it takes 10 uninjured troops to....

Well seeing how you can shoot an M3 and have a round go through where the troops sit and not die...I wish to ask that maybe you lose a couple for a hit like this

I have no idea of the difficulty in implementing this but is this something that might be possible or even wanted
I just feel that if a tank round can hit an M3 on the tail and survive at least there is some form of debilitating damage inflicted, as this just seems like we have super troopers that can catch a 85mm round between their teeth.

If not...oh well...I'm not going to stop playing   :lol :lol

See Waysin2's response to this, just plain funny  :rofl  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,286473.0.html

I have said this before in this post, but I will word it differently this time.  This is a simulation of WW2 air combat.  I read somewhere that HiTech incorporated the base capture to facilitate air combat.  Now that we have the understanding on the simulation portion, how good of a gunner would someone actually have to be to place a pin point hit directly on a moving, ducking troop while traveling close to 250 mph?  Wouldn't some troops be hit by shrapnel and survive? 

Okay, even if you don't agree there.  What is more of an actual simulation of combat, a guy running out to save his wounded comrade, or a guy peeping out of the hangar waiting to see enemy troops entering his town, jumping in his plane and racing head on into heavy defenses to shoot at least one of the enemy troopers?  Did Chuck Norris ever fly fighters?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »
HiTech,

, just another tool in my belt to offset, the gamer who just shot one  or two troops

It is very intentional that 1 troop death spoils the capture.

HiTech

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
What is more of an actual simulation of combat, a guy running out to save his wounded comrade, or a guy peeping out of the hangar waiting to see enemy troops entering his town, jumping in his plane and racing head on into heavy defenses to shoot at least one of the enemy troopers?  Did Chuck Norris ever fly fighters?

The entire idea of being able to 'capture' a base while the enemy is rolling aircraft is fake.  So to use the game play platform as a foundation of realism is a stretch of the imagination.  Once you start talking capture or strats, the governing factor for ideas needs to be bettering gameplay, not realism imo.  Hitech hit the nail on the head by saying with the current way the game works, i.e. unlimited lives, there's no incentive to go heal a wounded troop when you can take 10 fresh ones.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
Hitech,

I want to thank you for your input, and I get it.  Taking a look back, my title, "New Base Capture System" was not appropriate.  "New Vehicle Option" maybe?  My intention to suggest a "fun" option, has been characterized as an attempt to "cheat" the base defender (I get that also). 

Not intending to give the thread a bump, but I would like to let it end on a clear note, base capture is one of my least favorite areas of what I think is the most fun air combat game out there.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
There is some merit in this idea but let me take this just a bit further.

First of all, let's allow both friendly and enemy troop carriers to drop troops which will run toward the maproom (which they already do).  Expand the distance at which they currently do so and give them some better armament than a .45 cal (like rifles).  Each group of 10 troops would include 9 infantymen and 1 medic.  All ten would need to get into the maproom to take it.

Now the fun starts.

Troops could be let go so as to intercept enemy troops.  As opposing troops came within a predetermined distance of one another they would stop to engage.  Firing could be determined by a random "die roll" to determin effects (i.e. 1-2=no effect, 3-4=wounded, 5-6=killed).  It would be assumed each opposing troop fires simultaneously with results being determined for both sides.  A wounded troop could continue to fire but his die roll would be modified to 1-2=no effect, 3-6=killed.  The medic could not engage, but could "help" a set number (3-5) troops to simulate the supplies he could carry into combat.  A "helped" troop would again have his die roll modified to 1-3=no effect, 4-6=killed.  As a troop was killed, the furthest back enemy troop could advance until he was no longer the furthest back, then he would have to engage and another would advance.  In this way the "winning" troop column could advance past the opposition.

Furthermore, friendly troops entering a maproom would be allowed to live for 10-15 minutes occupying the maproom and engaging any opposing troops as they tried to enter as in the above outline.

Vehicles could fire on and kill troops as normal, however, they could equally easily kill friendly troops in friendly fire incidents.  Straffing could kill none, some or all of the troops in the maproom.

The person dropping the troops would have to remain alive, and within a specified distance for his troops to stay alive.  If he died, ended sortie, etc., his troops would dissapear.

I think this might add some fun and a new dimension to the ground game.

Oh, I forgot to add, in addition to all the normal scoring mechanisms, a player dropping troops could also be scored on how his troops did in battle.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:48:47 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »
Sounds interesting Eagle, However you have to have a Ying/Yang, a North and a South, etc., so by adding what you have described HT would have to incorporate its nemesis as below somehow as a means to defeat the troops as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_Bomb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-personnel_mine

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »
HiTech dream of capture.

1. Drop troops on town creates a spawn.
2. In building 1st person shooter fights to take over the town.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
HiTech dream of capture.

That would be awesome.  Coding that aspect of the game aside, which in itself would be a massive undertaking, do you think the game is at a point, size wise, where players could be running around in first person fashion without hindering the overall emphasis of the game's focus of aerial combat?  I personally feel like the game would have to grow substantially to be able to support this mode of gameplay.  Or perhaps that in itself is the chicken and egg paradox, would a first person shooter element to the game bring in more players?   :headscratch:

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »
That would be awesome.  Coding that aspect of the game aside, which in itself would be a massive undertaking, do you think the game is at a point, size wise, where players could be running around in first person fashion without hindering the overall emphasis of the game's focus of aerial combat?  I personally feel like the game would have to grow substantially to be able to support this mode of gameplay.  Or perhaps that in itself is the chicken and egg paradox, would a first person shooter element to the game bring in more players?   :headscratch:
personally i say urban terrains should have infantry style combat which GVs and aircraft can still be in effect. The infantry could defend a lone tiger at the map room while 2 invading 251s with a sherman lead and a support M8 would drop 20 troops out and take flanking routes on the tiger while a .50 cal and an Mg42 defends from the 3rd story of a building and in the process pinning the flanking infantry :aok then a panzerfaust shoots from a side building exploding the unprotected armored car. Then in a counter-attack the tiger and 15 men push the remaining 10 troops, their 251s, and sherman out of town and set a defensive perimeter around the South edge of town... Picture this while reading it... imagine the possibilities :) ----BUT---- dont allow the troops to be deployed out of running range from map rooms in order to stop the CoD style of gameplay from interfering too much on the rest of the game
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2010, 11:44:18 AM »
HiTech dream of capture.

That would be cool.  I was trying to come up with something that uses what's already there without a lot of additional coding.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.