Author Topic: Industrial Center city blocks ord  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Industrial Center city blocks ord
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
Also, when you drop even a single bomb you start accelerating. If you pickle them off one by one over a very short distance it's not much of an issue. If you do it across the mega strat, your bombs won't be hitting where you want by the time you drop the last one. You'll be going faster than calibrated and bombs will start to drop long very quickly.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »
Also, when you drop even a single bomb you start accelerating. If you pickle them off one by one over a very short distance it's not much of an issue. If you do it across the mega strat, your bombs won't be hitting where you want by the time you drop the last one. You'll be going faster than calibrated and bombs will start to drop long very quickly.

Quite true Krusty, but a long delay or bombing pattern does nothing to change this.  This will happen across a mega strat whether your bombs are delayed or pickled.  Also, with town or strat buildings you don't really need to be precise in most cases.  (Unless of course you are working with weee little bombs)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 11:25:14 AM »
just use the MOAB of AHII and fly the Lanc with the 4 grander  :D :D :D this baby doesnt need an intro :D
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
Quite true Krusty, but a long delay or bombing pattern does nothing to change this.  This will happen across a mega strat whether your bombs are delayed or pickled.  Also, with town or strat buildings you don't really need to be precise in most cases.  (Unless of course you are working with weee little bombs)

You are correct that it doesn't change with a delay. I guess it just takes your mind off the fact that you know you're going for mass random damage, and don't care where the bombs land as long as they make something go "boom" when they do!

I was also pointing it out for folks that salvo 1 trying to put the bombs at the corners of "blocks" to get the most damage. After the first egg you're not hitting those corners anymore.

PoTAYto, poTAHto, I guess.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »
then wouldnt setting your speed fix the issue of accelerating? .speed XXX
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »
<snip>  The only time where I see salvo and delay being of value to me is if I happen to be under heavy attack and want to get to my gun fast but I hardly ever seem to have this problem.

Your drop will be interrupted if you leave the bombsight or cockpit during a salvo drop with delay. Worse, the bombs start dropping again when you return to either cockpit or bombsight position.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 02:23:34 PM »
then wouldnt setting your speed fix the issue of accelerating? .speed XXX

No, because your .speed means you climb or dive to maintain that speed, because you can't use auto climb while in the bombsite, and because any variation in climb/drop vastly throws off your aiming point.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
You have to remember that each drone is dropping a 250Lb bomb also. So your hitting that area with 750 lb worth of ord.

to add...

250lb = .315 vs hardness value

so 3x 250lb bombs = .945.

So indeed yes, you can drop one 250lb bomb (1 per drone) and kill a city block rated at .8438

If you are attacking the city strat use the 250lb bomb package as the 500lb would be overkill.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:08:22 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »
In other words, close blast radii reinfoce each other, creating more boom than dropping separate bombs!

I found this out a long long time back with a Ju88.

I was having fun pickling a single 50kg bomb at an old strat. I think it was a city. I would drop a single 50kg on a single building, and it didn't go down. I came around and repeated. It was still up. A third finally finished it off. However, choosing another building I dropped 2 in salvo, and together they both were able to take down the building in 1 drop.

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »
Your drop will be interrupted if you leave the bombsight or cockpit during a salvo drop with delay. Worse, the bombs start dropping again when you return to either cockpit or bombsight position.

As you can tell I just don't use it lol. :D    :salute
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
You have to remember that each drone is dropping a 250Lb bomb also. So your hitting that area with 750 lb worth of ord.

Duh

0.8438 of a 1000 pound (844 pounds) requirement is a bit more than 250 X 3 (750 pounds).

Disregard the above.  I see I missed some other post about object hardness.  I thought that the hardness was a percentage of 1000.  So how is hardness calculated?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:59:44 PM by 2Slow »
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »
You are correct that it doesn't change with a delay. I guess it just takes your mind off the fact that you know you're going for mass random damage, and don't care where the bombs land as long as they make something go "boom" when they do!

I was also pointing it out for folks that salvo 1 trying to put the bombs at the corners of "blocks" to get the most damage. After the first egg you're not hitting those corners anymore.

PoTAYto, poTAHto, I guess.

The 4 corner strike is quite effective.  With my single salvo I know I am waisting some ord.  That is why I drop along the avenue seperating the blocks.  Since we are limited to delays of less than one second one cannot get a delay salvo to stretch out to the four corner target point.
2Slow
TANSTAAFL

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »
So how is hardness calculated?

Hardness is bases on 1k of ord.

Where most get confused is because of how AH models bomb strength.

These are the hardness settings:

The gun and rocket power can be found here

Regarding bomb strength, I'd have to dig through my notes to put together a full list.  Just from info I have readily on hand:
2,000lb = 1.8197 vs hardness value (off the top of my head if that's not it it's close)
1,000lb = 1.000 vs hardness value
500lb = .568 vs hardness value

So a 250lb bomb is really closer to a 315lb bomb and a 2k bomb is roughly a 1,800lb bomb.

Which is why 3x250lb bombs will kill something set to a hardness of .8xxx
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 09:44:11 AM »
Splash damage multiplies that (645) by a bit more to do the job.

Also, the .8xx is a new hardness, for the new city squares, compared to the old city building hardness. I hadn't noticed it until it was pointed out in this thread.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »
Hardness is bases on 1k of ord.

Where most get confused is because of how AH models bomb strength.
Regarding bomb strength, I'd have to dig through my notes to put together a full list.  Just from info I have readily on hand:
2,000lb = 1.8197 vs hardness value (off the top of my head if that's not it it's close)
1,000lb = 1.000 vs hardness value
500lb = .568 vs hardness value

So a 250lb bomb is really closer to a 315lb bomb and a 2k bomb is roughly a 1,800lb bomb.

Which is why 3x250lb bombs will kill something set to a hardness of .8xxx

Thank you, thank you, and thank you.  I was starting to feel mathematically challenged.  Now I see it is a matter of a good intelligence source.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:51:19 AM by 2Slow »
2Slow
TANSTAAFL