Author Topic: WWI Arena Idea  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: WWI Arena Idea
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
The problem of side balancing can only be solved within the space between people's ears.  If people actually cared about fair fights, they'd switch sides to even things out.  Nothing HTC can do will change the mentality of people.  Too many of them only care about getting a kill, or covering their lack of skills by hiding in the cloud of green icons.

This is the truth.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »
U can force balance by makng ppl fly lesser planes and letting the ones that are outnumbered fly planes with an advantage.  
20 crap planes flying in a gaggle will still kill 1 or 2 great planes.

There are three contries with two bases each. Plenty of room for others to choose to up from a distant base and start a DIFFERENT fight.
Yep, and then the horde finds its way to your little 2v2 fight and it all starts over again.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline kotrenin

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
Keep the 3 country layout but put mountains in the direct flight path between  bases.  If you fly to the inside of the mountains you end up in the 3 country grinder.  If you fly to the outside you have more room for 1v1's but you will have to fly farther.

Although I'm happy with the way it is now.
He's a lover, not a fighter... but he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8  http://one_foggy.tripod.com/sounds/afu_jokeson.wav

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 12:03:51 PM »
I was flying last night and was interested in 1v1 or 1 v2, there was one furball going between 2 bases and nothing else. I just took off from the other country field and head to the empty spot. With in 1 min someone else took off from the opposing field and we had our 1v1s and a 2v2s. With 2 country it will almost always be 1 furball with no other options.

HiTech

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
Yep.

We've had times when we just split 4 guys from the squad into two different countries, go to two opposing bases where nothing is happening and fight between ourselves.

About 3 minutes later, guys split off from the big furball and come to the new small one.

It's all between the players' ears as someone else said.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:26:13 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:21 PM »
I was flying last night and was interested in 1v1 or 1 v2, there was one furball going between 2 bases and nothing else. I just took off from the other country field and head to the empty spot. With in 1 min someone else took off from the opposing field and we had our 1v1s and a 2v2s. With 2 country it will almost always be 1 furball with no other options.

HiTech
This is a good reason why having those alternate fields is almost a requirement.  the guys calling for single base per side (same one call for only two sides) are actually stripping away needed options.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline snagdoa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »

Warchief,

IMHO its exactly the opposite problem. 

This is an issue that had already been largly solved by the proper implementation of a 3 country system in the MA.  Its a LOT harder for a team to bulldoze 2 separate countries than it is in a 2 country situation.  The 2 weaker will always gang up on the 1 stronger.  Until the balence shifts, then alliances switch.

I think currently in the WWI because of the field layout, what you have devolved into are 2 country wars between opposing fields.  This allows a stable negative feedback to setup.  The 3rd country can not effectively get into the mix to destabalize it. 

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Wab

Have to agree with Rabbit :old:

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 03:32:41 AM »
-1! -1! -1! Bad idea unless you want the offline(offline mistions) and online modes to be the same(in a way)
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 08:05:45 AM »
As far as I'm aware from reading me history books, there were only two sides facing each other over No Man's Land on the Western Front in WW1, the Allies and the Central Powers - so, on historical grounds, I say it should be two sides in any WW1 simulation, not three.

:cool:

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
As far as I'm aware from reading me history books, there were only two sides facing each other over No Man's Land on the Western Front in WW1, the Allies and the Central Powers - so, on historical grounds, I say it should be two sides in any WW1 simulation, not three.

:cool:

Arena play is  not a game about simulating WWI or WWII , we use simulated WWI & WWII planes in a game of air combat.

HiTech

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »
Every time I've logged into WWI lately there have only been two countries playing anyway with only an occasional single player from the third country logging on.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
Every time I've logged into WWI lately there have only been two countries playing anyway with only an occasional single player from the third country logging on.

Exactly.  And thats bad IMHO. 

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
ok heres what ive seen. rooks have 20, bish have 20 knights 10... knights never seem to have many players on.

rooks will fight bish only because no knights will come down to the northern rook base.
bish will send 15 planes up to knight to fight and others to rooks.

bish then complain about being ganged by rooks and completely leave the fight and go gang bang the knights.

rooks then all form up and go up to the knight/bish fight and kick both of their azzes... lol

bish are always complaining about rook numbers even if they are at par or out numbering rooks in the fight.

my suggestion.
make main battle area a 1v1v1 country base layout, add three 2 base areas with the following base layouts. RvN, RvB, NvB. that way if anyone wants to 1v1 or 2v2 they can go there and not complain about the "hord is coming"...
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/